45 storage ideas...

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Ok so I am looking at possibly getting something real slick to store/ display 45's in ....any sugesstions....thanks in advance

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    my pal has 2 6x6(?) card catalog styled holding shelf. like at the library when youre looking for a book, you can pull out these shelves and see all the 45s. its nice wood.

he bought them off some old record store owner out here in the bay. damn things were heavy as shit trying to put it on the truck but theyre some of the nicest shelves ive ever seen.

• lucky lager boxes are a perfect fit, not so "slick" though.

used to be able to find those mini milkcrates at some walgreens/someshit

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    my pal has 2 6x6(?) card catalog styled holding shelf. like at the library when youre looking for a book, you can pull out these shelves and see all the 45s. its nice wood.

he bought them off some old record store owner out here in the bay. damn things were heavy as shit trying to put it on the truck but theyre some of the nicest shelves ive ever seen.

These must have been custom built for records. And they are my dream storage solution for 45s. I go into antique malls and junk shops and thrifts and wherever else hoping against hope that I'll find that little bastard shelf with 8x8 inch square drawers (7.5 x 7.5 would probably be better - that inch would be too much wiggle room) that someone needed for something along the way and no enterprising beat digger has found before me. (Not even DANTE would come into this shitsmelling place off the beaten path...) So far, I have not found any such piece of rotten old furniture, though when I do, I will surely make such a ruckus that even soulstrut will quake in its wake.

For now, I've got the 45s in a hodgepodge of storage locations. A flight case from Labcabin, berghoff beer boxes, an antique chinese toy box, and some other random stacks and boxes around the record room. It's hardly an elegant solution. I would love to find the type of thing your pal has Jinxy. if he's ever getting rid of it and wants to offer free shipping to the midwest, holleratchyerboy.

Peace,
    JRoot

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    man you would think that some company would have came up with something, some sort of storage unit for 45's....guess the market isnt big enough?? hmmmmm

• i know it aint slick looking or what you would prolly want to have in your home , but i just picked up some makeup crates from the dollar store and they stack and lock togther and they fit 45's nicely,
    i got anywhere around 4-500 45's and i got these other boxes that they have in the back of 7=11 and i use those for the records that i use when i go out to spin and the crates i use to store at home.
    man for a buck a piece you cant beat it ,
    but yeah good luck on your hunt for that shelf.
    i would think here in the bay area if you head up to sonoma or marin you could find something like that there's alot of wood workers up that way.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I too have looked far and wide for some kind of 45 shelves and settled on these. This is the only good picture I can find using Google (I don't know what the hell all that stuff hanging off the bottom is, but they are not included with the product! ) and I'm not even sure IKEA still sells them:

The 45s are larger than the shelves but it actually works really well. I have two of them on top of some shelves holding LPs.

I too have looked far and wide for some kind of 45 shelves and settled on these. This is the only good picture I can find using Google (I don't know what the hell all that stuff hanging off the bottom is, but they are not included with the product! ) and I'm not even sure IKEA still sells them:

The 45s are larger than the shelves but it actually works really well. I have two of them on top of some shelves holding LPs.

Do you know the name of these shelves?? Imma check Ikeas site...

i know it aint slick looking or what you would prolly want to have in your home , but i just picked up some makeup crates from the dollar store and they stack and lock togther and they fit 45's nicely,
    i got anywhere around 4-500 45's and i got these other boxes that they have in the back of 7=11 and i use those for the records that i use when i go out to spin and the crates i use to store at home.
    man for a buck a piece you cant beat it ,
    but yeah good luck on your hunt for that shelf.
    i would think here in the bay area if you head up to sonoma or marin you could find something like that there's alot of wood workers up that way.

imma investigate this also esp the smaller crates I keep hearing of..

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    these hold 45s perfectly, the shelves adjust

these hold 45s perfectly as well

both from Ikea

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I tried to find just a stock picture using IKEA's on-line catalog, but I couldn't find it, probably because it's set up is pretty obtuse. I'm pretty sure they still make them. Sorry can't be of more help.

I tried to find just a stock picture using IKEA's on-line catalog, but I couldn't find it, probably because it's set up is pretty obtuse. I'm pretty sure they still make them. Sorry can't be of more help.

I may be able to gt someone to make these for me......

• these hold 45s perfectly as well

I have five of these along with the myriad vintage 45 carrying cases.

• whats the product called?

• cool thanks, I'll have to make a trip out there, retail for 7.99 here in Canada not to shabby!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Just copped this one on ebay for 39€. 45s fit perfectly in it.  Quite cool, isn't it?

para11axstratasphere

• leofromvermontleofromvermont Steve Halpern's glovebox 30 Posts
    Sweet!  I'm looking for something similar for dancehall 45's 

• leofromvermontleofromvermont Steve Halpern's glovebox 30 Posts
    Any ikea style shelves that are good?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Just copped this one on ebay for 39€. 45s fit perfectly in it.  Quite cool, isn't it?

Dude who recommended it on facebook has already filled it up with 45s:

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I had a hard time finding a solution that would work, be practical, and cheap. In the end, I found the GLES box and SAMLA lid from IKEA. In total it's $2.75 per box and they can fit about 150 7"s each. The plastic is, from what I researched, archive grade so no leaching. They're not meant to go together so they don't actually lock together but the lid at least keeps dust and liquids out. They use to have other colors butthe green ones are the only ones they've had for quite some time.

The other option are these small cases that I seem to find every so often and they're usually under $10 each.

Forget about those bagsunlimited white cardboard boxes. They're a waste of money imo and relatively expensive and non-protective.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I only count like 16 recommendations. 29 more to go!

- D
    Jimsterwillie_fugal

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    I only count like 16 recommendations. 29 more to go!

- D
    I was going to make that crack last week!  

• someone recently showed me an ikea setup that's almost like an old library card catalog piece with drawers that are perfect for fitting 45s. it was white, had legs. i tried looking on ikea's website just now though & couldn't find it.... anybody know what i'm talking about??