A really good (or great) 80's Jazz Record?

Comments

• wynton is a super cool, down to earth dude. i own none of his music.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

You sound like a Wynton-Apologist i

So, regrading his output...I think "In this House..On This Morning" and "Blood In The Fields" are two really great albums.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The opening track ("Well, You Needn't") has become a staple of my Friday night soul jazz sets, so funky and lively, I was floored the first time I heard it.

h, 21

please to post

Ill upload that suite for chocolate lp when i find it

but

as for marsalis...fatback nailed it on the head

we have or own version here in Canada

dude is a musical prodige (play 2 piano at the same time, super ear) he would have been a star at the apollo by age 12 but unfortunately was canadian

Dude's opinion and atitude as well as self love are so obnoxious that it completely turns me off

and his compositions are less then pedestrian but more like grandmother falling oof the side of the curb

to reach some success he has a bunch of children choirs where he steals the spotlight

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Blood on The Fields takes the whole afternoon to listen to.
    I ran thru it once and couldnt find the willpower to sit w/ it again.

Its an epic piece.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

actually sold my copy of this LP - the picture is from an old set sale
    I did - but this was one of the better 80's jazz LP's I've heard. Features
    James Spaulding, Bobby Watson, Rahn Burton, Abdul-Wali, Sabu Adeyola,
    Abdus-Saboor and Idris Muhammed.

I recorded it before I sold it but can't find the folder img

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Im not saying dude is next-level-future-of-jazz or some shit but marsalis has done a lot for the music and really does have an unbelievably able grasp of the music. yah sometimes he seems kinda passionateless or something but on the whole hes a really brilliant dude who has some unfortunate tunnel vision - i used to play tpt and chill with guys who were real serious about the music and all the dudes i looked up to, even though they would continuously talk trash about wynton's world view, were nothing but reverent when it came to his grasp of the language of music - im not talking pure 'technical skills' or some shit. i mean his overall conceptual understanding, his undeniably deep knowledge of the genre.

i think the freedarko book compares tim duncan to him - on point i think

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Courtney Pine's 'Journey to the urge within' was solid....which included this very nice cover version.

Jimster

• These are classic albums, and slept on, though to call them eighties jazz because they were released in 1980 is missleading. The Malachi was recorded in two sessions in '72 and '74...hence it's vibe. The Shamek Farrah was recorded in '78.

• although there are some fine records out there, discussing the best of 80s Jazz is like talking about the best Gregorian Chant pieces of the 1940s.

Ok, not that extreme, but it is akin to discussing the best punk records of 2008...kinda of anticlimatic...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Not that I completely disagree, but that's kinda the point....the fact is that good stuff has come out but is almost instantly disregarded,overlooked, put down because of the date. Whether by luck or the fact that some of these artists did in fact get better(and in some rare instances, more daring and adventurous) as they got older, there exist plenty of examples that good jazz was still being produced in what was arguably pretty dry territory for it in the 80s.

At least in a thread like this there is an element of discovery and surprise as opposed to the standard "I love Kind of Blue/Kind of Blue is steaming horseshit supperclub jazz" back and forth of 'Best Jazz Ever" threads. I prefer this as opposed to a race to google image to grab every classic or obscuro classic in sight.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Totally agree. The challenge is what makes this a great topic.
    Depending on your personal taste, the 1980s were a very lucrative time for free jazz. Especially with European labels. FMP, Soul Note/Black Saint, Leo, Hat Art/Hut etc. The best ones feature both European and American artists.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Was spinning "Children of the Ghetto" today. The vocalist smashes it. Looked her up, turns out she has a well-rounded resume:

"Susaye Greene has stockpiled a lot of credits to her resum?? without becoming a very recognizable name to the public, in part because it wasn't until 2002 that her first solo album appeared. Prior to that, she was perhaps best known for being in the Supremes for a couple of years, longafter their hitmaking heyday, forming part of the lineup with original Supreme Mary Wilson and Scherrie Payne

She appeared on their last two albums and also recorded, wrote, arranged, and produced the Partners album with Payne. She also wrote Deniece Williams' hit "Free"; was in Stevie Wonder's Wonderlove; co-wrote, with Wonder, Michael Jackson's "I Can't Help It," from Jackson's smash Off the Wall album; sang with Ray Charles and Harry Belafonte; sang on jazzman Courtney Pine's "Children of the Ghetto"; managed singers, writers, producers, and actors; and worked as a book illustrator.

She also managed to produce and write or co-write all but one of the songs on her debut solo work, No Fear Here. The record is a versatile but bland assemblage of contemporary R&B styles, with some adult contemporary, dance, and show music influences. "

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the guys name is gregory charles

he used to host a childrens tv show called les debrouillard

clon 4 dayzzzzzzzzzz

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Seriously--great thread.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Admas - S/T

D.C. based Ethiopian Jazz with some moder soul/slow boogie slightly mixed in.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Do you have a picture? I think I found a destroyed copy of that once.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was going to say, I know who Susaye Greene is you don't have to tell me. But that resume blew my mind, I had no idea.
    Singer - I knew.
    Songwriter - No idea how prolific.
    Talent manager - No idea.
    Producer - No idea
    Illustrator - No idea.

• It's even worse when they Google an image of somebody relatively obscure and forget to identify.

This one guy, right here in this thread, just ragged on some dude who was supposed to be the Marsalis of Canada, and went so far to run brotherman's picture,yet at no time did he name names. Was this another one of those sssssh/secret-squirrel/authentic-craniums-are-aware-of-the-situation kinda things???

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i need to check that out -
    ive only heard a few of his records but i think abdullah ibrahim is the greatest. i saw him live in nyc maybe 6 years ago - incredible show. this isnt 80s but i love this live album, it really captures whats so great about his sound now - whoever he has doing percussion is usually amazing
    http://www.amazon.com/Cape-Town-Revisite...27222774&sr=1-8/a1
    love "tuang guru" and "Tsakwe / Royal Blue"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

foe

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sick bastards have gotten me into 80s jazz.....
    ketanRhythmGJ

Eliane Elias is the troot doe

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    I was doing Jazz radio in the 80's, so I'd say just about anything that wasn't pop-funk; there is so much, plus great reissues. Take your pick.

Wynton's debut was actually very good. Of special note (and I don't know if it's already been mentioned, as I admit to not having read the entire thread): Sonny Rollins, "Sunny Days, Starry Nights." Also Tony Williams' comeback ("Foreign Intrigue").

GJ

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Harold Land - Xocia's Dance - Muse '81 - absolute burner
    James Marentic Sextet - Nimbus - Discovery '83 - I just listened to last night and forgot how good it is

I'm gonna keep adding to this even if I'm talking to myself.

Great thread
    JimsterElectrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "Three Gentleman From Chikago" is one of my favorites. Thanks to Now & Again for this:

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Thanks to Now & Again for this:

Yes, that's lovely, got the reissue.

Cindy Blackman - Arcane - Muse '88

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Frank Lowe and Dwight James both sound nice from what I just checked on YT. Didn't know that label, thanks for heads up!

Chico Freeman - Peaceful Heart, Gentle Spirit - Contemporary '80 (so maybe recorded '79 and ineligible for purposes of discussion!)

Chico's 'Destiny's Dance' also on Contemporary from '82 is maybe not quite as good, but has nice versions of 'Same Shame' and 'Wilpan's Walk'.
    Electrode