What's the most you've ever spent on a record?

Comments

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    spivy said:
    $400 for a copy of the mark il poliziotto OST about 7 or 8 tears ago

What's it worth nowadays? Haven't seen one online for ages...

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Syl Johnson - Is It Because I'm Black - $200

you mean u got the boscoe for less? ;)

• $275 for Rayne at the Waxidermy Haiti auction.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    $375 kenny dorham- quiet kenny
    $190 sohail rana- khyber mail

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hey Jamal
    Hunnert?
    You sound poor.

LOL at dudes with dey pride at how little they will spend at the max for a record.

Most of you dudes live in the richest country in the world, and you can't pay more than the price of a decent dinner for two on your hottest hobby?

Personal indulgence mega-fail.

Man the fuck up, people. SMFH.
    caikala

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    About 40 nicker for a Kazu Matsui project set (the one with "Let's Pretend" on it). Been after it since ROBBIE F*CKING VINCENT played it on the radio. I have no space or money to take it more seriously.

Microscopic dude.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Working late Jim?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My highest price spent was $300 for the "Keep on Gettin' Down" 12" by Le Frank 'O.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    $200 is a workable limit, but I think I'd go as high as $300.

I dropped about $200 each earlier this year for the follwing:

VG+ Gap Mangione's "Diana In The Autumn Wind" on a GRC 45.

I dropped slightly less for a minty Edda dell'Orso "Kukumbe" 45 off the Kilimangiaro OST

And lastly an OG Ambassador's "Ain't Got the Love" 45 in VG+ 

Bonus story:

There was a time when I would've dropped $1000 for a specific record that a strutter on here had that he didn't want to part with (he hasn't been active on this site for quite some time). In fairness to him, the record was virtually ungoogleable and had never been sold. Anway, I ended up finding a copy for about $200, and the strutter has since put the piece up on discogs for $1000. 

Hey,

My highest price spent was $300 for the "Keep Gettin' on Down" 12" by Le Frank 'O.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    There's a decent edit of this by The Yorkshire Rapper on a 12" that came out back in '05

https://www.discogs.com/Yorkshire-Rapper-Put-Our-Heads-Together/release/449619

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    para11ax said:

Hey,

My highest price spent was $300 for the "Keep Gettin' on Down" 12" by Le Frank 'O.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    There's a decent edit of this by The Yorkshire Rapper on a 12" that came out back in '05

That's dope, man.  Good lookin' out!!!  Cats who know me know I don't fuck around when it comes to dance music, huge childhood love from day one.  As I've told on here, my uncles shutting down their disco and giving me and my brother (RIP) all their 12" singles fostered a lifelong love of dance music.  I still dig for it to this very day.    Yo, you need to holla at me about that Gap Mangione.  That record has been running from me for decades. 

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    para11ax

para11ax said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That's dope, man.  Good lookin' out!!!  Cats who know me know I don't fuck around when it comes to dance music, huge childhood love from day one.  As I've told on here, my uncles shutting down their disco and giving me and my brother (RIP) all their 12" singles fostered a lifelong love of dance music.  I still dig for it to this very day.    Yo, you need to holla at me about that Gap Mangione.  That record has been running from me for decades. 

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    If I ever tire of the Gap, it's yours. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Edit: the Gap joint was an eBay holler.

para11ax said:
    para11ax said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    If I ever tire of the Gap, it's yours. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Edit: the Gap joint was an eBay holler.

Hey Para11ax,

I might just have to break down and cop the LP on eBay.  I hate to do it, but I just can't find one in the field.  I'd say about 90% of my collection came from digs, though I'm not against going online for choice, raer pieces (if necessary).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    para11axcaistrataspherewaxjunky

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

Franco Micalizzi Violence! OST - $450 off ebay. It was years ago when I didn't have a mortgage or kids.

• Grabbed the combinations on kellmac and the significants on alesver's both for about $300 when I got my tax return, usually max out at like 100-150 though.

Saw that gap at John Doe Jr. in greenfield MA my first time going there several years ago for $25. I knew the record but had a stack of other stuff and decided to leave it behind. Realizing my mistake I went rushing back the next weekend (its a bit of a hike for me) but of course it was already gone.

This is where I would put the 'why must I cry' gremlin if I knew how.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I could've bought quantity of that Gap Mangione 45 years ago, but didn't think it'd be valuable. I thought people would prefer to have the LP.
    Oops
    Kineticpara11axBig_Stacks

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    My max is around £100-£120 but I can't even remember what the big game piece was.
    For me, more a case of not seeing the raers I've been after for sale at any price.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'll pay up to a $1K for something I really, really want and can't find. I think the highest I've paid is around $600 for a rhythm and blues 45.

Feldman said:
    Grabbed the combinations on kellmac and the significants on alesver's both for about $300 when I got my tax return, usually max out at like 100-150 though.

Saw that gap at John Doe Jr. in greenfield MA my first time going there several years ago for $25. I knew the record but had a stack of other stuff and decided to leave it behind. Realizing my mistake I went rushing back the next weekend (its a bit of a hike for me) but of course it was already gone.

This is where I would put the 'why must I cry' gremlin if I knew how.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• $3000

NateBizzo said:
    $3000
    Bloodklart.

The title?

• NateBizzo said:
    $3000
    Bloodklart.

The title?
    Mardi Gras 12' sans bells.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    180 for a sealed solomon king

NateBizzo said:
    $3000
    Northern soul collectro revealed

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I've spent about $500 like 3 times but one of those is worth $1500 and another $1000 (so technically not expensive).
    My record buying usually pays for itself through records that I trade or sell and I don't typically spend much.

My max is around £100-£120 but I can't even remember what the big game piece was.
    For me, more a case of not seeing the raers I've been after for sale at any price.
    For a while I was after this:

Not sure if the yootoob is the maxi single version - have distinct memories of it having a longer dubbed-out version with more of the deep nasal keyboard sounds.
    It was ungooglable in the early '00s, now the 12" is on discogs for a few bucks and I've gone digital. Feck.

• About $250, including shipping, for Tim Maia's "Racional Vol. 1".  The record itself is close to NM.  The cover is like VG+, with color photocopies of the original insert (one large, one small).  Wasn't sweating the inserts, it's just cool to have them for the lyrics!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts

I think I spent around 80-100 for a copy of Geedy Dayaan by Super Diamono/Jamono de Dakar and for the first Prince Gideon record (Let My People Go). 

That's it, though. I generally refuse to ball out on records.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I gave Trippledub (T**y) $250 for a sealed Soul Liberation a while back. I think that's what I paid

• I splurged on Headless Heroes a while back and paid $60...been wanting it for a long time and I was on vacation and said, "what the hell?"