Boxing Headz

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    This is the 2nd fight in which I've seen Thurman have trouble with guys who know what they're doing. I don't think he is title-ready yet, as A-class dudes will exploit the shit out of his technical flaws.

Collazo was a tough fighter. But, to be fair, it definitely seemed like Thurman was hurting in his left hand. He was barely throwing hooks and stuff.

Same "un-tested" quality to Deontay Wilder as well? I hear you on the fighting B and C-class fighters though...

Hey Yuichi,

Sure, I think Thurman might have been hurt. Yet, this doesn't explain the trouble he had with Robert Guerrero, who is a B-class fighter on his best night in the ring, in his previous fight. Plus, A-class guys get wins all the time when they're hurt. I've seen many guys like Money Mayweather, Sugar Ray Leonard, Andre Ward, Pernell Whitaker, etc. get wins despite being hurt in a fight (usually hand injuries). Hell, Edison Miranda broke Arthur Abraham's jaw yet Abraham managed to get a decision win. Regarding Deontay Wilder, yep! I don't know if he is ready for Wladimir Klitscho owing to his relatively weak competition (other than from Bermane Stiverne who is a B-class guy at best).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Any recreational boxers out there, use knee compression sleeves?

I hurt my knee a little, using basketball shoes for the heavy bag. They seemed to have too much traction and probably don't work as well rotating my legs on a punch....I need to get some boxing shoes. Any recs for these as well?

Anybody watching PBC?

Cruiseweight title match was a good one! Polish dude was trailing to a dude that was fighting his 13th title defense. 11th round KO, bam!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

That was a helluva fight! Wojacki came out with big aggression, fell behind, then pulled it out of the fire. I couldn't help but root for the underdog. Huck vs. Wojacki is definitely a fight-of-the-year candidate.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Yuichi,

That was a helluva fight! Wolacki came out with big aggression, fell behind, then pulled it out of the fire. I couldn't help but root for the underdog. Huck vs. Wolacki is definitely a fight-of-the-year candidate.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That was a good one!

Stacks and everyone else,

Is it really really over for Money May?

Jordan, Favre, Jay-Z, Foreman....

I also noticed just now that from the Jim Grey Post-fight interview, there wasn't too much about thanking his trainers, kids, manager, etcx2.....I think that's a pretty big give-away no?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hard to say.

What could possibly motivate him to keep going? He believes he has nothing to prove, he has no financial incentive (he's already insanely rich), he's 38-39 yrs old and has his health intact.

On the other hand, 49-0 is not the same as 50-0, so who knows.

I have to say, even though his style was boring and he pretty much hand-picked opponents, he will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    I'm no boxing fan but I found this article a really interesting read. The description of the fight is quite harrowing. I'd never heard of Emile Griffith before.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/10/boxer-emile-griffith-gay-taunts-book-extract?CMP=fb_gu