NWA Movie

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    as far as music biopics go; i've always wanted to see a epic HBO miniseries about parliament funkadelic. start in the barbershop in jersey/the doowop days -- end with the rusting mothership in the woods somewhere...

• SIRUS said:
    The_Non said:
    parallax said:
    bassie said:
    parallax said:
    They were very influential in their time, but they're not the cultural icons they think they are.

Interesting.

To clarify (if it helps), they defined a movement within rap culture and spawned a generation of copycats (as you know).

I just don't think it's worthy of dramatizing on film.

I think it *would* be worth it if they weren't the ones writing it. I don't think Ice Cube or Dr Dre have the ability to be honest about themselves vs say, Malcolm X. I mean, not really including MC Ren? Will it discuss Jerry Heller? Eazy E running in the skreets? Cube going to college? Ehh.

SPOILERS 4 REALITY:

they address the cube college thing.

Ice Cube Celebrates the Eames from Julie on Vimeo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    as far as music biopics go; i've always wanted to see a epic HBO miniseries about parliament funkadelic. start in the barbershop in jersey/the doowop days -- end with the rusting mothership in the woods somewhere...

do your parents and local teenagers wanna see that?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "DAAAAAAAAMN THAT SHIT WAS DOPE!!!"

Thankfully 'Strut OG Big Chan gave it a glowing review after he caught a sneak preview or my stubborn, skeptical ass would've skipped it altogether.

Also, Arabian Prince is not in it, there's no swap meet scene, Cube's AZ college years aren't mentioned at all and Ren had quite a bit of screen time, as did D.O.C. (and his accident). Whoever said all that was either pretending to be in the loop or just happened to mention parts of the original script that were edited out.

Anyways, some of you will probably hate it on principle, but I really enjoyed it (twice!) and even nerded out over some minor details. Hoping to catch more when I watch it a third time.

Herm said:
    "DAAAAAAAAMN THAT SHIT WAS DOPE!!!"

Thankfully 'Strut OG Big Chan gave it a glowing review after he caught a sneak preview or my stubborn, skeptical ass would've skipped it altogether.

Also, Arabian Prince is not in it, there's no swap meet scene, Cube's AZ college years aren't mentioned at all and Ren had quite a bit of screen time, as did D.O.C. (and his accident). Whoever said all that was either pretending to be in the loop or just happened to mention parts of the original script that were edited out.

Anyways, some of you will probably hate it on principle, but I really enjoyed it (twice!) and even nerded out over some minor details. Hoping to catch more when I watch it a third time.

Is the World Class Wreckin Cru referenced?
    Cause in that clip w/ Dre and his Momma, she badgering him to get some paper.
    Dude already was on the radio and probably not living at home by the time he got up w/ Eazy.

Yes.

Watch the movie.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Herm said:

it was from a earlier draft. this thing, of course, went through multiple, multiple, rewrites.

Eazy and Steve step back over to his vending table. Eazy
    starts rifling through some of his records.
    EAZY
    What are you selling here?
    STEVE
    The local homegrown stuff is hot.
    L.A. Dream Team, Egyptian Lover, all
    the stuff they play on KDAY.
    EAZY
    Does Lonzo's stuff sell?
    STEVE
    The Wrecking Cru? Yeah, man, they
    got Dre. Dre's the shit.
    Eazy nods with a slight grin.
    EAZY
    Cool. I'll see you later, man.
    ETC.

Nice! I wouldn't've minded an extra 30-40 minutes to cover all those scenes you mentioned.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Shit was good. Saw it in a very small theater with people mostly my age. Half the crowd was singing along with the music.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Saw it in Oakland with a full house. Good times. I think it's as good as could be expected for a Hollywood bio pic.

Average

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    batmon said:
    Average

Marks out of 10?

J i m s t e r said:
    batmon said:
    Average

Marks out of 10?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Wouldn't Suge have known who Snoop was because of 213? I found it odd that he was like "who's this kid?"

jjfad027 said:
    Wouldn't Suge have known who Snoop was because of 213? I found it odd that he was like "who's this kid?"

Dre was still struggling after Turn Off The Lights? Didn't the Wreckin Cru have some success?

No musician ever had financial struggles while part of a "successful" group?

Herm said:

Im just questioning the "rags to riches" spin they used for Dre when his momma was complaining that he had no money.
    Dude was some strugglin teenager after Turn Off The Lights? You open up for New Edition and your momma is mad?

He was bound to Lonzo’s Kru-Cut Records contract and often found himself in debt to him for using his recording studio and bail money every time he was put behind bars in jail for unpaid fines on his car.
    Maybe this?

Even as a working local DJ and touring w/ the group im skeptical that dude was on some rock bottom shit.

I was always under the impression that Dre & Yella were older than the rest of the group and had some industry experience.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    pcmr said:

Living an apolitical life outside of the American system is in many cases the best decision (non-decision) any of us could possibly make surrounded by a wholly corrupt political system. To claim that NWA wasn't culturally revolutionary, just because their influence wasn't politically oriented, is some ninny-level weaksauce.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:

Im just questioning the "rags to riches" spin they used for Dre when his momma was complaining that he had no money.
    Dude was some strugglin teenager after Turn Off The Lights? You open up for New Edition and your momma is mad?

He was bound to Lonzo’s Kru-Cut Records contract and often found himself in debt to him for using his recording studio and bail money every time he was put behind bars in jail for unpaid fines on his car.
    Maybe this?

Even as a working local DJ and touring w/ the group im skeptical that dude was on some rock bottom shit.

I was always under the impression that Dre & Yella were older than the rest of the group and had some industry experience.

Have not seen the movie.
    Sounds like they left out the fact that Dre was already working in the music industry with some success.
    For most in the music industry opening for star acts and selling 10s of thousands of records does not =$.

LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:

Maybe this?

Have not seen the movie.
    Sounds like they left out the fact that Dre was already working in the music industry with some success.
    For most in the music industry opening for star acts and selling 10s of thousands of records does not =$.

They did show Dre workin' within the Wreckin Cru/Lonzo Club but it seemed contradictory to his moms acting like dude aint makin no money at all.

• Any mention of Stan the Guitar Man?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Any scenes of Dre making the Roadium mixes, even if not by name?

Can't wait to see this.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    countmacula said:
    Any mention of Stan the Guitar Man?
    Good catch. Can't ignore him and LA Dre.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    finally got to see this last night, I thought it was dope..

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I haven't watched it yet, but from what I have heard so far, it is not entirely truthful. It seems that they wanted Dre to look like a gangster who stood up to Suge and beat up blood gang members. That almost certainly didn't happen. Dre was not into the gang stuff, and when Death Row was flooded with gang members around 95/96, Dre would stay at home and rarely go the the studio. I also hear that there is a scene where Dre tells Suge to his face that he is leaving the label. That's also something I doubt. In reality, it seems that Dre ran off and almost had to hide himself. When Suge couldn't get his hands on Dre after he had ditched Death Row, he invited Sam Sneed for a meeting where Sam Sneed was beat up pretty badly because of his affiliation with Dre. Although he would have red and blue in his videos, everyone says that Dre wasn't about that lifestyle, and that this was part of the reason why he left Death Row. The fact that Dre never responded to any of Suge's insults also makes it hard to believe that Dre Stood up against Suge the way he supposedly does in the movie:

GamleOle said:
    I haven't watched it yet, but from what I have heard so far, it is not entirely truthful. It seems that they wanted Dre to look like a gangster who stood up to Suge and beat up blood gang members. That almost certainly didn't happen. Dre was not into the gang stuff, and when Death Row was flooded with gang members around 95/96, Dre would stay at home and rarely go the the studio. I also hear that there is a scene where Dre tells Suge to his face that he is leaving the label. That's also something I doubt. In reality, it seems that Dre ran off and almost had to hide himself. When Suge couldn't get his hands on Dre after he had ditched Death Row, he invited Sam Sneed for a meeting where Sam Sneed was beat up pretty badly because of his affiliation with Dre. Although he would have red and blue in his videos, everyone says that Dre wasn't about that lifestyle, and that this was part of the reason why he left Death Row. The fact that Dre never responded to any of Suge's insults also makes it hard to believe that Dre Stood up against Suge the way he supposedly does in the movie:

To be fair, Dre had no problem w/ the gangsta shit when Suge got him out of eazy & hellers contract.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    batmon said:
    GamleOle said:

To be fair, Dre had no problem w/ the gangsta shit when Suge got him out of eazy & hellers contract.

But Dre had nothing to do with that situation. That was something that Suge and his crew took care of. Everyone (even those who are cool with Dre and respect him, like Snoop or DJ Quik) has said that Dre didn't like to be around or part of the the gang stuff. In the early years of Death Row, people weren't generally allowed to bring their friends to the studio, but when that changed around 1995/1996, and Death Row was full of gang members, Dre would stay away and work at his own house. Back in the days, everyone was scared of Suge because he had such a big (and violent) crew to support him. I seriously doubt that Dre ever stood up to them. Just after Dre had left Death Row, he also tried to distance and disasscociate himself from gangster rap, but when he didn't have any succes with his new style, he went back to doing gangster rap and did 2001.

Kool Keith talking about Suge's reputation.