ARC - Nov 2019

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
I will be there!  Flying in Thursday and will hit Friday / Sat.  Any of the last lone Strutters going?

billbradley

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm planning on setting up as a dealer again at the Fall show. Let me know if you need Austin recommendations or want to meet up. There is a dealer dinner that Rich/Rockadelic usually hosts on Friday night. Some of old school SoulStrutters GeneP, Archaic/HarveyCanal, CoolHands, and others are usually there. I hosted a record swap at my house on Thursday last time. I will probably end up doing that again. It's much more comfortable for everyone to meet up at a house than in a cramped hotel room.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Last week I got a confirmation email saying that my dealer application has been accepted. The last ARC was by far the biggest ever. Hopefully that trend continues. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sorry for the late reply, @billbradley .  I'll be arriving Thursday night and leaving Sunday. I got an Alfred apt close to the venue so planning on walking / ubering to any interesting chow spots.  I'm down to hang Friday night.  Still trying to get Otis Funkmeyer to tag along.  I'll hit you up on IG as the time approaches.

Here are some good spots close to the convention center

Sandy's Hamburgers on Barton Springs right across from the Convention Center has cheap, good old fashioned style burgers. Thursday night is their $5 combo deal (burgers, fries, and a drink for 5 bucks). Their frozen custard and hot fudge sundaes are great. 

La Mexicana Bakery is on South 1st and open 24 hours a day. Pop in for some migas tacos and chips and salsa when you get the munchies late hours. Their tres leches cake and pastry cone filled with vanilla cream are my favorites also.

Polvo's Mexican is on South 1st next to La Mexicana bakery. It gets busy but is good also.

Black's BBQ is on on Barton Springs right across from the Convention Center also. Their brisket and pork ribs are good.

If there are any specific types of food or beer/cocktails you are looking for I can give you more recommendations. 
    RAJ

Thanks man.  I love BBQ and Mexican.  So sounds like Austin is my kind of place!

4 weeks away now. I think it will be another big show again.

4 weeks away now. I think it will be another big show again.

I hope so. I'm psyched!

I'm going to be playing records at The Boogie with the Austin Boogie Crew on Saturday night. If any other Soul Strutters are in town. Stop by and I'll buy you a drink.

Nickel City
    1133 East 11th, Austin, Texas 78702
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 10 PM – 2 AM

• Tell the ABC their 45s are cool

Tell the ABC their 45s are cool

They just released another today. 

https://austinboogiecrewrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sunrise

Thursday - Pre-ARC Record Swap
    Friday - Dinner at Hoover's hosted by Rockadelic
    Saturday - The Boogie at Nickel City

I'll be at table #68 at the convention with 1,000 or so mixed LPs and 45s.

This fall show is about as slow as I expected it to be. The first day had a lot of empty tables. Sales were better for me than I expected given the lower number of out of town or out of country buyers. I'm hoping that the Austin locals come out in full force the next two days. We'll see. I assume that if sales are not great for everyone ARC will return to once a year in the Spring. 

The fall show was slower but sales were still good for me. I didn't take as many photos this time. It seems like the wall records are mostly the same each time so I didn't bother. Priced to the point where they aren't going to sell. Someone commented to me that it was more like a museum and that people just want to show their pricey records to other people and not actually sell them. The dealers that come in with records priced 3x the going rate and then start off the first morning saying everything is 1/2 off is funny to me. There was one record I wanted that typically goes for $100-150 that was priced at $275 on a wall. I asked what was the best he could do and he said he'd take $50 off. That was on Friday morning. I went back Sunday afternoon and was told he was still giving $50 off. It is semi-rare but not to the point were I can't go find a cleaner copy for at least $100 less online so I passed. Several non-dealer friends that came to the show said they were having the same experience. That they felt stuff was priced on the high side. l did pretty well finding stuff for decent prices though. I crossed off a big Houston Boogie rare (Jefferson Ink) off my wants list and discovered another (Mystic's Krewe) that I had never seen before. I cracked the seal on the Jefferson Ink and played it and others I found with Austin Boogie Crew Saturday night at The Boogie. It is always fun getting people dancing and DJing for the DJs by playing them stuff that they haven't heard before. 

Pre-ARC Record Swap 

My favorite finds

Random stuff

ketanOtis_Funkmeyer

Good seeing you for a minute @RAJ. I had thought about giving you a bottle of BBQ sauce just to be funny but didn't because it would be a pain to lug around.