LOOTERS VS. "FINDERS" (black and white related)

pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
WHAT? Dude looks like he's carrying a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi. for the press.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i was going to post this also...shit is extremely and very depressing...no progress ..no change...no hope

• So did Bambouche originate this??? Got the internet goin nuts? If so,

• So did Bambouche originate this??? Got the internet goin nuts?

I've been wondering the same thing.

So did Bambouche originate this??? Got the internet goin nuts? If so,

???huh???

• So did Bambouche originate this??? Got the internet goin nuts?

I've been wondering the same thing.

Sometimes it's not enough to believe. Sometimes you must do.

That said, I've seen many people making the same connection. But, you should know, I've emailed every single motherfucker I know.

(A snapshot of my "replies" in the last 10 minutes)

Again, when you're overwhelmed, it's always better to turn to celebrities for the truth:

Ed, this is it

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    nice work

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I know this may be a hard thing to notice being that there's no yellow arrows that are directing your attention to it,but the youth got a garbage bag twice his size floating along side him just a small observation dont kill me over it. i'm sure he's taking the contents of it to feed his family though

YOU ARE THE MAN!... ANYONE TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT...FUK EM'

• But, you should know, I've emailed every single motherfucker I know.

As did I. Including my Mama aka Auntchilada, who in turn emailed "mad heads, yo." Who'da thunk ol' Bam would've infiltrated the Tejano equivalent of SoulStrut?

Herm

• This is just economics, guys. Obviously, white people don't need to loot anything, because they already have money and resources for anything they want. Therefore, they must've found it. The kid, on the other hand, probably didn't have any money anyway, so the only way he's going to get a bag full of groceries is to loot it.

Just fucking with you.

Media at it's finest.

• But, you should know, I've emailed every single motherfucker I know.

As did I. Including my Mama aka Auntchilada, who in turn emailed "mad heads, yo." Who'da thunk ol' Bam would've infiltrated the Tejano equivalent of SoulStrut?

Herm

I'm feeling all Mylatency: I heart Soulstrut. This will keep me happy until we get a separate EMO vs. Jiggy board, just below the Wants/Trades section.

• Don't let this go.

Email the AP at [email]feedback@ap.org[/email] or http://www.ap.org/pages/contact/contact.html
    AFP : http://www.wash.afp.com/english/afp/?cat=contact

Thank you for your interest in AFP.

Your request has been forwarded for treatment

To: [email]info@ap.org[/email]

Cc: "breaking-news@washingtonpost.com"

Time: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:47:57 -0300

Subject: Black people loot...white people find??? interesting

Please view this picture. Explain how this is not racist.

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/3973/lootin5wo6fb.jpg

Thank you,

Francis

Don't make me have to cut nobody.

• just a bit of devil's advocate here...

how can we say that there is a racist bias in reporting the "looting" versus "finding" when these two stories come from different information sources. it is not like the AP put out both of these stories. one comes for the AFP which is french. perhaps this was their translation. to prove a bias, don't both of these articles have to come from the same source? this would prove an intent to propogate racism.

• i used to date a girl whos brother was a pilot, and just after we broke up he crashed a plane just after take off, killing himself and the 5 passengers. (it was ruled to be fuel contamination that caused engine failure) The media talked about "5 dead" and "the families of the victims" WTF? He was DUDER THAN DUDE. Funny how it hits home how fucked up the media is when its all up in your personal life.

To make matters worse, the autopsy report had "signs of previous marijuana use" and was released just before the 1 year anniversary, so the media beat that up into a story just to twist the knife for his family.

now i don't beleive anything i read/see unless i've investigated the situation myself.

[endrant/]

sorry didn't mean to hijack thread

• For what it's worth...I've worked at a newspaper for 20 years, and the vast majority of the folks on the Editorial end of things are no smarter (or impartial) than the population in general. You would not believe some of the ignorant shit I heard during the last presidential election.

how can we say that there is a racist bias in reporting the "looting" versus "finding" when these two stories come from different information sources. it is not like the AP put out both of these stories. one comes for the AFP which is french. perhaps this was their translation. to prove a bias, don't both of these articles have to come from the same source? this would prove an intent to propogate racism.

Excellent point. Have a Heineken on me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

just a bit of devil's advocate here...

that is an excellent point. but they don't have to come from the same source. but the translation thing is a possible confound, for sure.

that said, there's evidence all over the media and psychologists have provided mountains of data to support implicit associations that are racist.

http://projectimplicit.net/nosek/iat/

try it

I was thinking the same thing. Who's to say that the AFP wouldn't have reported the black man as "finding" or the AP wouldn't have reported the white people as "looting"?

You can't really come down on either the AP or the AFP individually because neither of them is really incorrect.

that is an excellent point. but they don't have to come from the same source. but the translation thing is a possible confound, for sure.

that said, there's evidence all over the media and psychologists have provided mountains of data to support implicit associations that are racist.

try it

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/selectatest.html

just a bit of devil's advocate here...

try it

thanks

• that said, there's evidence all over the media and psychologists have provided mountains of data to support implicit associations that are racist.

try it

oh i know shit is racist in the overall picture. it's just that these reports don't come from the same place. now about those heinekens....

I was thinking the same thing. Who's to say that the AFP wouldn't have reported the black man as "finding" or the AP wouldn't have reported the white people as "looting"?

You can't really come down on either the AP or the AFP individually because neither of them is really incorrect.

Nobody is coming down on them individually.

The point that some people are trying to make is that the general view of the media in this country is racist. Other people are countering that you can't say the media is generally racist.

But the main stumbling block on this boards seems to be an agreement on what is and what isn't racist. Some need to see a hood and a burning cross, others (like the rest of the planet) just see thousands of blacks struggling for their lives, or being "bussed" around the area from one holding pen to another.

I guess it comes down to that whole "separate but equal" argument again. Seems to be the route this country wants to go down.

• I just posted this in another thread. Every news story I ahve seen on "Looting" they have only shown minorities. I have not (and i may have missed it) seen one story that talked about looting with white people in the picture. Are you telling me that white people aren't looting? gethefuckouttaherewiththat.

• Very well written story from today's Washington Post:

Carried Away
    Looting Has Its Roots in the Chaos Of Catastrophe

By Linton Weeks
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, September 1, 2005; C01

We fear the anarchy, the feral fanaticism and, at the heart of it, the primeval bugbear of someone coming after our homes, our stores, our stuff.

To follow the news on television the past couple of days, looters have pretty much taken over the Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. "The fear, of course," said talk show host Tucker Carlson, who is less breathy and sensationalist than most, "is that looting contributes to the sense that things are out of control, and that lawlessness begins to snowball, and that stealing becomes murder."

It's among the scariest and nastiest of nightmares. One person breaks a store window, others seem to gain courage and storm the establishment. In the popular mind, we are watching mob psychology in dangerous action.

But, as we are also learning from the post-Katrina chaos, what we think of as looting may be more complicated than it seems.

Benigno E. Aguirre of the Disaster Research Center at the University of Delaware has been watching and reading about looters in Louisiana. "It may look from the outside as if they are stealing or breaking the law," says Aguirre, "when in fact some of them are trying to survive."

On the other hand, he says, some of the thieves are garden-variety crooks. "There is always a very small number of people that are predisposed to crime, and they see a disaster as an opportunity to act."

There are the disenfranchised who jump at the chance to get even with those who have more stuff than they do. "Disasters can become opportunity for class warfare, and that kind of appropriation of other people's property should be prosecuted," he says,

There are looters, he says, but "people use the concept of looting without making distinctions."

Many may be people taking drastic measures required by drastic times. And some, he says, are the in-an-emergency equivalent of hunters/gatherers, foraging for food, fresh water, medicine, matches, batteries, everyday essentials that are just not available. Not at home, not at shelters.

Aguirre, who lived in New Orleans while in graduate school at Tulane, has been studying for more than 30 years the ways people respond to disaster and tragedy -- after hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes and urban riots.

The images are played on TV over and over: Windows are smashed. Huge dudes muscle into an abandoned store and hustle out with stolen TVs and boomboxes. Women hoist unwieldy packs of diapers and cartons of baby formula. Run-amok hooligans snatch up jewelry and electronic gizmos. Other things are stolen: shopping carts of soda pops and snack foods, clothing, bicycles. There are survivors, scavengers and criminal looters, and it's hard to tell the difference.

The idea of looting is often associated in the public mind with "all kinds of other subsidiary concepts," according to Aguirre. He does not believe that what we are seeing in New Orleans is the result of a "crowd mind" or "behavioral contagion."

More images: A kid slinks by with three boxes of shoes. One guy shoulders a batch of fishing rods. A pair of cops joins the thievery, pushing a basket of stolen goods through a Wal-Mart in New Orleans, which according to a TV reporter is on the verge of becoming "a city of outlaws."

Aguirre says: "We want to act as if we can live apart from each other. To me that's the tragedy."

But there were dangerous times yesterday. Wire services reported thieves stealing guns from stores and a policeman and a looter who engaged in a shootout. "Amid the chaos Wednesday," the Associated Press reported, "thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items. Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food."

Who is to say whether these were criminals or people desperate to survive, Aguirre says.

The report also said that the city police chief chased looters away "while city officials themselves were commandeering equipment from a looted Office Depot. During a state of emergency, authorities have broad powers to take private supplies and buildings for their use. At one store, hordes of people from all ages, races and walks of life grabbed food and water. Some drove away with trunkloads of beer."

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said yesterday: "Once we get the 3,000 National Guardsmen here, we're locking this place down. It's really difficult because my opinion of the looting is it started with people running out of food, and you can't really argue with that too much. Then it escalated to this kind of mass chaos where people are taking electronic stuff and all that."

That is a very plausible explanation, Aguirre says. We have never had to evacuate so many people from a city. "This whole thing has gone beyond the likely scenario." Things can get totally out of hand.

Politicians adopted different postures: "I have instructed the Highway Patrol and the National Guard to treat looters ruthlessly," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told CNN. "Looting will not be tolerated, period. And the rules of engagement will be as aggressive as the law allows."

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) said on MSNBC, "Thousands of people are stuck and stranded without food and water. Now, I'm not excusing looting. I'm not the attorney general. I'm not a law enforcement official. But the situation is, is that people have been without food and water."

Some TV journalists are trying to understand the nuances of looting.

Here's a recent exchange between Nancy Grace and Anderson Cooper of CNN:

"It's my understanding," Grace said, "that there has been rampant looting. In fact, martial law declared in other areas. Have you seen looting?"

Cooper replied, "I wouldn't call it looting. What I have seen is desperate people kind of wandering around here in downtown Gulfport. There are a lot of police here in Gulfport, so you can't get away with looting. But I have seen people picking stuff up from the wreckage. I saw a man with two bottles of olive oil. He was hoping to try to cook something up. He says he has no water. He doesn't really have much of a place to go. So there are a lot of people just desperately in need."

The word "loot" comes from Sanskrit and means "booty" or "spoil." It has that basic sound to the ear. Something meaningful; something valuable. In 1860 Dickens wrote of "loot plundered by laundresses."

The verb "to loot" is different from the verb "to pillage," says Mike Agnes, editor in chief of Webster's New World Dictionaries in Cleveland. "Looting puts a criminal tinge on an act, a legal tinge. Pillage is wanton, out-of-control barbaric behavior."

The people on TV appear to be under control. There has been little talk of pillage.

Surely looting dates back to the dawn of humans and their caves full of stuff. Looting has always been a tenet of war. The Vandals looted Rome in the 5th century. The Nazis were notorious looters.

In contemporary times, there has been looting of relief supplies in Somalia and antiquities of Iraq. We've seen looting by the rich before a company like Enron goes bust. And looting by the poor after a National Basketball Association game.

The type of thievery we are seeing in New Orleans, Aguirre says, often happens in the wake of a catastrophe. Similar upheaval occurred in St. Croix in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo and in Los Angeles in 1992 during the Rodney King riots. In St. Croix, as in Louisiana, police were caught stealing.

Under standing the fact that part of a population, and not the whole population, can be criminals is essential to understanding that not everyone who steals is a looter, he says.

Criminals know to strike, he says, when there is chaos and confusion. And there is plenty of both to go around in New Orleans.
    ?? 2005 The Washington Post Company

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wish this mouse would loot or find his way out my apt.

• Similar upheaval occurred in St. Croix in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo and in Los Angeles in 1992 during the Rodney King riots. In St. Croix, as in Louisiana,police were caught stealing[/b].

• "It's my understanding," Grace said, "that there has been rampant looting. In fact, martial law declared in other areas. Have you seen looting?"

Cooper replied, "I wouldn't call it looting. What I have seen is desperate people kind of wandering around here in downtown Gulfport. There are a lot of police here in Gulfport, so you can't get away with looting. But I have seen people picking stuff up from the wreckage. I saw a man with two bottles of olive oil. He was hoping to try to cook something up. He says he has no water. He doesn't really have much of a place to go. So there are a lot of people just desperately in need."[/b]

Now who said they didn't like Anderson Cooper? Nice of him to put that hysterical fuck Nancy Grace in her place...

• Similar upheaval occurred in St. Croix in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo and in Los Angeles in 1992 during the Rodney King riots. In St. Croix, as in Louisiana,police were caught stealing[/b].

Like I said before it's not steling, it's just getting to it before it spoils, ruins or gets stolen by someone else gets it.