What's the most you've ever spent on a record?

JamalJamal 410 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I was checking some ebay auctions, and man some people pay lots a money for a record.
Of course "lots of money" is very relative considering how much money a person has.
Personally I havent ever paid more than a hundred bucks for a record, but im no pro..

(Searched if this question has been asked recently, and coulnt find anything)

so, what's the most you've ever spent on one record?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    $868876.7471

• DownstrokeDownstroke 81 Posts
    I feel like a real amateur on this site, I think the most I've shelled out for a record was about ??30 off ebay for The Peddlers 'Suite London'. I've grabbed a few others in the ??20-??30 but generally I'm a charity shop/car boot sale whore who will rarely pay more than a fiver for a record.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    After selling my entire record collection (except for one single crate) back in 2002, I made a strict vow to never spend more than $1 on a record. That price ceiling slowly rose to $10 and then held pretty firm at $25 for at least a good 5 or 6 years. After hanging around teh Strut I've started to reassess this a little bit (prices become relative and $25 records start to sound more on the low end of the spectrum) but I don't have a ton of money to spend and the more scrill a record costs the more mental pressure there is for it to be "worth it". That being said, I totally went the furthest out of my own spending boundaries and used $60 in store trade on an OG Axelrod "Songs of Innocence". It's an all time favorite so I "treated myself" but anything over $25 still feels exorbitant.

• cuthbert151cuthbert151 116 Posts
    $250.00 for rap master b "dj politician" 12"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    After selling my entire record collection (except for one single crate) back in 2002, I made a strict vow to never spend more than $1 on a record.

This won't even buy thrift store records anymore. :P

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    I never spend more than 150 euro for a piece of wax. For that matter some records seem impossible but 90% of the stuff I'm interested in I'll get my hands on eventually.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I don't spend a lot on records, mainly because I do more digging than shopping if you catch my drift...but if I find something I want, I'll shell put if I can. Dropped a $100 on a Prince Conley 45 at a record show a few weeks ago without hesitation...but a bill is about the top end for me these days.

• The most I've spent on a record was $50, and it was for a copy of Siah and Yeshua Dapo ED's "The Visuals" EP. Ever since then, I generally stay in the $10-20 range for an individual record.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    and the more scrill a record costs the more mental pressure there is for it to be "worth it"..

word

I don't spend a lot on records, mainly because I do more digging than shopping if you catch my drift.

word

Relativity applies not only ont he amount of money a b has, but off course also depends on the record... If I find a $1000 record for $100 or $200 and so on id buy it, but probably just to sell it, but i dont find those. not yet anyway.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    I made the plunge for a copy of the Mistafide 12" a while back, probably the only time I'll ever see it so I wasnt passing up the opportunity....worth every penny

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    $350

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    100$ for 45
    125$ LP

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    $350

which record?

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    $100 for me, pretty much........no more than 15 times in my life

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    $100 for a 45 quite recently, which is kinda high when you translate it to mex pesos...

I don't go over the 50 bucks ceiling too often. The bulk of my collection has been built from patience and bargain hunting...
    rcwinkly

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    $150

panache

every brother aint a brother 12"

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    MiddleDean said:
    $150

panache

every brother aint a brother 12"

great record IMO ..... one I have been wanting to add to my collect for a while.... waiting for a cheap ass copy

• 256 euro Placebo ( Ball of eyes ) near mint condition which is a good price if you check popsike

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Tops about $250 but fairly regularly , several this year, quite prepared to spend more for stuff I want though

• ??90 for a sealed copy of MC Jewel & DJ Screen - 'Reflection Of Perfection'

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Syl Johnson - Is It Because I'm Black - $200

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    BeansOBE said:
    ??90 for a sealed copy of MC Jewel & DJ Screen - 'Reflection Of Perfection'

How Would You Put This - dope production, geezer.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    $100

Aquaturbia - El Hombre de la Guitarra 45

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    $62 for a minty copy of RAMP

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I rarely spend over $30 on a single lp, but once or twice a year spend $50-75 to check a Brazilian record off my want list.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    $225 for Ofege in the waxidermy Haiti auction.

Paid a similar amount for a Milton Wright 'Friends and Buddies', but other than those two, never gone over about $80.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i think i paid around $100 for the carol kaye bass instructional record.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    $400 for a copy of the mark il poliziotto OST about 7 or 8 tears ago

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    150 euro on "Funny Funky Rib Crib". Wanted it for ages & it's still one of my all-time favourites.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    420$