Philly Rap essentials/favorites

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
my personal top five 1)Original Stylin...Three Times Dope[/b] 2)Rock the house....Dj Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince[/b] 3)Steady B...What's my name[/b] 4)Live from acknickulous land...Three times dope[/b] 5)The Roots..Things fall apart[/b] rep your favorite philly JAWNS.....[/b]

Comments

• MUNK WIT DA FUNK!

Bahamadiah

DJ Cash Money's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" mixtape (Shit, Cash Money in general)

but dude...

You slept on this cat?

• and fuck it... A lot of the A touch of jazz productions I think are fucking brilliant.

Chops can come with it on the beats.

Grand Agent is mad decent when he picks a good beat.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

i cant tolerate his voice for an entire cd....

• "Saturday Night the Album"

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Jewel T 'Ride the Crossfade'
    Schooly-D 'P.S.K./Gucci Time'
    Robbie B. & Jazzy J 'Rock the Go-Go'
    Shawn G. 'Mission Impossible'
    Dr. Funkenstein (aka Cash Money) 'Scratchin' to the Funk'

Philly has always been the most ignored city when it comes to hip hop contribution....some classic shit and unfuckwitable dj's and mc's have come out of Philly and it's criminal how they always get overlooked or mentioned in a matter-of-fact manner....maybe its because Philly is not bitchin' and moanin' like all these other cities...

• MUNK WIT DA FUNK!

Bahamadiah

DJ Cash Money's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" mixtape (Shit, Cash Money in general)

but dude...

You slept on this cat?

That's my shit. I missed out on the LP the other day but found the tape at the thrift. I BOUGHT IT. Shit is dope. But my essential is

Scholly D - Gangster Boogie / Maniac 12"

"On the corner selling some weed, then came along a sucker MC he said "yo holmes wassup wit dat, uh can I cop me a nickel bag", a nickel bag is 5.99 ... and then I layed down this MC rhyme."

Great 12" I got the yellow label one. Arons had about 5 of them one day but my stupid ass got one. Could've easily flipped them for more. Oh well.

I CANT BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT SCHOOLY D

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Jewel T 'Ride the Crossfade'
    Robbie B. & Jazzy J 'Rock the Go-Go'

I NEED TO HEAR THESE

And major co-sign with Ed. I probably wouldn't be DJing if it weren't for Philly!

• youngstaz!!!!!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Philly has always been the most ignored city when it comes to hip hop contribution....some classic shit and unfuckwitable dj's and mc's have come out of Philly and it's criminal how they always get overlooked or mentioned in a matter-of-fact manner....maybe its because Philly is not bitchin' and moanin' like all these other cities...

Comin' up in the '80s, Philadelphia got coverage b/c of the high profile DJs from that city enjoyed: Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money, etc. - felt that b/c of that spotlight, its MCs were relegated to the shadows; other than Schooly, the only other notable Philadelphia (rap) name whom I was aware of around early on was MC Breeze's 'The Discombobulator,' which I purchased durin' a summer road trip to the city: Sounds of Market - met DJ Tat $ who was an employee of the store @ the time...

SUMMER OF 93'....we played this backtobacktobacktoback so much i cant even listen to it now

'HANDLE THIS' is my shit!![/b]

• Scholly D - Gangster Boogie / Maniac 12"

"On the corner selling some weed, then came along a sucker MC he said "yo holmes wassup wit dat, uh can I cop me a nickel bag", a nickel bag is 5.99 ... and then I layed down this MC rhyme.".

WORD UP! I got hipped to this via B-Cause's/PeacefullRo's and Spairs mix-cd. Finally found one a month ago. So fucking on point.

FILE UNDER

ACTUAL RANDOM RAP THAT DOES NOT SUCK

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I NEED TO HEAR THESE

Cash goes off on Trouble Funk's 'Pump Me Up':

http://sr2.mytempdir.com/139177

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ACTUAL RANDOM RAP THAT DOES NOT SUCK

schooly school is far from "random". but i could use a gangsta boogie 12", now that you mention it.

• ACTUAL RANDOM RAP THAT DOES NOT SUCK

schooly school is far from "random". but i could use a gangsta boogie 12", now that you mention it.

DAMN. Wish I woulda got at least 3 of the ones they had. DAMN. they had at least 5 or 6.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Dr. Funkenstein - 'Scratchin' to the Funk' (Part 2)

http://sr2.mytempdir.com/139183

Shawnie 'G' - 'Mission Impossible' (released on Rhythm King Records out of the UK; he was murdered either just prior or after it dropped)

http://sr2.mytempdir.com/139187

• As usual my computer is too slow on 56k to load into yousendit.com. I want to poat the mp3 to Gangster Boogie. Oh well.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Dr. Funkenstein - 'Scratchin' to the Funk' (Part 2)

http://sr2.mytempdir.com/139183

Shawnie 'G' - 'Mission Impossible' (released on Rhythm King Records out of the UK; he was murdered either just prior or after it dropped)

http://sr2.mytempdir.com/139187

thanks for putting these up!

While we're talking about Philly, does anybody have any info on the Hilltop Hustlers? Who all was down with them, who released music, what really went down with Steady and Cool C.

Oh yeah, and we can't forget MIZ & TAT MONEY!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

While we're talking about Philly, does anybody have any info on the Hilltop Hustlers? Who all was down with them, who released music, what really went down with Steady and Cool C.

Hilltop Hustlers were originally comprised of Steady B, Cool C, and 3 Times Dope... Tat spun for a stint for Kwame if memory is correct...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Hilltop Hustlers were originally comprised of Steady B, Cool C, and 3 Times Dope... Tat spun for a stint for Kwame if memory is correct...

Wrrd, that I knew. I was wondering more if there were any other groups in the crew that released anything I might not have heard about.
    And I never did hear the whole story about Steady B and Cool C's situation.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And I never did hear the whole story about Steady B and Cool C's situation.

they botched a bank robbery attempt and killed a cop in the process. i believe that one is on death row and the other is serving life (could be wrong about the sentances though)

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Wrrd, that I knew. I was wondering more if there were any other groups in the crew that released anything I might not have heard about.

Not that I'm aware of - I bought all of the original Hilltop Hustler Records 12" singles when they were 1st released (the ones that had the really stiff multi-colored streaked die cut jackets); 3 Times Dope jumped to Arista not shortly after...

Noz has it down w/ regards to the botched robbery attempt; female police officer killed durin' the incident...

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Even if the Phanjam LP is mentioned. You guys forgot about the Tuff Crew "Back To Wreck Shop" which in my opinion is one of the best 80s rap records next to Ultramagnetics, Stetsasonic, EPMD and NWA and others you all know.
    They are higly underrated I think and I cant understand why.
    DJ Too Tuff was way ahead of his time when it comes to scratching. He is in one class with DJ Scractch, DJ Magic Mike, Mr.Mixx, DJ Cash Money, DJ Jazzy Jeff and Mixmaster Ice. He was a big inspiration for a lot of european DJ's. This LP is a classic from start to end. Every track is dope, no filler. Even when they had the reworcked instrumental of "My Parta Town" on that LP.

Back By Dope Demand
    Hawkeye

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Scholly D - Gangster Boogie / Maniac 12"

"On the corner selling some weed, then came along a sucker MC he said "yo holmes wassup wit dat, uh can I cop me a nickel bag", a nickel bag is 5.99 ... and then I layed down this MC rhyme."

my copy of this is on "world famous records" with a blue label... great record, and "maniac" is a dope electro jam...

MAJOR CO-SIGN on MC Breeze "DISCOMBOBULATORBUBALATOR"... prolly the most anti-Asian rap song EVER, but, lyrics aside (and this is why i never get to into the racial arguments on here, b/c i feel like everyone should just say whatever the fuck they feel like... lenny bruce, yup that's me...), the song is kickin', especially the Jefferson's Theme "interpolation"... prolly my favorite indie rap 12" ever...

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    definitely not the greatest but together with lady b one of the earliest:

and can't forget this one either:

• Izod & Bizzy Bee - I Aint Taken No Stuff
    Dominating MCs - Funky Terminology
    IBM Nation - This is for the Nation

• *sigh*

Ashamed to see the following not mentioned:

Cool C - "Juice Crew Dis"

Freshco & Miz - "We Don't Play" (wait.... was Freshco from Philly? Or just Miz?)