Recommend Me Some Old Soul LPs

2»

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I mean, Otis Redding has like 7 LP's, and I am hard pressed to find any junk on them...on most Stax/Volt LP's, for that matter...

i was just thinking the same thing... i would say that the primacy of the 45 in the soul game could arguably make the LP's BETTER and less like throwaways, since comparably the companies made less of them. i mean, not counting comps, stax/volt only pressed like 25 LP's between 62-68!

most of the stax volt LP's i have are pretty awesome all the way thru... shit like the otis redding records, the Walking the Dog LP, Born Under a Bad Sign, the Carla Thomas LPs, the Sam and Dave records, the Knock on Wood LP, are pretty great all the way thru... and most of the stax stuff avoids the "too many pop covers, too many covers of other artists on the same label" thing that motown has... but again, i REALLY like hearing shit like Smokey Robinson sing "i just to know what to do with myself" on Going to A Go Go (another start to finish classic).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    look at the Temps LP's...find me a bad one, please!

Well, I've been hesitant to pick up In A Mellow Mood, which does not try to hide the fact that it's a Vegas album.

It wasn't till the late 60s that you started to see the cohesive soul album.

I'd consider 1976 to be the year that soul finally started taking albums seriously. Even in the late sixties/early seventies, the Chi-Lites had the same songs repeated on their first three albums.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'd consider 1976 to be the year that soul finally started taking albums seriously. Even in the late sixties/early seventies, the Chi-Lites had the same songs repeated on their first three albums.

But again, this statement completely ignores the entire Stax/Volt LP discography, including the Bar-Kays late-60's/early 70's LP's, and also the Motown psych/soul movement, which was absolutely album-based, including the Temps psych records and the entire output of The Undisputed Truth.

My point is, yes - there are thousands of amazing soul songs on 45 that are not on LP, and countless artists who only got to do 45's or whose best work is on 45 - but this does not mean you should pass up on a chance to buy Freddie Scott's amazing "Are You Lonely For Me" LP on Shout because the 45 tracks are better...or Candi Staton on Fame, etc, etc...

Yes, like James Carr's 2 LP's (which do repeat a few tracks) or O.V. Wright's many LP's on Back Beat...the list is a lot longer than I think some people realize...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

But again, this statement completely ignores the entire Stax/Volt LP discography, including the Bar-Kays late-60's/early 70's LP's, and also the Motown psych/soul movement, which was absolutely album-based, including the Temps psych records and the entire output of The Undisputed Truth.

The Payback, There It is, What's Going On, Innervisions, Maggot Brain, Roots, Curtis, Superfly OST, Hot Buttered Soul (!!!!!!!), There's a Riot Going On etc..

i would say albums like Hot Buttered Soul and What's Going On and all the Norman Whitfield stuff established the LP format in soul before 76... i mean for vocal group stuff, the Delfonics and Dramatics LP's are pretty dope all the way thru... fuck, the Dramatics were making frigging concept records:

• stax volt? may as well give B a sleeping pill.

not really my sound. but it's cool. maybe they made soul LPs down there?

• I'd be curious to hear this one...
    I Know Love

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    look at the Temps LP's...find me a bad one, please!

Well, I've been hesitant to pick up In A Mellow Mood, which does not try to hide the fact that it's a Vegas album.

In A Mellow Mood's not that bad. The Temptations On Broadway is another story.

In A Mellow Mood's not that bad. The Temptations On Broadway is another story.

oops forgot about that one

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    (I know I'm missing one or two)

please rate:

The Impressions

Keep on Pushing

Never Ending Impressions

One by One

People Get Ready

Ridin' High

The Fabulous Impressions

This Is My Country

We're a Winner

The Young Mods' Forgotten Story

The Fabulous Impressions is my least favourite.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off that album.

"I'm Still Waiting" is one of the rawest tracks the Impressions ever recorded.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Howard Tate
    Garnett Mimms
    James Carr

I agree with you, but:

(a) those were the exceptions[/b], not the rule[/b]. Even as late as 1973-74, Motown stuck "Dancing Machine" on two Jackson Five albums in a row.

(b) apart from the Bar-Kays, you gave the wrong examples. You have a point about Stax and Motown, but I was thinking more like Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hathaway, Swamp Dogg, Millie Jackson (starting with Caught Up), Bill Withers, and all those black rock bands like the 70's era Isley Brothers, Cymande, Funkadelic, War, Mandrill, etc.. Can't forget about Stax's own Isaac Hayes. And if I had to use Motown as an example, I'd go with Stevie and Marvin since they were a little more in control of their sound than the Temptations and the Undisputed Truth, who seemed to have Norman Whitfield pulling the strings.

My point is, yes - there are thousands of amazing soul songs on 45 that are not on LP, and countless artists who only got to do 45's or whose best work is on 45 - but this does not mean you should pass up on a chance to buy Freddie Scott's amazing "Are You Lonely For Me" LP on Shout because the 45 tracks are better...or Candi Staton on Fame, etc, etc...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd never REFUSE to buy a 60's soul album. Hell, just the other day I bought an Ollie & the Nightingales LP (on Stax) from '68 or '69. And I own a lot of non-compilation soul albums as it is. (The two Darrell Banks albums, on Atco and Volt, are pure soul goodness.) But facts is facts; filler tracks were a harsh fact of life for R&B albums in the pre-disco days.

Think I'm jiving? Find a copy of Shame, Shame, Shame by Shirley & Company (from 1975) and try to tell me it was a cohesive unified statement! (And I kinda like that trashy album, too, but let's be real...)

Here's a pretty good resource for Curtis/Impressions material. I don't necessarily agree with the ratings and review, but it's very comprehensive:

Wilson & Alroy's Record Reviews - Curtis & Impressions

I'm in the middle of reading this site (not just the Impressions), and while I don't agree with their opinions (they seem kinda uptight ala Robert Christgau), this still is an interesting read.

• Some from me:

Freddie Butler on Kapp
    Freddie Hughes on Wand (not FRED Hughes..)
    Artistics on Brunswick (all of them..)
    Garland Green on UNI

/L

• Lou Courtney's first LP is solid...

• Current fave: The Temptations - Soul Spin.

Mostly because of the cover of California Dreaming. Simply fantastic. The Light My Fire cover is dope as hell too.

- J

Current fave: The Temptations - Soul Spin.

Okay, folks, can't stand it no longer!

Cosmophonic, I believe it was the Four Tops who had an album called Soul Spin, not the Tempts.

Mister C, it was the Four Tops who had an LP called On Broadway, not the Tempts.

Mostly because of the cover of California Dreaming. Simply fantastic. The Light My Fire cover is dope as hell too.

I guess it's covers like that that scare me away from some soul albums. You talk about "suspect!"

I've heard soul renditions of both of those songs that I've liked, but even so, if they're doing tunes like THAT, then covers of lounge cornballs like "Little Green Apples" can't be far behind. Only Nancy Wilson fans can appreciate that! Matter of taste, I reckon.

Mister C, it was the Four Tops who had an LP called On Broadway, not the Tempts.

They both did, I promise you. I think the Temps one was with the Supremes (and, no, I'm not thinking of the Magnificant 7 stuff). I will find internet proof if you don't believe me.

I knew I wasn't crazy...and there is no Soul Spin in their discog either.

*Edited to include a link that works to further prove I'm not crazy.

• Mister C, it was the Four Tops who had an LP called On Broadway, not the Tempts.

They both did, I promise you. I think the Temps one was with the Supremes (and, no, I'm not thinking of the Magnificant 7 stuff). I will find internet proof if you don't believe me.

I have a Four Tops EP with a version of 'Matchmaker Matchmaker' from Fiddler On The Roof. The very definition of

• I'd be curious to hear this one...

I love this song. There are a couple others that are good too, but you're dead on. That string part is killer. Found it cheap years ago and haven't seen another since. I don't thinks its rare though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    (4) Songs that just don't measure up, period. (Jesse James' album on 20th Century Fox plays like one long B-side.)

Damn, dude... I like that record a lot...

(4) Songs that just don't measure up, period. (Jesse James' album on 20th Century Fox plays like one long B-side.)

Damn, dude... I like that record a lot...

Sorry, I wanted to like that record, since (a) I found it cheap, and (2) I have other J.J. singles on other labels that are really good! ("Don't Nobody Want To Get Married" on Zea, "At Last" on Zay, even 1987's "I Can Do Bad By Myself" on TTED...) But, the 20th Century Fox album is just sorta THERE...

And yes, Mr. C, I now believe you 'bout the Tempts' On B'way rekkid. I knew about it - I guess I overlooked it because it's a duet album with Diana and the Supremes (who get top billing), but hey, it's all good!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

and for the early 70s heads....

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    RAJ said:

this is such a fantastic record.

and this one also is a solid listen