my cat pissed on my 45s!

DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
so I go on vacation for a week...come home and my record room spells like piss. i'm thinking it's just my cat's litter box because that's in the next room over (laundry room) and my brother never cleaned his box so it made sense.few days later, room still stinks. i do some investigating and my 45s on the bottom shelf of my turntable desk are soaked in cat urine and the sleeves are clawed the fuck up.i use mini-crates to store my 45s...about 60 per crate. i'd say a good 3-4 crates are pissed on. the surrounding ones soaking up the moisture and odor. mold is beginning to grow on some....HELP!anyone been in this situation before???not looking forward to sorting thru urine-drenched 45s and cleaning them one by one and re-sleeving them.any advice??? fucking cat!!!

Comments

• DigginDaveDigginDave 11 Posts
    not looking forward to sorting thru urine-drenched 45s and cleaning them one by one and re-sleeving them.

Hmm... don't think there's a lot of alternatives if you want to save your 45s. And if I were you I wouldn't wait too long to do so because the acid in the piss might damage your playing surface.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    craigslist

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    wear a face mask, wear gloves, do it soon, do it outside if you can - you might have to use bleach, get rid of the ones you can, do not leave your cat with people who won't clean its box and/or don't give it love and attention while its primary care-giver goes away for a whole week.
    i'd piss on shit, too.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My record organization system was heavily influenced by a cat my parents had...it peed in the corner. Pops' records were alphabetized...all his Beatles records still smell like feline weewee. Instead of being due to ADD, my haphazard genre-melding shelving styles are actually diversifying my funds...spreading risk...

I sometimes borrow Beatles records from my dad. It's probably been, what--35 or 40 years? Them things still smell 80% of cat piss. Not fresh, but most of the subtle (and not so subtle) notes are still present: you take a big deep inhale, and it is cat pee.* ahhhhhhhhh.....

I think you're screwed. Re-sleeve will help, but I'm not sure it'll be enough. You're up against millions of years of evolution. Cat pee is hardcore bro.

*and, just like spoiled milk, you MUST smell those records...

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    my cat pissed on a small stack of records i had on the floor near the pool table when i lived at my dad's house many years back...they still faintly smell of cat piss but the records were all salvaged.

the 45s im more worried about because a) more valuable, and b) less protection (thin 45 sleeve)

i think they'll be ok...most of them at least. but will always have that faint piss smell to them

i got to work so my adventure in pissland shall begin tomorrow. wish me luck fellas

• lemon juice gets rid of the smell of cat piss.

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    took a closer examination and F#!*...most of the labels are deteriorated and unreadable.

great...i'd say a good 150 or so are bad. the rest should be salvage-able.

gonna be stressing it all night at work. one of those things where i read some of y'alls horror stories and think it's never gonna happen to me....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Think of it as a baptism...

Seriously, though, they sell an enzyme based spray cleaner at some pet stores that will actually work on getting rid of the smell. It's expensive and you need to use a generous amount.

I moved into an apartment years ago and one of the rooms seems to have been a giant litter box - I had to take off the baseboard trim, spray the shit out of it and replace the trim, but it worked.

• Fratton79Fratton79 25 Posts
    Perhaps this could be used in an argument in favour of mp3's?

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    no pets

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    do not leave your cat with people who won't clean its box and/or don't give it love and attention while its primary care-giver goes away for a whole week.
    i'd piss on shit, too.

Yes, I'd change the thread title to "My Brother Forced My Cat to Piss On My 45s"

and seconded on the lemon juice, it may be best to cut your losses & scrub the labels for the ones you don't want to throw away.

• Enzyme based cleaners will break down the bacteria, which causes the smell. Don't fuck with anything else.

"Fuckin' enzymes, how do they work?"

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    this topic is so hilarious in the worst of ways

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn that suuuuuuucks
    sorry man

the enzyme based thing is called "nature's miracle". ive had varying success with it.

i hate looking through crates that have catpiss smell..unfortunately this is not a rare occurence. matter of fact, i never recall doing anything about the records i buy out these catpee crates. i probably jus wipe em down when i get home, plastic bag them and hope for the best.

getting two litter boxes is a good move to appease the pee fury of the cat.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Perhaps this could be used in an argument in favour of mp3's?

I went into a room where my Mp3's were pissed on

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    Wow... And I was pissed about my dog pissin on my speakers.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i am not down with cat life.
    that said i feel for you having lost records to a flood a while back.
    cat pee is really bad for you to breathe in so i'm just chiming in to say:

ventilation
    fans
    respirator
    calcium chloride pellets or 'damp rid' pellets to absorb the odor, mold and moisture

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i am not down with cat life.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    wear a face mask, wear gloves, do it soon, do it outside if you can - you might have to use bleach, get rid of the ones you can, do not leave your cat with people who won't clean its box and/or don't give it love and attention while its primary care-giver goes away for a whole week.
    i'd piss on shit, too.[/b]

all of this, bold is optional extra

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Pets belong outside.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    This happened because the litter box wasn't cleaned. Simple as that. Not that i don't really feel for you. Shitty.

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    i never did trust cats, they always seem to be up to no good

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Pets belong outside.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I love animals, but if that was my cat, s/he might be pound bound after that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love animals, but if that was my cat, s/he might be pound bound after that.

SPCA pound? Or Michael Vick pound?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Speaking about cats...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    ok this thread clearly needed to be bumped
    Duderonomyketan

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Every x-mas my family used to travel to my aunt & uncles. One year, as soon as we I arrived  I took my shoes off, left my stuff in my cousin’s room and ran into the living room and jumped on the sofa. Their family cat was underneath it, and I must have fucked him up because he shot out from under it with a yowl and vanished down the corridor. We started looking for the cat, and after half an hour found him dead under my cousin’s bed :( I felt guilty as fuck.
    But his final act was to find my Nikes and pee in them.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    how do you know he didn't piss in your shoes from beyond the grave?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I haven't had cats in a while, but we're about to re-up for the sake of our kids.  This thraed is serious business.