Recommend Me Some Old Soul LPs

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited January 2006 in Music Talk
This thread isnt to be interpreted as a dis to Guzzo's. I am interested in hearing about some solid soul LPs from the 60s ONLY. Doesnt have to be rare or obscure, just good.I'll start it off...

Comments

• that al green is a personal alltime fave...every track on it breaks me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hey Scruffy!

I'll cross-reference the FAME thread and add Jimmy Hughes' WHY NOT TONIGHT lp.

also Irma Thomas WISH SOMEONE WOULD CARE on Imperial.

so many.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This thread isnt to be interpreted as a dis to Guzzo's.

...but it's pretty similar to Sun Fortune's

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Oooohhh, good one, I concur & add Eddie Floyd's "Knock On Wood".

Oooohhh, good one, I concur & add Eddie Floyd's "Knock On Wood".

I like Eddie Floyd's "Soul Street" too, but that's more 70s soul.

these too

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    every damn thing The Impressions put out in the 60's is solid.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I know I'll get seriously hatted on for this, but I can't get with some of the production/arrangement on some of those records...

I know I'll get seriously hatted on for this, but I can't get with some of the production/arrangement on some of those records...

Consider yerself hatted on.

• every damn thing The Impressions put out in the 60's is solid.

I'll second that.

no hatt - i can understand that.

i found some of it a little too saccharine/fluffy for my liking at first, too. but the more i listened and within the rest of it, the more i loved it.

Cosign. That's that patented Chi-town soul sound. Shweeet.

Well, there are several cash-in (no pun intended) LPs they did in the sixties which I don't rate at all. Maybe Pickwick33 can expand on this but it seems that after the beautiful records like Riding High, Keep On Pushing, etc. they cut several records of standards that are just totally flacid.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

Well, there are several cash-in (no pun intended) LPs they did in the sixties which I don't rate at all. Maybe Pickwick33 can expand on this but it seems that after the beautiful records like Riding High, Keep On Pushing, etc. they cut several records of standards that are just totally flacid.

All popular R&B artists in the 1960s did this from the Temptations to James Brown.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I'll second that.

THIRDED. If you hate The Impressions, you hate yourself. (so kidding, but so funny)

• http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=557950&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

we already had this conversation. It's a 45s game, son. Most soul LPs are a couple of singles and the rest filler. Soul sounds better on 45 anyway.

(I know I'm missing one or two)

please rate:

The Impressions
    Keep on Pushing
    Never Ending Impressions
    One by One
    People Get Ready
    Ridin' High
    The Fabulous Impressions
    This Is My Country
    We're a Winner
    The Young Mods' Forgotten Story

The Fabulous Impressions is my least favourite.

All popular R&B artists in the 1960s did this from the Temptations to James Brown.

I love the Impressions like a hawg loves slop, but when it comes to the ABC years, I'd sooner stick with singles and compilations, 'cause there are some fowl songs on the original albums. I'm sorry, but "Lemon Tree" and "Romancing To The Folk Song" (a Curtis original) do NOT stand tall with "Keep On Pushing" or "We're A Winner."

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I love the Impressions like a hawg loves slop, but when it comes to the ABC years, I'd sooner stick with singles and compilations, 'cause there are some fowl songs on the original albums. I'm sorry, but "Lemon Tree" and "Romancing To The Folk Song" (a Curtis original) do NOT stand tall with "Keep On Pushing" or "We're A Winner."

THANK YOU

This is exactly what I was talking about... I have plenty comps & singles of that era...

I would never eva, EVA eva, EVA EVA EVA EVA hate on the Impressions in general...

THANK YOU

This is exactly what I was talking about... I have plenty comps & singles of that era...

I would never eva, EVA eva, EVA EVA EVA EVA hate on the Impressions in general...

yes, so knewjak - The Impressions' 60's discography is well worth checking out.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Here's a pretty good resource for Curtis/Impressions material. I don't necessarily agree with the ratings and review, but it's very comprehensive:

Wilson & Alroy's Record Reviews - Curtis & Impressions

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

THANK YOU

I celebrate the impressions entire discography.

• I guess I'm not amazed by this whole album, but "I Know Love" on here was my favorite song for a couple weeks a while back. Cool lyrics about how his mom has passed away but would be so proud to know that he got together with such a special lady. when the strings come crashing down in the chorus

Worth whatever you pay for it just for this one song!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

we already had this conversation. It's a 45s game, son. Most soul LPs are a couple of singles and the rest filler. Soul sounds better on 45 anyway.

Although I agree 45's are when collecting soul,
    I'm curious to know what this "filler" is on most soul LP's.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here. Most soul LP's from the 60's I
    own are pretty damn solid.

I had a whole rant a few weeks ago about how my favorite thing
    is finding complete LP's by artists you thought were "45-only."
    At the time, I had just found out that Freddie Hughes had a full LP
    on Wand - this was exciting news to me, as was finding the Freddie North LP on Abet (although I admit that record does have some "filler" but Abet LP's always have tracks directed towards the straight Country crowd), and
    that Jean Wells has an LP on Calla, etc.

THANK YOU

...just as long as you stick to the 45's and the greatest-hits albums! I don't wanna hear them doing fucking "Up, Up & Away"!!!

I celebrate the impressions entire discography.

Only a stone masochist could celebrate "Romancing To The Folk Song!"

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

THANK YOU

really?????

side 2 of "people get ready" is one of my favorite sides of a record EVER... actually that whole record is pretty unreal all the way thru... i got that record when i was like 17 and it changed my life completely.

yeah, the Impressions have a few misses in their catalogue, but it's only b/c they have so many records. they have quite a few LP's that are awesome all the way thru...

oh and for soul LP's, lately i've been digging:

the version of "16 tons" on there is nasty...

Although I agree 45's are when collecting soul,
    I'm curious to know what this "filler" is on most soul LP's.

Lemme run the voodoo down, here:
    (1) Soul singers doing lounge standards. (Several Motown acts fall in this category, although it also afflicted the Artistics, Barbara Acklin, Fontella Bass, the aforementioned Impressions, several others.)
    (2) Soul singers doing other people's hits (which wouldn't be a bad thing, except a lot of those records sound hastily recorded, with no thought behind them...I hate to keep picking on Motown, but here's another example: the Elgins' Darling Baby).
    (3) Boring instrumentals. (Cliff Nobles & Co.'s album on Phil-L.A. of Soul falls in this category.)
    (4) Songs that just don't measure up, period. (Jesse James' album on 20th Century Fox plays like one long B-side.)

So, when we say that 60's soul LP's have a mess of filler, this is what we're thinking of. And when I want to hear Marvin Gaye, I want SOUL MUSIC. I do not want to hear him trying to be Johnny Mathis!

the Freddie North LP on Abet does have some "filler" but Abet LP's always have tracks directed towards the straight Country crowd)

Nothing wrong with that, except that a few of those Freddie North songs crossed the border from "country" into Straight-Up Middle-Of-The-Road Elevator Music. (I liked the rest of it well enough...)

Don't get me wrong, there are good 1960's soul albums that aren't best-ofs or live (Howard Tate's Get It While You Can comes to mind, as does Bobby Womack's Fly Me To The Moon), but sometimes it does sound like these artists were saving their best things for the A-sides of the singles.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I'd be curious to hear this one...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    RE: Pickwick33:

Yes, I agree with some of that - I guess it is personal taste, too...I like some of the soul versions of pop standards, and I definitely like soul versions of rock/beat stuff that you find on LP's as well.

In fact, I especially like the Motown versions cited - I think the Brenda Holloway & Elgins records are good from start to finish, and I own both of them.

But I am more frustrated by the typical SS blanket staements, like saying that 45's are the only way to go, and dismissing just about all soul LP's as a waste of time - I mean, Otis Redding has like 7 LP's, and I am hard pressed to find any junk on them...on most Stax/Volt LP's, for that matter...Motown stuff tends to keep the schlock on specific LP's geared towards that audience, while other LP's are "all killer." Marvin Gaye has some showtune stuff in the 60's, but his late-60's LP's are outstanding all the way through...I mean, look at the Temps LP's...find me a bad one, please!

• RE: Pickwick33:

Yes, I agree with some of that - I guess it is personal taste, too...I like some of the soul versions of pop standards, and I definitely like soul versions of rock/beat stuff that you find on LP's as well.

In fact, I especially like the Motown versions cited - I think the Brenda Holloway & Elgins records are good from start to finish, and I own both of them.

But I am more frustrated by the typical SS blanket staements, like saying that 45's are the only way to go, and dismissing just about all soul LP's as a waste of time - I mean, Otis Redding has like 7 LP's, and I am hard pressed to find any junk on them...on most Stax/Volt LP's, for that matter...Motown stuff tends to keep the schlock on specific LP's geared towards that audience, while other LP's are "all killer." Marvin Gaye has some showtune stuff in the 60's, but his late-60's LP's are outstanding all the way through...I mean, look at the Temps LP's...find me a bad one, please!

cool dude. all I'm saying, and I really dont think you can argue with this, is that thee format for 60s soul was the 45 rpm. Shiiiit, most of my fav soul artists didnt even get an LP. It wasn't till the late 60s that you started to see the cohesive soul album. I guess it's a matter of taste, if you like hastily arranged versions of 'can't take my eyes off you' then by all means keep jammin!