Rap You're Liking

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    ketan said:
    Kirk is crazy

Is that the Jurassic Park island?

• Kaua'i? Probably, looks like it to me. COULD be O'ahu but I don't recognize the spot so I'm going Kaua'i, which I don't know as well

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    new gang starr album is so so welcome don't let me spoil the listen for you, but if you're thinking of giving it a pass then...

new earl album dropping tonight too. last album was really solid.

The Danny Brown album is   

Q Tip ex prod it and did several beats - some heat from Paul White too

• I really liked Dirty Laundry... interesting beat from Tip on that

The Griselda album is not a let down. Too many great songs to just post one. 

I need a Keisha Plum album.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I went to an afrobeats party here in LA a few weeks back and was kind of surprised by it, even though I'm probably super late to this. I'd only heard a couple afrobeats tracks from a few years ago when it started popping up, and I wasn't impressed. I've come up on some shit I actually like now:

Juls has some nice production
    ketan

for some reason I can't embed more than one video right now

ketan

• I get turned off too easily by a lot of Nigerian/Ghanaian rap for autotune overuse but there are some I like. I particularly like the production on this one.

older

yeah, the older stuff I remember hearing just seemed too tepid and auto-tuney. I like this newer stuff that's more laid back though, some of it has a bit a K Frimpong feel to it - I looked a little at Juls' Boiler Room set and he even opens with a K Frimpong track. They were also playing some Burna Boy at the party I went to, but I guess he's more afropop. I was just surprised to see a club full of american kids going nuts over music from Nigeria and Ghana, trying to sing along to choruses in Yoruba and shit.

• Haha I have tried to rap along to the middle Olamide track I posted. I was pretty unaware of a scene beyond West Africa and its immediate diaspora (e.g. there is similar music coming out of London by London artists, many of whom have connections to Ghana/Nigeria) so that's interesting to hear.

it's making its way to Brazil too, from talking to friends in São Paulo it seems like rappers and producers are into it but it hasn't really seeped out yet. A lot of current Brazilian hip-hop already sounds pretty close to this stuff, imo. A friend sent me this new track that just came out, it's straight up afrobeats:

wow - that juls posse cut is 

looks like grm daily is the spot!

• Did anyone follow Spark Master Tape back in like 2012-2014? extreme but he's back and I'm into it.
    this is some "one verse a day" thing he did last year I've been enjoying. some weird choices of beat (mambo no. 5???) but he pulls off shit I would not expect

Yeah, I liked Spark bitd!  Nice.

I'm going to see Cam rap on Friday and pretty excited.  There is some heat on Purple Haze 2

Royce getting better with age?

Some impressive songs on his last album and suggests he's in good form for his new one.

This is so facemeltingly good --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Written_Testimony

You should just make time for it one night to forget about the pandemic for a while. :slow burner: I'm tempted to not link a track but this is the last one with (strut fav) khruangbin:

I'm going to see Cam rap on Friday and pretty excited. There is some heat on Purple Haze 2

Oh yeah, so Cam comes out and is all into the motions but clearly lip-syncing.  This goes on, and the crowd was feeling disrespected.  I made some friends in the audience off that bullshit. Anyway, he was doing material from the new album so it was possible he was just not prepared, and hey, i'm in my 40s too - so I kinda get it. Thankfully, he eventually broke into a full set of classic material and I can confirm that he is one of the best to ever do it!  

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I heard parts of "Written Testimony" played on J Rocc's "Adventures In Stereo" show last night. Real good.

I should also point that I broke with the nation of islam at the same time Malcolm did when reading The Autobiography... as a kid (j/k), so I'm not claiming that Jay is a prophet or anything with his lyrics.  But his wordplay is nice.

•   on Written Testimony. 10 year wait paid off! I'd forgotten all about Jay. 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I slept.

Sampa The Great - Birds And The BEE9

Whole thing is FU-WAY-GO.  Some really good MUSIC under it all.

Electrode

i've been excited about the new Run The Jewels album dababy's album has some joints on it alc x conway primo x gunn (love the beat - shades of pete rock and four tet)
    Jimsterklezmer electro-thug beats

• ketan said:
    i've been excited about the new Run The Jewels album  

That video seems utterly appropriate for what we're living right now