Kon's "This is America" rework

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
Kon's edits are usually on-point, but this to me is pure cringe:

https://kon1200.bandcamp.com/track/childish-gambino-this-is-america-kon-rework

So unfortunate.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    I kind of like the intro beat, but not sure it works with the “gospel” bit. Then it changes again and I like it less.

I hear Gambino is great in Solo. Can’t wait to peep that.

• I like the beat really but yeah not the right acapella for this edit, I think.. Actually don't mind the final time the choir comes in, but the choir bits clash hard everywhere else.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Totally agree. Normally I'm all over Kon's edits but this one just sounds jarring 

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Kon’s stuff hasn’t interested me since his “Sir Own” edit, which I missed out on. If anyone has a copy that they’d like to sell for a reasonable price, hit me on the PM. 

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    I like Kon's edits also but this one sounds way too busy. The music video is like that also. There's a lot going on but it doesn't translate well into this track. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    I guess I'm in the minority.  It's not his most elaborate work, but I think it would kill a dancefloor. 

If anything, I noticed some vocal stretching, so it sounds a bit amateur in that way.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    For me, it's also the juxtaposition of the lyrics and the beat.  Without suggesting that "This is America" is equivalent to say, Headless Horseman, I don't see Kon giving Eugene McDaniels the disco rework.  For some music, the disco treatment just neuters it.  

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    For me, it's also the juxtaposition of the lyrics and the beat.  Without suggesting that "This is America" is equivalent to say, Headless Horseman, I don't see Kon giving Eugene McDaniels the disco rework.  For some music, the disco treatment just neuters it.  

Oh, I do agree with that.  But I doubt people on a functioning dancefloor will protest.