Philly Rap essentials/favorites

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Freshco was from Brooklyn.

I'm really tired right now and need some sleep, so I can't get involoved in thsi thread right now. Shout to whomever brought up the Illadelph/Munk shit though.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

Cool C - "Juice Crew Dis"

no doubt, that beat is

day, heres that jewel t

rock nice

ride the crossfade

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    my copy of this is on "world famous records" with a blue label...
    same here. so is it a repress or boot?
    i'm not really flippin' over it like the rest of yall...so if anyone is tryin to holler at it. holler. ...the Schooly D LP I'll hang on to though unless someone has a Gucci Time they'd like to trade.

Freshco & Miz - "We Don't Play"
    this might be my fav of the old school (if it counts).

and The Roots - What They Do
    for later.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    *sigh*

Ashamed to see the following not mentioned:

*sigh* noz posted this already. it's on this album. Ashamed you don't know that.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    so if anyone is tryin to holler at it. holler. ...

hollar

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    so if anyone is tryin to holler at it. holler. ...

hollar
    and it is so.

• *sigh*

*sigh* noz posted this already. it's on this album. Ashamed you don't know that.

sigh*

Freshco & Miz - "We Don't Play" (wait.... was Freshco from Philly? Or just Miz?)

fresco was from brooklyn

-athan!

• Freshco & Miz - "We Don't Play" (wait.... was Freshco from Philly? Or just Miz?)

"...this is what is sound like when a dope Philly DJ hooks up with a raw Brooklyn MC..."

or something like that at the end of that track. I think we need a "Ain't you Freshco?" graemlin.

Also - MAJOR COSIGN on Tuff Crew - they really were underdogs, but

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Dominic 'Skeet' Mathis - one of the names I used to check for back in the day (most of the records I have w/ his name on it have decent soundin' drums); had the impression he was based out the Philadelphia-New Jersey axis...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    *sigh*

*sigh*...and Day mentioned Miz (along with Tat Money) back on the other page.

• *sigh*

sigh*

Freshco & Miz - "We Don't Play" (wait.... was Freshco from Philly? Or just Miz?)

fresco was from brooklyn

-athan!

Boooo...

Sorry Daze I did see that but most folks don't even know that song is on that record. To be honest I got rid of the common LP once I got the raer-er 12"....

And, in defense of Freshco & Miz's inclusion, that record wouldn't be what it is without the Philly DJ getting it in...

oh hell yeah, Miz was my motherfuckin IDOL!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That was a wildly slept on/hated on album but was a giant step in their maturity. The range they showed on it and the fact that Arista was fully behind them, letting them get folks like Steve Arrington on board, showed the direction of where they wanted - and could have - gone. However it came at a time when the climate in rap was beginning to change and it was pretty hated on in the streets.

One of these days I need to do like a full "Philly" thing.

One of these days I need to do like a full "Philly" thing.

maybe if you were a "real" DJ

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Isn't it obvious?

By the way, I used to have the rough of 3XD's third, unreleased, album on a casette. That shit was

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That was a wildly slept on/hated on album but was a giant step in their maturity. The range they showed on it and the fact that Arista was fully behind them, letting them get folks like Steve Arrington on board, showed the direction of where they wanted - and could have - gone. However it came at a time when the climate in rap was beginning to change and it was pretty hated on in the streets.

Side A of that album is flawless. The production stands next to any fuckin' HIPHOP at the time. Me and my boys would bump this wondering why other cats couldnt "aknowledge" the genius.

• Anybody ever see the comic books he advertises on the EP jacket? Anybody ever see the documentary on Breeze?

and on another note,

*sigh* has nobody given Phill Most Chill his propers?

• I caught an ultra cheep copy of this in Cleveland, me likes me likes

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Side A of that album is flawless. The production stands next to any fuckin' HIPHOP at the time. Me and my boys would bump this wondering why other cats couldnt "aknowledge" the genius.

3XD always had a pretty strong grasp of melody when it came to their beats (and it was smoothly done, not awkward @ all), evident even on the debut Arista album... As AI alludes to though, the climate in which the 2nd full length dropped wasn't the most conducive to that sound; have my original wax, but found a sealed copy of the CD @ a Tower Records clearance sale a couple of years back...

• who got some Bilaaly B, Too Brown and Tone Love for me?

i got some too browns for you.
    whabout 2kannon?
    bahamadia-funkvibe
    shadasious
    lord aaqil
    tasc 4rce
    bizzy b- i got the juice

was don juan the prime minister from phla?(sampled joan jett! what!!!)

tone love only got released on tape i think
    tonyD from PRT got some kind of promo/acetate though.

• (that last one is lady b "to the beat y'all")

So dope, one of my favorite 79/80 raps, and she apprently brought up a lot of younger cats. Also, is she a lesbo? Some of those lyrics are a bit Just wondering.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    By the way, I used to have the rough of 3XD's third, unreleased, album on a casette. That shit was

let me hollar at that dog!

• bahamadia-funkvibe

I never got into this one. but yo...I would love to have a copy of Bahamadiah's "Paper Thin"

but what y'all know about

A MAN NAMED LUX!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

A MAN NAMED LUX!

I know about the fistfight we almost got into...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Those Breeze drawings are great. Between him and Schooly Philly had the homemade covers on lock.

• By the way, I used to have the rough of 3XD's third, unreleased, album on a casette. That shit was

let me hollar at that dog!

That album was terrible, as too was Krown Rulers 2nd album. Both released on that bootleg label that re-issued Kool Kieth's Sex Style album under a different name. (Label was Cry Baby or sumfin similiar)

Triple hundred co-sign on Tuff Crew.. As well as Krown Rulers.

Yeah the TOO BROWN album is fresh. Good fun. Love ???Hey Big Spender???

A quick think & I came up with these???

PIMP PRETTY & ROYAL RON ??? B-Boy Stance (how dope is this track????)
    YVETTE MONEY ??? I???m Gonna Get Mine.
    ICE CREAM TEE & DJ MIZ ??? Can???t Hold Back LP (ooh wee, rugged)
    BZ 2 MCs ??? We???re Troopers
    MASTER VIC & EXOTIC DON ??? It???s the Beat
    ROBBIE B & DJ JAZZ ??? South Side of Phillly
    MALIKA LOVE & DJ BONES- Co-Rock Steady
    JAM BROTHERS - Cocaine
    COUNT COOLOUT (Brooklyn dude, but released records via a Philly label) http://www.jathomrecords.netfirms.com/

Anyone ever heard the TIM GREENE & the 3Mcs 12????
    I was outbid by $100 a few years back on Ebay & have never seen it come up again. Went for something stupid. Was from like 81/ or 82, way before his Sugarscoop release. I can???t recall the label so I can???t look it up in Fred???s book.

• bahamadia-funkvibe

I never got into this one. but yo...I would love to have a copy of Bahamadiah's "Paper Thin"

A MAN NAMED LUX!

Horrid record from what i remember... Black & red label?

Was that the one produced by GM Flash???
    He produced a few randoms & they were all terrible.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

(that last one is lady b "to the beat y'all")

So dope, one of my favorite 79/80 raps, and she apprently brought up a lot of younger cats. Also, is she a lesbo? Some of those lyrics are a bit Just wondering.

she's got a bushy mustache in that MC Breeze documentry...

i'm a big fan of "everybody here tonight must party" by direct current, the source track for "to the beat y'all." better than the lady b...

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I used to have the rough of 3XD's third, unreleased, album on a casette. That shit was

Was that called 'The Sequel' or something? I have that on wax somewhere... I think it was booted by that same label that did Kool Keith's 'Sex Style' album.