MIA the next big thing? No.

1234568»

Comments

• mannybolone said:
    Jury's still out.

Hasnt it been like 5 years?

She had mad heat on her a minute ago, and I dont hear nuffin about her like i did back then.

That's when she debuted but she's been caking off "Paper Planes" this year and "Kala" took her hype to a new level last year.

But seriously, prognostication is a fool's errand. Who among you here would have guessed, in 2001, that Lil Wayne and Kanye West would be two of the most important and popular pop artists of the decade?

Maybe MIA disappears tomorrow. Maybe she becomes the next Madonna. Who knows? Wait for the 2012 ghost bump.

:next_level:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Dudes even thought Nicki Manaj wasn't going to be the next big thing at first--when the raw talent and mass appeal was visible from appearance one. Before that it was Drake. Easiest way to call the next big thing is to pick against these dudes whenever they're annoyed by something getting what they misperceive is undue attention/praise.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    mannybolone said:
    Jury's still out.

Hasnt it been like 5 years?

She had mad heat on her a minute ago, and I dont hear nuffin about her like i did back then.

That's when she debuted but she's been caking off "Paper Planes" this year and "Kala" took her hype to a new level last year.

But seriously, prognostication is a fool's errand. Who among you here would have guessed, in 2001, that Lil Wayne and Kanye West would be two of the most important and popular pop artists of the decade?

Maybe MIA disappears tomorrow. Maybe she becomes the next Madonna. Who knows? Wait for the 2012 ghost bump.

:next_level:

Vindicated!

b/w

I'm loving "Bad Girls."

b/w

I think we can stop talking about MIA as the "next big thing" and simply refer to her as a "pop artist."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This thread started in 2005. 2012 - I am not sure if she is actually that big...like Drake or Nicki big? I mean how many people watching her on that stage knew who she was before they read about her flipping the bird? They may now for some cheap stunt, but for her music? Everyone I watched the game with knows who MIA is but none of us recognized her lol

(I think Rihanna fits into that underestimated hype crew, too. If memory serves, Coselmed predicted that one correctly....)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bassie said:
    This thread started in 2005. 2012 - I am not sure if she is actually that big...like Drake or Nicki big? I mean how many people watching her on that stage knew who she was before they read about her flipping the bird? They may now for some cheap stunt, but for her music? Everyone I watched the game with knows who MIA is but none of us recognized her lol

(I think Rihanna fits into that underestimated hype crew, too. If memory serves, Coselmed predicted that one correctly....)

She's not as big as Drake or Rihanna. Maybe more in the ballpark of Minaj. But why are these distinctions important? She's still "talkworthy" by Strut standards, 7 years later.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    A trio of 40 year old women at the SB party I was out pointed out MIA. And I was the one saying, naw that ain't her. Too tall.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    bassie said:

She's not as big as Drake or Rihanna. Maybe more in the ballpark of Minaj. But why are these distinctions important? She's still "talkworthy" by Strut standards, 7 years later.

lol so is Wax Poetics!

They aren't necessarily, I was referencing Reynaldo's examples.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ost said:
    LAME. This schtick of trying to draw publicity by doing something like giving people the middle finger is boring & uninspired.

She's totally in my face! She's proactive--we're talking an outrageous paradigm. She gets biz-zay, consistently and thoroughly.

• DJ_Enki said:
    ost said:
    LAME. This schtick of trying to draw publicity by doing something like giving people the middle finger is boring & uninspired.

She's totally in my face! She's proactive--we're talking an outrageous paradigm. She gets biz-zay, consistently and thoroughly.

She's like Madonna... only more proactive.

• MIAs peak was the pineapple express trailer

• DJ_Enki said:
    ost said:

She needs to be Rastafied by 10%.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    She's little more than set decoration on the Madonna record.

Bingo.

U fuckers wont care in two weeks.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    "

M.I.A. is the only artist in history to receive nominations for all five of Academy Award, Grammy Award, Brit Award, Mercury Prize and Alternative Turner Prize, and the first artist of Sri Lankan-British descent to be nominated for an Academy and Grammy Award in the same year. She has also been nominated for an MOBO Award, MTV Video Music Award, and MTV Europe Music Award.

She was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2019 Birthday Honours for her services to music.[2]"

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    VINDICATED

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    This is wild
    Reynaldo82