Remove your mouth, I made Rhythm Roulette

Probably the only guy to not plant records or use patch drums too. Idk. Check it out. Hi Soulstrut.
dukeofdelridgepara11axketanstratasphereTheKindCromangkicks79dj_cityboyBig_StacksBeatsoupDuderonomyYaga.Reactions.RecordLimit.Plural

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Congrats but you really reckon dudes where planting records ?
    i watched a bunch and some guys pulled turds of records.
    strataspherethe_dL

• Yoooooooooooooooooo Thes! The beat you made is top notch! I really like the concept behind this project even though Dublab pretty much already did it with "Secondhand Sureshots". Always good to see Record Recycler get some love. One of the best record stores in LA!!! I also loved all the down-time (man, making beats sure is boring) cutaway shots to random stuff in your studio. 

9 out of 10. Thanks for the share!

• kicks79 said:
    Yeah. Not all of course, but alot - if only one record to get through it. That's why it was important for me to run in blindfolded without even looking at section, and what the spinning around was for. B+ walked in randomly and was laughing in the background - every time i pulled a record he would yell out "oh you're really fucked now" Lol.

I also didn't want to be one producers took days or even weeks to finish the beat and then sent it back. Obviously the crew can only film for so long but the point is a large portion of the "producers" aren't relying on a traditional beatmaking talent in the scope of the "roulette" - using the actual records - which sucks. I mean to me, Whats the point if you use a only snippet of a found record and then pad it out with dope drums or keys etc. Why even bother with the record in my opinion.

Nevertheless, stoked to be finally asked to do it i guess. Now where the fuck is my Cratediggers episode
    kicks79DuderonomycoveKinetic

• FeldmanFeldman 50 Posts
    Damn, that beat was dope!!! Classic thes sound with the filtered loop and horns, reminded me of something like 'we'll be there'.

agreed about dudes using some patch drums and extra keyboard patches, a few of them come out sounding cool, but mostly the ones that are like that I turn off while they are still making the beat, some are just painful to watch, like one of the most recent ones just behind yours

I WANT A THES ONE CRATEDIGGERS!!!

• yes! dude, your studio is bonkers. are those warm audio 1176's I spy? the use of stock drums on the show has always been lame. same goes for extra synth stuff. its also a real kick in the nuts to see some of the older heads work solely on a laptop. the newer cats I expect that but...

the large pro, el-p and now yours are prob my favorites. there's been so many now i'm probably forgetting some good ones.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    That was a great watch, and good to see that a gamble can pay off - like you said, you probably wouldn't have given that record a listen but there are grooves to be found everywhere.

And yeah, your studio looks siiiiick.

• Scuba SteveScuba Steve @steveislikewoah 40 Posts
    DOPE!  Next we are gonna see you interviewed by Nardwar.

• Great beat, and appreciate the purity. Like... it's a sample show, the whole thing is a stunt around random samples. Show what you can do with that, not with unlimited resources. I think this ep and J-Zone's are my favorites (Zone played live drums and bass for his though).

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hello Thes!  Always enjoy your stuff. Please keep making music!

kicks79 said:
    Yeah. Not all of course, but alot - if only one record to get through it.

9th Wonder pulls 3 records that are so good he makes 4 different beats. Plants? Strangely, his first beat, from a country record, is my favourite but he shelves it to check the other records. Maybe saving it...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I can confirm that at least the Large Pro Episode was not staged. He came into our store and randomly picked the records. No prior set up...
    caiDuderonomycove4YearGraduateJimsterdj_cityboystratasphere

• Dope!  Get that shine, brother.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Now where the fuck is my Cratediggers episode

I'm sayin'!

• Thes cruuuushed this.  Which, to be fair, was expected.  *tips cap*

I have to agree with everyone above about the fact that you kept it 100% legit on the whole concept of using the records you picked!!

It was cool seeing a peek into your workflow and also great how you explained what you did.

That 9th one is dope.  Gotta rep the Marco Polo one!!!  The edit on the his one does a good job of showing how he built the beat up from individual sounds.  I just re watched the El-P episode and I gotta be honest... dude just made a dope El-Producto synth banger... but didn't really use the record much.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

More soulstrut-related participation.... Jake One

RAJkicks79stratasphereThe Bizarre

dj_cityboyJimsterYemskyJunior

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    1988 Golf Captain look,  Yet the beat is stronger.

WIN-WIN.
    finelikewineYemskyDuderonomy