Betty Davis - The Columbia Years

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited June 2016 in Strut Central
I'm actually excited to hear this reissue by Light in the Attic. Has anybody heard these yet?

Production by Miles Davis & Teo Macero with performances from Harvey Brooks, Billy Cox, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Mitch Mitchell, Wayne Shorter, and Larry Young, along with Hugh Masekela and members of The Jazz Crusaders.

When I first was discovering Betty Davis I thought she had a great look and amazing story,but found some of her music lackluster. It wasn't till much later when I was leading a funk band we started covering If I'm in luck I might get picked up. I then got a new appreciation for what she does with her vocals. Which I feel is particularly original, and very un-feminine. The only other vocalist I can think of that was so abstract and funky was Annette Peacock. 

So anyways this reissue is creating a little buzz on the internet. I was wondering if any of you guys have heard it yet?

Also, is it just me or does this docu look odd as fuck... 
vimeo.com/118027518

peace, 
- spidey
RAJketanThe Bizarrecai
TAGGED:

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I read about this earlier today too.  Clips sound pretty interesting.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Sounds a bit like Vietnam protest funk--not feeling it.

I'm not big on Betty Davis, so my opinion doesn't mean much.

finelikewine

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Doco looks okay.
    The trailer is just cut really badly. 

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I like her. It sounds like shes going number 2 sometimes with all the grunting. 

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Her vocals got a bit better by '76

- damo

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Found a cheap LP on eBay and received yesterday - i like this a lot - I guess if you're interested in Miles Davis and the other muso's involved (Larry Young and John McLaughlin a couple of weeks before they recorded the Emergency LP with Tony Williams, etc) it makes it more interesting, but the tracks aren't bad. Not mind-blowing amazing but solid still. Betty's vox are patchy but full of spirit. Not 'Dedicated To The Press'- over the top yet though. IIWII.

Theres a few snippets of Miles talking from the control booth - one particular one he tells Betty to sing it "with the gum in your mouth and all, bitch"