Introduction, Strut appreciation and an offering

pladenpladen The boat can leave now....tell the crew. 6 Posts
edited March 2020 in Strut Central

Dear Soulstrut massive,

This is some sort of love letter.

I've been lurking around these parts for ages and I now have an opportunity to introduce myself, since I come bearing a gift as a token of my deep appreciation of all this community has offered throughout the years.

I am a Danish dj and music maker who's been at it for 30 some years (some of you might have noticed the mix Raj was kind enough to add around 2006 titled “Rock Science”).

I just recently released my newest offering “Direct To Tape” which is somewhat movie themed.

Streams are here:

https://soundcloud.com/steenrock/direct-to-tape

https://www.mixcloud.com/SteenRock/direct-to-tape/

and download here:

https://bit.ly/steenrock

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did making it.

Cassette tapes are in the making (given the current circumstances I can't say when they will be ready) and if any of you are interested in getting your hands on a copy, please let me know and I will reserve a batch for teh Strutteurs, free of charge.

A huge thanks to Raj for keeping this place afloat and a thank you all for sharing your deep knowledge in the past, present and future.

I hope you all will make it safely through this weird place in time,

sincerely

-Steen

PS. Off The Wall

DuderonomyketanSPlDEYJimsterDORppadilhapara11axElectrodedj_cityboyRAJYaga.Reactions.RecordLimit.Plural
TAGGED:

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dude, I for sure want one! Lmk if I can cover shipping  or whatever man, this mix is WILD!!

- Damo

• Oh shit, I'm a few songs in, this is great stuff! When I can make money again (freelance, three jobs cancelled so far, not eligible for any compensation...) I want a tape too. Post here when you've got some made.

Gonna check out your old school SS mix too now.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Same her Klez, freelance and being told nobody other than the NHS is hiring.  Noble cause it is, but it would be pissing into the wind financially.

THANKS, OB RISHI.

@Pladen, YES!

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Great mix. I can’t imagine how much time and planning went into it. 

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Possibly the best intro for a newcomer I’ve ever read. Welcome! 

• True, I didn't realize that was a literal Post 1. Hell of a debut.

• Just relistened to this. Still dope. I am a ride-or-die fan of actual scratching skills on display in DJ mixes when appropriate and wish that didn't seem to be on the downward trend.
    Duderonomy

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    aw shit! i just loaded this shit up on the ol soundcloud, this is much needed lock down vibes, welcome yo

EDIT: yo i'll cop a tape as well, i still have a good sized cassette collection and would to add this to it!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Respect! I'd love a tape copy of this whenever that may be.  Please put me down for one.

• pladenpladen The boat can leave now....tell the crew. 6 Posts
    Thanks so much for the kind words, so glad you guys like it.

Still no news on when the tapes will be ready, but I'll keep you posted here.

Just relistened to this. Still dope. I am a ride-or-die fan of actual scratching skills on display in DJ mixes when appropriate and wish that didn't seem to be on the downward trend.

I kept the scratching to a somewhat minimum this time around as I feel like I haven't really evolved much the past 10 years.

Maybe I should get back to practicing.

Listening back to "Rock Science" in the process of making this current mix I found it too scratch heavy.

Guess the keyword is "appropriate".

• I fall probably pretty far on the scratch-heavy side of the appropriateness axis. I like plenty. Like how those old DJ Yoda cut n paste mixes from the early 2000s had a couple baby scratches at the top of like every single vocal sample. 

That said you're probably right not to try to appeal to the 100 people left on earth who think like me that almost anything is improved by some turntablism.

Maybe this puts me even further into the minority but I would argue that if it's on beat, scratching in the context of a DJ mix doesn't have to be too advanced technique-wise. Not saying yours wasn't good BTW, just a general taste of mine.

Finally!

The tape is done and ready to be shipped.

Please PM me your addresses:

SPIDEY
    KLEZMER ELECTRO-THUG BEATS
    JIMSTER
    DJ_CITYBOY
    COVE

I need to get one to The Architect as well.
    Please PM me how I can reach you by mail.

klezmer electro-thug beatsketandj_cityboy

• Hell yeah! A man who follows through.
    I'd forgotten all about this and am back listening to it again. The tape's beautifully designed! Can't wait to rock this in the physical world.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Maybe this puts me even further into the minority but I would argue that if it's on beat, scratching in the context of a DJ mix doesn't have to be too advanced technique-wise. Not saying yours wasn't good BTW, just a general taste of mine.

I remember going to a DJ Expo years back and they had a guy demoing on three turntables who was the reigning dmc champion etc and had a big following of stans. I watched it and he was basically like a really good juggler - but with turntables instead of balls.  It was super-technical and... completely boring to listen to.  He had took it to a level beyond what it was supposed to be, for me.

I had watched a no-name kid of about 16 trying out a mixer earlier in the day and he was really funky - always knew where the beat was and kept it bumping.  Nothing we had never seen before but everyone could nod their head to it.

I found myself stood next to him at this dmc demo.  I told him he was better than this guy.  He didn't believe me, he said "I can't do all that".  I said "Nobody needs to do all that.  it's just not music anymore."

It's the same argument I have for bass players, there are guys and girls who are basically shredding Coltrane on lead bass, but it does nothing for me.  There is no attempt to complement the beat.  I bow down to their ability - I don't want to sound salty - but I wouldn't want to listen to it again, or buy it.  

Duderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatspladen

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    This mix is great. I've listened to it several times driving around. How long did it take to program and edit it together?

This mix is great. I've listened to it several times driving around. How long did it take to program and edit it together?

I'm very happy to hear that.

I sort of put records aside slowly over a year or so and also began taking mental notes when I saw/heard bits of dialogue I liked.
    As things accumulated, patterns started to show and from then on I'd say 2-3 months of fairly intense work.
    In my experience this sort of process seems to intensify exponentially and this was indeed the case this time around as well.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Randomly popped by for the first time in years and what do I see?
    The one Steen Rock up in this!
    And yes, this mix is – please save a copy for me.

Hope everyone is good and staying somewhat sane in these crazy times.

Cuddles, MD.
    Duderonomy

• Hi Steen, I would also appreciat if you could save a copy for my. Take care and stray healthy!
    DStrangelove

m_dejean said:

Randomly popped by for the first time in years and what do I see?
    The one Steen Rock up in this!
    And yes, this mix is – please save a copy for me.

Hope everyone is good and staying somewhat sane in these crazy times.

Cuddles, MD.

Hi MD,

Of course. Let's link up soon.

• Hell yeah! Steen, this rules!

Very high quality too - insert is heavy, printed cassette, etc. Can't wait to rock it how it was meant to be rocked. Thanks man.
    Duderonomypladen