EDAN appreciation post

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Man I just picked up the Fumbling Over Words That Rhyme 12"... and I think I'm getting a serious itch for Edan shit. I'm gonna have to pick up some more... suggestions? I've heard MCs Smoke Crack and some of it's remixes, and I've heard the whole new LP.Im listening right now to 'Beauty' on the flip, and the imagery is fucking great.
I drop science down a bottomless pitrun swift, do a handstand on pyramid tipsthe sun splits the waterfront causing prismatic effectsbutterflies come alive to have sexbirds fly out of my top hat slowto join the brilliance of wilderness and soar through the congospeak the convo through colours and shapesmy word choice is turquoise I love to createmy art hurdles over the clouds of dark purplered mixes yellow and blue in sharp circles
Any suggestions on some other Edan essentials?Fumbling remix coming soon... www.beatchemist.com

Comments

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

could somebody please pass the vinaigrette?

• Yeah, "Words that Rhyme" is a good 12" and perhaps my favorite track on the lp.

Other ones I liked in the past: MIC MANIPULATOR, YOU SUCK, THE HUMBLE MAGNIFICENT and that Souls of Mischief remix he did (primarily for that sick ass beat/inst)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I don't think you can go wrong with anything Edan has done. Get his 'Primitive plus' LP and all the early singles too.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    sing it shitface

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I don't think you can go wrong with anything Edan has done. Get his 'Primitive plus' LP and all the early singles too.

i think a lot of that album is unlistenable. same with "architecture" or whatever his first album was called. shit is a little too corny for me. his artistic progression since then has really been staggering. I'd stick to the later singles (all the ones with picture sleeves), sprain your tapedeck (which has the best songs from primitive plus), that aforementioned Souls remix (as well as his Opio/Mr. Liff remix) and the hard to track down "Rap Beautician" 7". his mixtapes are dope too if you're into that kind of thing.

when is dude going to tour again? i saw him three or four years ago and it was nuts. does he still do that rapping-while-beat-juggleing-one-handed thing?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    by the way, what's the current tally for edan-related posts? is it three figures yet?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    does he still do that rapping-while-beat-juggleing-one-handed thing?

yes

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    The new Beauty and the Beat LP is by far Edan's best work. Probably my favourite hip hop album for 2005 so far. There is a really dope Cut Chemist remix of "Torture Chamber" that is around on CD-R and will be released as the next 12". The remix has new lyrics as well. His mixes as Edan the DJ are all worth checkin out. I recall somebody posting his 'Live at the Enormous Room' 2 hour set on here a while back. He's also got this MC/Comedy/DJ party mix, a la Biz Markie, that I found on soulseek.
    Also found this random 'Fumbling Words' remix recently - check it out here

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0XSWD4YX5XXOI3NL0WB81LCE9B

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Checkin the remix now... very different than the one I'm working on. This one flips a lot of beats underneath it, and the acapella is chopped up a bit.

I'm doing something with a vibe more like the original - big rolling funk drums with some horns overtop. I'm trying to work out the chorus though - the original is such a large part of the song itself. Hopefullt my remix will get finished tommorrow night sometime.

Think I'd find that Cut Chemist remix on soulseek?

The new Beauty and the Beat LP is by far Edan's best work. Probably my favourite hip hop album for 2005 so far. There is a really dope Cut Chemist remix of "Torture Chamber" that is around on CD-R and will be released as the next 12". The remix has new lyrics as well. His mixes as Edan the DJ are all worth checkin out. I recall somebody posting his 'Live at the Enormous Room' 2 hour set on here a while back. He's also got this MC/Comedy/DJ party mix, a la Biz Markie, that I found on soulseek.
    Also found this random 'Fumbling Words' remix recently - check it out here

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0XSWD4YX5XXOI3NL0WB81LCE9B

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I heard "live at the Enormous Room" and thought it was pretty good, but when I saw him spin at APT I was flat out blown away. Dude is a better DJ than many folks who make a living as DJs.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    What's Edan been up to as of late? I'm seeing a few house songs released from an Edan on Apple Music that I'm guessing are not from the same guy.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah fuck, just the other day that sing it shitface tune came on my shuffle and I thought, I could really go some new material from this guy. Where he at?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Currently rocking doubles of Boogaloo songs you never heard in various locations in NYC. Dude is still a beast on the turntables...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

I had the pleasure of meeting Edan at the Good Records WFMU party in 2011.  Talent aside, the man was humble and down-to-earth.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I appreciate. He definitely needs to put out more beats.

• Currently playing guitar in a Black Sabbath tribute band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_oNIKoyNJY&feature=youtu.be