NWA Movie

HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
Really? Are the kids even looking for NWA these days? further capitalizing on Dre's cultural ubiquity?

Will this even be good?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/19/straight-outta-compton-what-can-fans-expect-nwa-movie

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    it won't be. i read a draft of this a year ago and i doubt that any rewrites will "save" this movie. it's pretty by the book for anybody who is into music.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    kids arent looking for this, but older heads would be, i never heard of this until now, i think i would watch...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How far does the story go? Do they stop right when Cube leaves.

And is the Arabian Prince in it?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Vanity project by some super rich dudes. They were very influential in their time, but they're not the cultural icons they think they are.

It will tank miserably, but those dudes are too rich to care.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    How far does the story go? Do they stop right when Cube leaves.

And is the Arabian Prince in it?

SPOILERS:

it ends with eazy's death. also arabian prince is in it. they have a scene at the swap meet etc. there are some details that are cool but the rest is by the numbers.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Will it be as good as the biggie movie? Will it have hoes with attitudes and jjfad? Will dre push a chick down a flight of stairs? Will it be 3D? I guess ill never find out because ill give this a miss, along with the red hot chili peppers movie and any other ill concieved and ckmpletely unnecessary biopics.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    parallax said:
    They were very influential in their time, but they're not the cultural icons they think they are.

Interesting.

bassie said:
    parallax said:
    They were very influential in their time, but they're not the cultural icons they think they are.

Interesting.

To clarify (if it helps), they defined a movement within rap culture and spawned a generation of copycats (as you know).

I just don't think it's worthy of dramatizing on film.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Even if the movie tanks IC and DD stand to make $$$.
    Say the movie only breaks even, they still score with music royalties and increased catalog sales.
    Typically when they say a movie loses money, they mean on the US theatrical run. Often overseas and video sales make a movie profitable.

There are 2 standard music bio plots.
    Born to adversity but never losing the dream of stardom, musical genius, against all odds, hits the big time then tragically dies.
    That's the Biggie story. (Also Buddy Holly, La Bamba, Doors...)

#2 Born to adversity but never losing the dream of stardom, musical genius, against all odds, hits the big time, then is laid low by addiction, then makes dramatic come back.
    Is there a rapper who fits this?

Dr. Dre influenced........

LaserWolf said:
    #2 Born to adversity but never losing the dream of stardom, musical genius, against all odds, hits the big time, then is laid low by addiction, then makes dramatic come back.

I cant think of any MC who hit in his teens/early 20s that had a career resurgence after dropping out due to drug addiction.

Jay-Z wasnt big time before he dropped off the map for minute after a short scrambling hiatus.

Then the musical genius moniker is shifty in Hip Hop. Lyrical genius........

Tupac probably comes closest to the "phoenix" arc.

Slick Rick disappeared but I would say he didnt come anywhere near close to his early run when he was free to record again.

And there are the dummies that were still reppin' Shyne post-prison.

LaserWolf said:
    Even if the movie tanks IC and DD stand to make $$$.
    Say the movie only breaks even, they still score with music royalties and increased catalog sales.
    Typically when they say a movie loses money, they mean on the US theatrical run. Often overseas and video sales make a movie profitable.

Breaking even in 1998, sure, but I can't see it in 2014.

That said, I've been wrong about lots of stuff this year. Just check my world cup picks in the shit tawk thread for a sample.

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

I cant think of any MC who hit in his teens/early 20s that had a career resurgence after dropping out due to drug addiction.

Jay-Z wasnt big time before he dropped off the map for minute after a short scrambling hiatus.

Then the musical genius moniker is shifty in Hip Hop. Lyrical genius........

Tupac probably comes closest to the "phoenix" arc.

Slick Rick disappeared but I would say he didnt come anywhere near close to his early run when he was free to record again.

And there are the dummies that were still reppin' Shyne post-prison.

And #3, Artist is overnight sensation and makes movie before morning comes and we all forget. (.50)

Well genius... I mean the artist doesn't have to be a genius, the movie just needs to make it seem like they were.
    I think a Slick Rick movie could work in a Hollywood way. Losing it all to addiction can be replace with jail, shady record companies, depression...

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

Better than any biopic (DJ Qualls appearance notwithstanding)

Plus, I thought they already made an NWA movie....

• Who will play Dee Barnes?
    Who will play the chick that gives Eazy AIDS?
    Will they get that same Suzuki Samaurai they posed in on NWA and The Posse record?
    Do they show the DOC car wreck?
    Do they explain Dr Dre wearing make up in the World Class Wrecking Cru?
    Will they discuss Tim Dog?

I'd rather see a CMW movie.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    parallax said:
    bassie said:
    parallax said:

Interesting.

To clarify (if it helps), they defined a movement within rap culture and spawned a generation of copycats (as you know).

I think it *would* be worth it if they weren't the ones writing it. I don't think Ice Cube or Dr Dre have the ability to be honest about themselves vs say, Malcolm X. I mean, not really including MC Ren? Will it discuss Jerry Heller? Eazy E running in the skreets? Cube going to college? Ehh.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    The_Non said:
    parallax said:
    bassie said:
    parallax said:

Interesting.

I think it *would* be worth it if they weren't the ones writing it. I don't think Ice Cube or Dr Dre have the ability to be honest about themselves vs say, Malcolm X. I mean, not really including MC Ren? Will it discuss Jerry Heller? Eazy E running in the skreets? Cube going to college? Ehh.

SPOILERS 4 REALITY:

they address the cube college thing.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:

I actually have ALWAYS loved, "Straight Outta Locash" & the Kool G Rap flip, "Sweat From My Balls".

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    Dawhud said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

I actually have ALWAYS loved, "Straight Outta Locash" & the Kool G Rap flip, "Sweat From My Balls".

Was a huge fan of that movie and the OST got a lot of play (the only time I've owned something by PM Dawn, I swear!) but haven't seen it since it came out. Has it aged well? Rock's talked about wanting to do a follow-up in the last couple of years, if I'm not mistaken...

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I still laugh my ass off watching that movie. It's funny how back then there was a whole movie about how fake rappers were busters and now all the rappers are fake and nobody gives a shit.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Dawhud said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

"Straight outta Locash, crazy motherfucker named Gusto
    I fucked your wife cuz the bitch is a big ho
    I fucked your sister, I fucked your cat
    I woulda fucked your mom, but the bitch is too fat"

Classic material.

The Wacky D shit cracked me up, too. "Did I mention before that I can dance?" was a go-to joke for me for a while.

• CB4- Early Charlie Murphy appearance.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts

HOLLAFAME said:
    Are the kids even looking for NWA these days?

I dont see how kids factor into a biopic.

Truman Capote, Ray, The Jersey Boys, Last King of Scotland, Selena, El Cantante, Julia Childs, Bob Dylan, and Cadillac Records.....etc.

"Kids" dont have to know an artist to enjoy a good story or just see a slice of their life.

Does one ask if kids care/looking for The Runaways?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Dawhud said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

"Straight outta Locash, crazy motherfucker named Gusto
    I fucked your wife cuz the bitch is a big ho
    I fucked your sister, I fucked your cat
    I woulda fucked your mom, but the bitch is too fat"

Classic material.

The Wacky D shit cracked me up, too. "Did I mention before that I can dance?" was a go-to joke for me for a while.
    Yeah, that was great stuff. I loved the name "Stab Master Arson" too.
    If I remember, "Fear of a Black Hat" came out shortly after, which was also pretty good.

batmon said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

Truman Capote, Ray, The Jersey Boys, Last King of Scotland, Selena, El Cantante, Julia Childs, Bob Dylan, and Cadillac Records.....etc.

"Kids" dont have to know an artist to enjoy a good story or just see a slice of their life.

I immediately discount the idea that my parents would go buy tickets to an NWA biopic (as opposed to any of the films you mentioned).

HOLLAFAME said:
    batmon said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

I immediately discount the idea that my parents would go buy tickets to an NWA biopic (as opposed to any of the films you mentioned).

They wanna see The Runaways?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Will it have hoes with attitudes and JJFAD?

It sure as hell better!

;-)