current film strut

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

I did finally stream Uncut Gems. I generally love the other films by the Safdies that I've seen - The Pleasure of Being Robbed, Heaven Knows What and Good Time. I think Uncut Gems fell in the middle of the ranking for me, even with Heaven Knows What, behind Good Time, and ahead of Being Robbed. All are worth watching though. The Safdies know how to ratchet tension and also make movies about convincingly endearing low-lifes, which I like. Sandler was not irritating in his role as a total degenerate check-writer, and the character actors are perfectly cast. You see faces in those movies that you don't see on Hollywood casting call lists, I'll put it that way.

Watched Good Time. It's more unconventional than Uncut Gems - more interesting, for sure. I think I still enjoyed UG more, but would like to watch this again. This was unexpected at the end:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Since a lot of us are stuck at home streaming shit right now. Can we get more recommendations here, and less reviews. Movies are subjective, and not all of us have the same taste. Recommendations allow us to make up our own mind, and highlight the best.
     For example:

https://fantasticfungi.com/

- spidey
    klezmer electro-thug beats

My friends hated it, but I enjoyed it. 
    Seven Stages to Achieve Eternal Bliss By Passing Through the Gateway Chosen By the Holy Storsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Il3o-3iU-A
    - Diego

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Wife and I couldn’t finish uncut gems. Got half way through and just couldn’t be bothered. Trying to teach the joe exotic show and we are half way through episode two and bored. Why do they stretch these shows out so long? The pace is dreadfully slow. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    joe exotic

Loved this, car-crash tv at its best. A cast of duplicitous weirdos leaves you wondering who really is telling the truth. The only certainty is that people shouldn’t be allowed to own these animals. All of the fucking idiots deserve to be eaten.

dizzybull said:
    Wife and I couldn’t finish uncut gems. Got half way through and just couldn’t be bothered. Trying to teach the joe exotic show and we are half way through episode two and bored. Why do they stretch these shows out so long? The pace is dreadfully slow. 

We just re-watched Beetlejuice the other day and it holds up - you can always watch that again.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Seven Stages to Achieve Eternal Bliss By Passing Through the Gateway Chosen By the Holy Storsh

- Diego

That looks like something up my street.  Thanks D***o!

Jimster said:
    SPlDEY said:

- Diego

That looks like something up my street.  Thanks D***o!

Jesus I thought you were calling him dildo for a second. 

SPlDEYDuderonomy

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

This was amazing. On Netflix (most regions). Got watching Neverending Story for the first time as a child vibes.
    ketan

• Oh! That is a spinoff/sequel to my partner's all time favorite Ghibli movie, "Whisper of the Heart", which is so adolescently earnest it shouldn't work but kinda does. Try that one, although it's less fantastical. Also on netflix at the moment.

The guy who directed Whisper of the Heart was sort of chosen to continue the Ghibli dynasty beyond Miyazaki and Takahata, the two main guys, who were getting old and wanting to retire even in the 90s, but then he died in his 40s after making that one movie and the two old dudes kept making movies for another 25 years. The Takahata/Miyazaki ones are generally the most popular but these lesser-known ones are good too.

My kids love SG, but we haven't seen this one, so thanks... coming through with a new Ghibli is like coming up on a raer to my kids.

This movie was actually bad bad.. not good. I mean you might get something out of it, but it's rough. There are def some moments that were amusing, and probably it will be fire for like a Netflix audience or something. Too bad the film wasn't as good as the book, or the poster, or the trailer. Nic Cage tho!

- Damo

Thanks heard that from others - but I keep hearing MANDY (Cage-r) is amazing.  

I'm trying to think now - who has done Lovecraft well?

ketan said:

So I’m starting to think there is something wrong with me or maybe I’m just getting old. Mandy should have been right up my alley but I just couldn’t get through it. I finally gave up. 

dizzybull said:
    ketan said:

So I’m starting to think there is something wrong with me or maybe I’m just getting old. Mandy should have been right up my alley but I just couldn’t get through it. I finally gave up. 

This begs the question: what movies do hold up for you/are you enjoying in your advanced age?  

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    on the Ghibli tip, what do you guys recommend for a four year old? My daughter loved Totoro, and I've been putting on random Ghibli films that show up on Netflix, but she wasn't that into The Moving Castle or The Secret World of Arriety. I think she'll enjoy Princess Mononoke, but I don't know what else is more on the cute animals side of things.

another animated film she did enjoy a lot was this one:

SPlDEY

I thought my kids would be bored by The Tale of Princess Kaguya but they both seemed to love it - they were 4 and 6ish when they saw it.   
    SPlDEY

ppadilha said:
    Bacurau is finally opening in the US (and I think the UK). I highly recommend it, it's like a tropical George Romero movie.

This is available as a virtual screening via my local cinema for the next five days.  Good idea (I think it’s Kino’s idea).  Will report back.

ketan said:
    dizzybull said:
    ketan said:

This begs the question: what movies do hold up for you/are you enjoying in your advanced age?  

Yeah I was asking myself the same thing. Let’s see... 

parasite

Sorry to bother you (yes even that last part)

Moon

The Irishman

Dolomite is my name

I can’t really remember because I watch a lot of them on airplanes and then immediately forget them. Well at least I USED TO. 

dizzybull said:
    Sorry to bother you (yes even that last part)

yeah, it was a great movie and a fully committed ending- how could you be mad?!  not for everyone, tho.

have you ever watched the apu trilogy by satyajit ray?  given the other items on your list (except sorry to bother you!), i feel like you might vibe with them.

ketan said:
    I thought my kids would be bored by The Tale of Princess Kaguya but they both seemed to love it - they were 4 and 6ish when they saw it.   

I was blown away by that film. The animation is phenomenal!

- Damo

SOUL POWER 

I think this Documentary is worth mentioning right now.

Peace,

- Spidey
    ppadilha

• ppadilha said:
    on the Ghibli tip, what do you guys recommend for a four year old? My daughter loved Totoro, and I've been putting on random Ghibli films that show up on Netflix, but she wasn't that into The Moving Castle or The Secret World of Arriety. I think she'll enjoy Princess Mononoke, but I don't know what else is more on the cute animals side of things.

Mononoke is not cute animals... rewatched it recently and would not recommend for a four year old. Loads of blood and death.

That said, loads of other Ghiblis might suit. I haven't seen Pom Poko but it's all tanuki/raccoons. Kiki's Delivery Service is a good one for smaller people, though there's only really a talking cat as far as animals. Ponyo is like a Ghibli little mermaid. Try those.

• ketan said:
    ppadilha said:
    Bacurau is finally opening in the US (and I think the UK). I highly recommend it, it's like a tropical George Romero movie.

This is available as a virtual screening via my local cinema for the next five days.  Good idea (I think it’s Kino’s idea).  Will report back.

Bacurau is also playing on UK MUBI and there's some overlap with other countries' MUBI so it may be there too. It's on my list I'm slowly getting through - they're playing a Jean-Pierre Melville and a Bergman every week so I have to keep up with them too.

ppadilha said:

Mononoke is not cute animals... rewatched it recently and would not recommend for a four year old. Loads of blood and death.

That said, loads of other Ghiblis might suit. I haven't seen Pom Poko but it's all tanuki/raccoons. Kiki's Delivery Service is a good one for smaller people, though there's only really a talking cat as far as animals. Ponyo is like a Ghibli little mermaid. Try those.

tbh, my kids both saw Spirited Away when they were 4ish for the first time and it wasn't too scary for them.

Saw Bacurau last night and it's gold.  A lot of comparisons to Carpenter, which are warranted, but it also feel wholly original.  It's over two hours, but I didn't get bored as there’s lots to think about.  

ppadilha

Mondeyano said:

This was amazing. On Netflix (most regions). Got watching Neverending Story for the first time as a child vibes.

We watched this and it was awesome.  Bizarre in the best ways.  I need a concept album based on the vibes of the villain king. Kids were fascinated.  (Not on Netflix up north, but got a copy. )

- spidey

• Finally got around to BACURAU, what a fun trip. It's one of those movies that's so effortlessly good you're like "why isn't this the norm? how hard is it to make an enjoyable movie with visceral stuff and still have it communicate something and spark thought?"
    ketanppadilha

I'm sure many a strutteur visited the shop in its day...

SPlDEYklezmer electro-thug beats