Which popular 90's sample cd Crazy Town-Revolving Door guitar riff came from? LA RIOT?

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
Here's another one of those sample mysteries that has baffled people for awhile. 
I was just on whosampled and there's still some discussions. 
I had some of those common 90's sample cds I used with my MPC, and I think it did come from one of them. 

it was also used by the German hip hop group Creme de la Creme and some Hungarian hip hop band before Crazy Town sampled it
in 2001. 

Creme de la Creme 1998

Ganxsta Zollee  year?

Liroy 1997

Comments

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Sorry i can't help you here - I have no experience with sample CD's, let alone ones from the 90's containing incredibly wack guitar loops.

I can understand people obsessing over mysterious samples from classic and great hip hop tracks but the youtube clips in your post (although i must admit i didn't listen to the last one) are most definitely neither.

Why in the fuck anyone with even average intelligence would devote any voluntary thought towards the group Crazytown in 2015 is utterly beyond me.

Please provide a link to this "discussion" over at whosampled.com? They must be spambots or infomorphs equipped with Shazam surely, not real people.

(As you can tell from that last sentence I know next to nothing about marauding computer programs but hopefully you get my drift.)

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    cai said:
    Sorry i can't help you here - I have no experience with sample CD's, let alone ones from the 90's containing incredibly wack guitar loops.

I can understand people obsessing over mysterious samples from classic and great hip hop tracks but the youtube clips in your post (although i must admit i didn't listen to the last one) are most definitely neither.

That's probably why people are interested - it's a nice sample that could be put to better use. Maybe a euro record if two euromang raps have used it. Paging Batmon.

• Man I am slightly ashamed of how I still get some vague excitement and smugness when I spot a sample, even now, in two thousand and goddamn fifteen, but even I draw the line at stuff that came from production tool loop CDs from the 90s. Life is short. You might die tomorrow thinking "why the hell did I spend time yesterday thinking about hungarian hip hop samples that aren't even from an interesting record". But then, I did spend a good year obsessing over analog synths despite having virtually no interest in playing them, so yeah I'm full of shit.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Hey now! Don't bite my head off because Crazy Town sampled it!! Also don't forget though Crazy Town was over the top obnoxious they did give us the legendary DJ AM RIP. ;)

Also don't knock the sample cds because a lot of the golden era hip hop songs you probably like used them in production FACT!  

I'm just curious where the guitar riff came from, it's either sampled from a record or played live in the studio specifically for those royalty free sample cds. That's all

If it is from a sample CD ilke you say, it sounds like they just instructed the guitarist to play some bullshit that sounds like the beginning to Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Which explains why Crazy Town sampled it.

Maybe someone else will post in this thread that shares your enthusiasm for this guitar loop, lets wait and see.

cai said:
    If it is from a sample CD ilke you say, it sounds like they just instructed the guitarist to play some bullshit that sounds like the beginning to Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Which explains why Crazy Town sampled it.

Maybe someone else will post in this thread that shares your enthusiasm for this guitar loop, lets wait and see.

It sounds like a Hendrix riff rip off to me. I'm really just interested in the provenance of the guitar sample. 
    Outside of DJ AM Crazy Town was really only known for looping RHCP's Pretty little Ditty and making a hit from it called Butterfly. 
    Then they disappeared. 

Wikipedia says Siouxie and the Banshees sample??? lol
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolving_Door_(song)

• Very nice topic guys!

This sample is a big mistery. The answer is somewhere around 1998.

The ‘Való Világ’ song of Ganxsta Zolee & the Kartel released on the album ‘Helldorado’ in 1999. It is a very iconic album btw.
    The producer of the album namely ‘Pierrot’ bought almost all the royality free instrumental  sample cds from the internet.
    That was the way to do a cool radio hits during that time.  
    Around the same time German fellas bought the same stuff too, so they made therir own usage for Creme de La Creme.

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Wtf. This thread is hilarious. Cai sounds annoyed as fuck. 

• annoyed yet fair and balanced

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    THE ENDURING LEGACY OF CRAZY TOWN 

Is there a way to notify Cai that this thread has gone active again? I don’t want this to die. 
    djtopcat

• Message him?
    Curiously the views-to-postcount on this thread are absurdly high, making me think there really is some insular web community of doggshit 90s commercial sample CD spotters searching this out?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    cai said:
    Please provide a link to this "discussion" over at whosampled.com?

It's up there now. 

djtopcat

I don’t remember this thread but I was probably having a bad week for other unrelated reasons. It does seem a little OTT on my part. 
    Duderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsketan

Bumpity bump!  How much do you think these guys got paid to make this elevator music?
    I'm going to guess not very much.
    Just read some crazy shit about Crazy Town. That Shifty Shellshock Binzer dude allegedly sold off their studio DATs and music gear for crack money. That's why they don't have their original studio recordings and had to re-record Butterfly etc. 
    Question who's wacker of the LA glam rappers Crazy Town or Mickey Avalon?

• "LA glam rappers" reminds me of the idea I had for a long running hundreds of hours long podcast with one topic only: talking shit about Egyptian Lover

Hold up. Egypt Egypt is my jam. 

"LA glam rappers" reminds me of the idea I had for a long running hundreds of hours long podcast with one topic only: talking shit about Egyptian Lover

Hey now Greg is a pioneer in West Coast electro funk/hip hop. His label Egyptian Empire had Rodney O & Joe Cooley first! I hope you were joking. Not all of his songs were like this.

• Look, I didn't say I don't like Egyptian Lover or think he's influential, I just think it'd be funny to commit hundreds of hours to calumny and slander against him as a piece of performance art