Enough is enough??

Or is it...I am now downsizing my collection which by any means is not large.. I was wondering if there is a point when you realise that a lot of the records that you own are not relevant to your collection...in that i mean you dont play them...like them or for whatever reason they are just taking up space..so the question I am asking...do most of you collect just to collect or are some of you ONLY collecting for quality/whatever reason or are just collectors for the sake of collecting...
Anyway i am selling heaps and just keeping the cream of the crop...
Comments??? anyone?? good vibes to all of you for the new year..
EZ Pickles

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    1000 is plenty for me, but I'd go as high as 2000.

I do a 1-in-1-out :pasue: to ensure I keep the collection tight :pasue:

Quality > Quantity 

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    OCD
    Pickles

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I hover at about 1000. Every record in my collection is listenable the whole way through and loved for myriad reasons. I sort and reevaluate every time I listen. I have had about 10,000-15,000 records not make the cut and get sold even though I either appreciated them at some point, or they got bought in collections and I never liked them in the first place. I do have 3-6 "sell" bins of records that I used to like. My friends look through them when they come over or they get sold at the local record show. My collection is constantly evolving and changing. Square footage in San Diego is too expensive to hoard records or keep one-trackers. I'm in a year long process of editing my MP3 collection right now and am excited to do another record purge after my newfound understanding of where I want to be musically. It's unbelievably nice to have room on the shelf and cash in the pocket so that you can feel good about buying new records and continuing to evolve musically. Hoarding keeps me stagnant in the past, plus I have no desire to be tripping over or maneuvering through bins everywhere.

Cosign on quality over quantity. 
    Pickles

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I don't really know how to get rid of records anymore, besides just tossing them in a dumpster. 4x4 expedit is only 45% good, with five crates in my bedroom not even worthy of joining the rest. I should do something about those. 

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Do you guys keep 45s in your collection when you already have the LP with the song on it? Do you collect 45s of song that have also released in a longer version on a 12" single?

• Do you guys keep 45s in your collection when you already have the LP with the song on it? Do you collect 45s of song that have also released in a longer version a 12" single?
    Yeah even if the version is the same.  

The 45 for gigs where I need to bring hella records, especially if I'm not bringing many/any 12" records. .  

The more cut-able/mixable 12" for shorter gigs or ones where I'm already bringing a bunch of 12"s.

And if the album is a good listen or has other cuts that I like then I'll take that too. 

• I'll keep more than 2 copies of a record that I like, too. 
    Someday I won't be able to get a copy I can't take that risk. 
    I'll keep more than 4 copies of a record that I don't like. 
    What if my tastes change and I want to juggle 2 copies then I'll need 2 more for performance and one clean one in case I want to sample it.

• Do you guys keep 45s in your collection when you already have the LP with the song on it? Do you collect 45s of song that have also released in a longer version a 12" single?
    Yes always pick up the 7'' even if I have the lp/12 version//\\ always

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Pickles said:
    Do you guys keep 45s in your collection when you already have the LP with the song on it? Do you collect 45s of song that have also released in a longer version a 12" single?
    Yes always pick up the 7'' even if I have the lp/12 version//\\ always

For certain cuts, yes.

Also, when I play solo, I prefer to play almost all 45s (like Deezlee) because they're lighter.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Do you guys keep 45s in your collection when you already have the LP with the song on it? Do you collect 45s of song that have also released in a longer version on a 12" single?
    I've been slowly purging my one-tracker LPs when I find the single for the good song on it (i.e. the pile of Roberto Carlos LPs I bought because they have one good tune). I don't mind keeping the LP if it's more than a one-tracker, then the 7" goes into my DJ set.