Soulstrut R.I.P. (1999-2016)

para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
This is the quietest I've ever seen this place in the 14 years I've followed.

I guess all the folls and idoits are locked on fb/twitter/IG/etc?

Share your favourite memories of this place.

Mine is the epic beef thread between Frank and Amir. That shit was off the hinges. I wasn't drawn in by the drama--I was drawn in by the fact that 2 well-known legends in the record game were duking it out and not pulling any punches. It was jaw-dropping, but many of Frank's other posts were. 

Name some of your favourites!

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    It ain't dead, it just smells funny.

It is what you make it. 

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Parallax,

I log on to Soul Strut every single day.  It is still very much a part of my life.  I Soul Strut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    deezleeJimstermateoasstroketan

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

ketan

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Hey Parallax,

I log on to Soul Strut every single day.  It is still very much a part of my life.  I Soul Strut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    This^^^

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I still learn a lot here. But wish more people talked about more records/music tbh.  

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Shit does seem kinda dead. Like three posts a day dead.

Even with Trump and mass shootings the political threads aren't popping up. Which I'm not bothered about but it does seem rather indicative. 

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Ah shit...I'm over these RIP SoulStrut threads.  The role of the site has simply changed with the change of the internet.  

You used to have to go to a forum to get a question answered about some obscure record; now, a simple google search will get you the answer almost immediately.  That cuts down on traffic significantly.  Also, the nature of 'digging' has totally changed.    

This site offers priceless info from like minded folks.  In the last few years, here is what I have used this site for:

• Travel advice in Cali
    • Travel advice in NYC
    • Travel advice in Austin TX (also got to have some beers with the infamous Harvey Canal)
    • Offered Charleston travel advice to CBear and got to burn one with him and his lady
    • Use the mix section to play tunes on the beach almost every damn weekend  
    • Music recommendations
    • Documentary recommendations    
    • Reviews on if a live performer is worth checking out or not 
    • Insanely awesome podcast recommendations (including the Thes interview with the Southern Vanguard that I read about yesterday)
    • Super inside baseball rumors about Bambaata via Thes

The site is alive...the site is priceless as fuck...the site has changed...the internet has changed.   

Alright...gotta get back to work.  The real "RIP" is for my enthusiasm for this cubicle hell I've created for myself, amirite?!

Big_StacksDuderonomyThe Bizarre

You can't google:

"I dug [artist x], what other artists inhabit that mind garden?"
    "What Zappa should I avoid?"
    "Neil Young.  What is all the fuss about?"
    "95% of Northern is dog-muck.  Discuss."

(well you can, but only somewhere like t3h Strut would you get meaningful answers).
    JectWonBig_Stacks

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    :Hi:

As much as it has saddened me that Soul Strut will probably never be what it used to be ,  there is too much in these here archives to take it off-line.   If people want to pop in from time to time to say "hi" or talk shit, that is fine with me.

I was pretty much absent on here for about 5 years (from 2004-2009).  I was busy doing real world movez and caring for young children.  I MISSED A LOT.

Going into the archives and exploring the old threads is one of the most satisfying things I've done in my life time and it's kind of shameful that alot of the Internet moved on from it.  Soul Strut was an extremely influential, trend setting place for a lot of years WAYYYY before social media.  

In this day-in-age, it is far more convenient (and addictive) to be on an app on your phone rather than log on to a forum through a web browser.  I was late in leveraging this site's audience with the swing to social media too.  NOWADAYS... AT 40 YEARS OLD, I DO NOT CARE!

Everything is so ADD Fast Food Culture that I do not care to keep up.  Let the younger kids do it. 

Signed.

asstroketanBig_Stacksdollar_binThe BizarreScuba Steveppadilha

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    To be clear, the intent of my poast was to rouse mf'ers from their slumber. I love this place. Always have, always will. I'm glad you don't intend to shut it down, Raj. I've learned and laughed so much just by hanging out here. I'm sure others have as well.

Much love and respect to all the diehards--I'm one, too.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    JectWon said:

• Travel advice in NYC

On that note. Going to be in NYC in July.
    Its been six years APT (RIP) Big City (RIP)
    Will be hitting up A1, Good Records and Academy.
    Any good music bars to check out ? 

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Ah shit...I'm over these RIP SoulStrut threads.  The role of the site has simply changed with the change of the internet.  

The site is alive...the site is priceless as fuck...the site has changed...the internet has changed.    
    I think all the old threads about SS being dead, or not what it used to be, are whatever and a matter of conjecture. But you can't get around the fact that there's so little activity here now. Threads just seem to sit on the front page and you can see just how little because they have the hours or days since the last post stamped on them. 

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    Hi. I am brand spankin new to the Strut forum. Been into this record thing along with everything you can think of that comes with it for about 20 years now. Known about this site and have visited it from time to time but for whatever reason never became a member or commented on a post till recently. And I gotta say, I feel at home. 

My activity here may have something to do with the fact that I recently decided to take a hiatus from all social media. No FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Stress in my life was at an all time high with multiple jobs, creative endeavors, personal issues etc and cutting that shit out of my life seemed like it might help me focus and regain some sanity. It's been two weeks now and I feel more human and in control than I have in a long time. There is something incrediblely empowering about choosing to disconnect from everyone else's bullshit and refocusing on what maters most to you. In my case I guess that's digging for records cause I ended up here. It's also probably a result of a deep seeded habit of grabbing the iPhone and scrolling, connecting to others quickly through a device. 

So, despite that some might feel this is "lesser than" what it maybe used to be, I'm glad it's here and I look forward to participating more, digging through old posts for answers to questions someone else thought of before me, and helping to keep it alive.

Peace!

trzakhstanmateoklezmer electro-thug beatsdukeofdelridgeRAJDORBig_StacksdeezleeDuderonomy

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    messageboarding will never die
    RAJ

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    messageboarding will never die

just multiply.

Yo please stop, cause I want ya all to live.

This is Ice-T,

Peace...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    soulstrut por vida!

also still reading and getting real world connections through the site

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I still collect records, finally got Kenny Mann and Jaye P. Morgan this week. A few long time wants. Still check this site weekly. However, social media killed the entire interest-based message board industry so we shouldn't feel special. Think about how technology and communication has changed since 2000. 

Anybody who is ready to jump off the bandwagon let me know and I'll buy your collection. 

I can't wait to post photos of my custom set-up I'm building in my new house. That alone will revive this site, I'm confident (sarcasm). The only person qualified to do a RIP thread is RAJ. 
    RAJBig_StacksJimster

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    (It's working)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    Jaye P. Morgan
    This record still amazes me that it exists. Try to buy any other record from her other than the good one, I DARE YOU.
    It's something like if Julie London decided to make a record with The Meters for fun 1 time.

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    This is the same Jaye P Morgan that was on The Gong Show?!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Is that her?

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    Yup.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    This is the same Jaye P Morgan that was on The Gong Show?!

Her version of "Can't Hide Love" is the BUSINESS!

Duderonomy

That is the best thing I've heard today. 

VIVE LE STRUT.