Dolemite

2»

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Glorifying murder, rape, poison pushing, bad diet, lies, and materialism is an abomination to all Black people and a curse on our race.

SHAME ON YOUR ENTERTAINMENT

LOL

- spidey

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Glorifying murder, rape, poison pushing, bad diet, lies, and materialism is an abomination to all Black people and a curse on our race.

SHAME ON YOUR ENTERTAINMENT

I was reflecting on this poast and thought of this one. found this cookin vid  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/opinion/dolemite-is-my-name.html

"With some distance, with a more nuanced appreciation of “bad” films, and with far more black-created film and TV today than there was in the 1970s, there’s a bit more freedom to celebrate a more complicated piece of black cinematic history — and even enjoy it."

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just watched it today. First of all Eddie Murphy kills it in this , and it's easily his best work in years. Good to see that even though he has grown and changed his sense of humor is still alive and in tact. The movie itself was a quick paced homage of that era with very little dull moments, and lots of loving little tributes and references. Now I am actually excited to see what these guys could with the sequel to Coming to America. 

Even one of my favorite reviewers gave it high praise: 
    http://outlawvern.com/2019/10/23/dolemite-is-my-name/

"This is pretty much a perfect movie – funny, warm, inspirational, a celebration of not only Rudy Ray Moore, but of black culture in general, and the DIY spirit, and succeeding without selling out, and people who never give up on creativity, even when the world tells them they’re old, or washed up, or a failure. And since much of the soundtrack is based around the original DOLEMITE theme song, it’s a celebration of the funk."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PvnNmr7ylc

- spidey
    klezmer electro-thug beats

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    My wife and I loved it.  A blaxpo Ed Wood (which I also loved).  I was really excited to see it which is a perfect recipe to be let down but it was even better than I thought it was going to be.  Five out of Five Rat-Soups.

Yeah, I finally saw it the other day and it was wholly satisfying.  Well, the soundtrack coulda been edgier in parts, but it's a pretty amazing tracklist all the same.

• Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye
    • Ring a Ling Dong – Rudy Ray Moore (Rudolph Moore and Billy Nightengale)
    • Like I Should – Craig Robinson
    • Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) – Sly and The Family Stone
    • One The Loose – Red Foxx
    • The Morning After (From The Poseidon Adventure)
    • Pete’s Blues – Benny Reid
    • Signifying Monkey – Rudy Ray Moore (Performed by Eddie Murphy)
    • Combo D – Eddie Murphy
    • I Ain’t Studdin’ You – Bobby Rush
    • Rocky Bottom – Jason Freeman
    • Ballad of a Boy and Girl – Rudy Ray Moore
    • Ring A Ling Dong – Rudy Ray Moore
    • Hip Hug-Her – Booker T. & The MG’s
    • Alvin’s Boo Ga Loo – Alvin Cash & The Registers
    • Button Up Your Overcoat – Susan Sarandon
    • Funky Stuff – Kool & The Gang
    • It’s Not How You Make Love – The Diplomats
    • Slippery When Wet – Commodores
    • La Vie En Rose – Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra