Record store renaissance?

In the past month I've been to record stores in Chattanooga, Columbus, and St. Catherines (Ontario). They've been busier than I've seen over the past decade, even at off hours, and have all had solid stock.  Lots of people buying classic rock and $10 records.  

I'd come to think that the era of popsike on smartphones had ruined digging in stores, but I've found some unusually good, obvious pulls.  Now I get to the point, which is bragging:

Thanks St. Catherines!   Who would have thought you can find records like this in the wild in 2016? Certainly not me.  $10, in case you're wondering.  Signed by Billy Martin, or at least someone pretending to be him.   

I've never seen this Toronto-area record before, and am very much feeling the smooth moder stylings of the title track.  

Thanks Chattanooga!

Apparently this isn't on youtube.  Great version of Scarborough Fair.  

Thanks Columbus!

(Now i'm just pulling a K in Canada classique and bullshitting you.)

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Pssh.  It's a dark time for the strut when no one responds to a little gloating.  

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Dude... That Hipnotic is a classic.  Big $$$ record too!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Nice haul.... I haven't made it on here in a while because I haven't been buying records like I used to.

I have noticed the overpriced rock record trend these days... Hopefully the youngin's will overlook the raer.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Sick finds!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I like Demo Cates version of City Funk:

OK. Having guilted people into a few responses, I feel much better about the world. 

My problem with Demo Cates is his corny sax moves.  So unnecessary.  I feel like he was positioning himself for a Kenny G adult contemporary career, but the stars never quite aligned for him. 

Dan, you probably don't even need that Hipnotic joint. It's not good. Send it to me and I can properly dispose of it at no cost to you.

para11ax said:
    Dan, you probably don't even need that Hipnotic joint. It's not good. Send it to me and I can properly dispose of it at no cost to you.
    Dude! That's really kind. 

I just need you to wire me $300 to pay for some associated costs, and then I'll definitely have my Nigerian prince mail it to you the next day.  

Are you lonely, bruh?...

;)

• damn, Billy Martin in a shop for $10, in 2016??!

great pull on the Hipnotic too.

• leofromvermontleofromvermont Steve Halpern's glovebox 30 Posts
    An old record store in central Vermont turned into a cd/greeting card store (I shit you not) in the 90's and is now 75% vinyl again. Love the trend.

And I've gotten great stuff lots of places at surprisingly low cost too. Noob dudes sweating Rumors passing on RAER. I have thought to myself maybe the average record IQ is much lower now possibly, with civilians buying stuff they actually will listen to rather than RAER to shelf and never see again maybe?  Who knows. And it seems like in the real life record buying world (around here anyway) people would rather drop $20 on a "classic" than $35 on a $100 Poopsike record. But I only buy new age cassettes so what do I know. 

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    love that dick drew

what a random place to find it

and an untouched billy martin in a store wow

• Thanks for this post.  It seems everyone I know who digs goes for the same 100 records (Dylan, Stones, Beatles, add nausea).  It's good to see some obscure stuff get shine!

• NoRecordSnobsNoRecordSnobs Victoria, BC, Canada 7 Posts
    An old record store in central Vermont turned into a cd/greeting card store (I shit you not) in the 90's and is now 75% vinyl again. Love the trend.

And I've gotten great stuff lots of places at surprisingly low cost too. Noob dudes sweating Rumors passing on RAER. I have thought to myself maybe the average record IQ is much lower now possibly, with civilians buying stuff they actually will listen to rather than RAER to shelf and never see again maybe?  Who knows. And it seems like in the real life record buying world (around here anyway) people would rather drop $20 on a "classic" than $35 on a $100 Poopsike record. But I only buy new age cassettes so what do I know. 
    I'm glad that a majority of new record buyers are buying the common titles. Leaves the more obscure stuff for me. 

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    para11ax said:
    Representative of the GreenCr8 project

Dudes, the Hipnotic was a joke.

ost said:
    para11ax said:
    Representative of the GreenCr8 project

Dudes, the Hipnotic was a joke.
    GUY, WHY U HAS TO PUT ME ON BALAST LIKE TAHT?

b/w

[way over your head, but whatevs]

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    No BALAST brokowski. The move is to tell people you'll dispose of their records for environmental reasons.
    para11ax