new york nowadaze

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
edited August 2015 in Strut Central




headed there later this week for the weekend with my wife. kids are gonzo at my parents.

what's populatin? where the tasty snacks at?

i know about bam/gilles/quantic doing summerstage - that's definitely happening. any other clubs/djs to czech?



we're hanging with some old friends who are commercial designers, but from out of town. we're probably going to check out the new whitney, but what other artiste shows are great right now?

probably won't have time for records, but will stop by places if i'm on shopping release. (but seriously, any good record shows or fleas happening?)

  Comments


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts


    Brooklyn Museum

  • BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon you vouch for that? was on the fence about going out all the way to brooklyn for it....

  • JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Hey Ketan, here is a link to a pretty decent thread of recommendations that Strutters have regarding NYC: http://www.soulstrut.com/forums/viewthread/75174/

    I doubt you'll get all the way to Flushing but if you do, White Bear has some of the best dumplings I've ever had in my life...super cheap too:



    Number 6 is soooo freakin good:



    Also...if you find yourself in Flushing, Hahm Ji Bach has really damn good korean BBQ:


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    batmon you vouch for that? was on the fence about going out all the way to brooklyn for it....

    All the way?

    New York = Houston to 59th street.

  • sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,133 Posts
    Which neighbourhood will you be in?

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    Staying in Chelsea.

    One of our friends is a shoe designer, so that sneaker exhibit might just work!

  • JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    batmon you vouch for that? was on the fence about going out all the way to brooklyn for it....

    All the way?

    New York = Houston to 59th street.

    I fucks with this particular brand of sarcasm :beerbang:

    Folks fortunate enough to live in it shouldn't take it for granite. Embrace them boroughs...

  • sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,133 Posts
    ketan said:
    Staying in Chelsea.

    One of our friends is a shoe designer, so that sneaker exhibit might just work!

    Definitely worth it. Also, if you have time for record hunting, check out Human Head in Bushwick. My favourite store in BK.

  • LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    stoked to be checking out Ray Lugo & the Boogaloo Destroyers with Joe Bataan Pete Rodriquez and Richie Ray tomorrow at Lincoln Center Out of Doors show. Saun and Starr are also playing that same night at the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center. Both will be killer I just wish they weren't at the same time!

    http://lcoutofdoors.org/events/we-like-it-like-that-a-boogaloo-celebration-joe-bataan-ray-lugo-and-the-boogaloo-destroyers-with-special-guest-richie-abakua-afro-latin-dance-company-dj-turmix

    http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/2015/saun-and-starr

  • jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Check this shit out --- I hate Times Sq and even I'm excited to see this schitt

    http://gothamist.com/2015/08/04/photos_osgemeos_brings_parallel_con.php#photo-1

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Hey Ketan, here is a link to a pretty decent thread of recommendations that Strutters have regarding NYC: http://www.soulstrut.com/forums/viewthread/75174/

    that thread is amazing - will definitely come in handy. thanks. so many laffs too...

    JectWon said:

    I doubt you'll get all the way to Flushing but if you do, White Bear has some of the best dumplings I've ever had in my life...super cheap too:



    Number 6 is soooo freakin good:



    wow - dumplings and other handmade noodles are a fav. so yeah, i might steer us toward Flushing! any great parks there?

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    Lewis said:
    stoked to be checking out Ray Lugo & the Boogaloo Destroyers with Joe Bataan Pete Rodriquez and Richie Ray tomorrow at Lincoln Center Out of Doors show. Saun and Starr are also playing that same night at the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center. Both will be killer I just wish they weren't at the same time!

    http://lcoutofdoors.org/events/we-like-it-like-that-a-boogaloo-celebration-joe-bataan-ray-lugo-and-the-boogaloo-destroyers-with-special-guest-richie-abakua-afro-latin-dance-company-dj-turmix

    http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/2015/saun-and-starr

    f*ck - i don't get in until friday, but i'll tell wifey about the boogaloo thing. would be amazing to see joe bataan.


  • ppadilhappadilha 2,107 Posts
    if you can't make it out to Flushing for chinese food there's a Xi'an Famous Foods on St Marks. The lamb burger is pretty good. And the "lamb face salad" is not a bad translation but in fact a rather literal description of the dish.

  • JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ketan said:

    so yeah, i might steer us toward Flushing! any great parks there?

    Flushing Medows is there. I've never been so I can't speak on how awesome it is. I assume it doesn't suck. Flushing isn't that far, despite how it might look. Last stop on the 7 train. You could probably string some fun shit together along the way.

    Also, I suggest using an app like 'hopstop' to navigate. It's only for iPhone but I'm sure there are equivalents for droid. HopStop was great when I was last in the city because there was a lot of construction on the subway lines....no big whoop because the app automatically rerouted trips accordingly. It's just a great app to show you the best route to whatever you want to go to and it also shows you travel times, etc.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    And the "lamb face salad" is not a bad translation but in fact a rather literal description of the dish.

    i was just discussing cabeza the other day and i am down, with the exception of tongue (too chewy) and brain (ew) - so only sorta down.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    Lewis said:
    stoked to be checking out Ray Lugo & the Boogaloo Destroyers with Joe Bataan Pete Rodriquez and Richie Ray tomorrow at Lincoln Center Out of Doors show. Saun and Starr are also playing that same night at the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center. Both will be killer I just wish they weren't at the same time!

    http://lcoutofdoors.org/events/we-like-it-like-that-a-boogaloo-celebration-joe-bataan-ray-lugo-and-the-boogaloo-destroyers-with-special-guest-richie-abakua-afro-latin-dance-company-dj-turmix

    http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/2015/saun-and-starr

    oh, i forgot that Caribou and Sinkane are also doing Summerstage tonight at East River Park at 7pm - i recommend and it's a free show...

    http://www.cityparksfoundation.org/event/summerstage-caribou/

  • JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ketan said:
    ppadilha said:
    And the "lamb face salad" is not a bad translation but in fact a rather literal description of the dish.

    i was just discussing cabeza the other day and i am down....

    Speaking of cabeza...Taqueria LES has bomb ass cabeza tacos.

  • ppadilhappadilha 2,107 Posts
    ketan said:
    ppadilha said:
    And the "lamb face salad" is not a bad translation but in fact a rather literal description of the dish.

    i was just discussing cabeza the other day and i am down, with the exception of tongue (too chewy) and brain (ew) - so only sorta down.

    I thought they meant the cheeks. It was the cheeks + other assorted face parts.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    ketan said:


    any other clubs/djs to czech?

    do any of u even party?

    bobbito, finesse and buckshot are in my hometown this weekend - who is left to hold down the older and younger rap folks?

    is there a good noise scene nowadaze? any living room shows to know about?

    thanks.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    ketan said:
    ketan said:


    any other clubs/djs to czech?


    do any of u even party?

    bobbito, finesse and buckshot are in my hometown this weekend - who is left to hold down the older and younger rap folks?

    is there a good noise scene nowadaze? any living room shows to know about?

    thanks.

    is cam'ron releasing a new cape in harlem? Let Me Know!

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How many events are going to attend? U really need an itinerary?

    Its like some I'm going to Nevada for some conferences type shit.

    Just have some drinks at a nice bar, walk around, look at some shit and cool out.
    Go to Central Park and watch the locals. Just roam and freestyle.



  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    batmon said:
    How many events are going to attend? U really need an itinerary?

    Its like some I'm going to Nevada for some conferences type shit.

    Just have some drinks at a nice bar, walk around, look at some shit and cool out.
    Go to Central Park and watch the locals. Just roam and freestyle.



    [strike]
    ew, i definitely don't want someone else to make our itinerary. (no offense.)

    yeah, i love that you can just go to nyc with no plans and end up having a pretty great day, but i generally like to go to a new spot with lots of ideas about what's great and happening and then go off on a few missions.

    plus - and i don't know if you have kids - we rarely get to do *anything* event-like/cultural with our two kids (going on almost 4 years now!). i went to see a matinee of mad max by myself on my birthday the other day and i was like: whoa - so this is what it's like. so we will be actively partaking in the city.[/strike]

    carpe diem, batmon

  • ppadilhappadilha 2,107 Posts
    ketan said:
    ketan said:


    any other clubs/djs to czech?

    do any of u even party?

    bobbito, finesse and buckshot are in my hometown this weekend - who is left to hold down the older and younger rap folks?

    is there a good noise scene nowadaze? any living room shows to know about?

    thanks.

    Todd P used to be the dude that organized most of the underground hipsteur shows in improvised spaces in neighborhoods like Bushwick and Red Hook. If that's the kind of thing you're itching for, you can check out the list of venues he used to book:
    http://toddpnyc.com/

    but really you're just going to pick a nice restaurant, head out to a nearby bar afterwards and pass out in a cab around 1am. The nice thing about New York is knowing there are other options available and never making any use of them.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    batmon said:
    How many events are going to attend? U really need an itinerary?

    Its like some I'm going to Nevada for some conferences type shit.

    Just have some drinks at a nice bar, walk around, look at some shit and cool out.
    Go to Central Park and watch the locals. Just roam and freestyle.



    [strike]
    ew, i definitely don't want someone else to make our itinerary. (no offense.)

    yeah, i love that you can just go to nyc with no plans and end up having a pretty great day, but i generally like to go to a new spot with lots of ideas about what's great and happening and then go off on a few missions.

    plus - and i don't know if you have kids - we rarely get to do *anything* event-like/cultural with our two kids (going on almost 4 years now!). i went to see a matinee of mad max by myself on my birthday the other day and i was like: whoa - so this is what it's like. so we will be actively partaking in the city.[/strike]

    carpe diem, batmon

    I guess you don't party then.........:beerbang::pasue:......;-)

  • I will also vouch for the sneaker exhibit at Brooklyn Museum. They also currently have a Basquiat exhibit of his sketchbooks, some installations by KAWZ, and an interesting one by a duo called FAILE.

    Their Egyptian collection is not to be fucked with either. 2nd largest in the country.

    Link to some pics I took last week of the sneaker show:

    https://plus.google.com/photos/105279703561102947850/albums/6177761072155803393

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If you're in Chelsea, this is my recommended spot for amazing bagels:

    http://bkbagel.com/

    The Chelsea location is 8th Ave between 24th and 25th.

    Check out Anthony Bourdain's old spot, Les Halles, on Park between 28th and 29th. Get the fries. I shit you not—duck fat and truffles make for possibly the best fries on the planet.

    http://leshalles.net/

    And you can't go wrong with 99 cent pizza at 1 a.m. for the authentic New York experience.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Oh, and you'll be staying right near the High Line. It's cool and worth checking out, but don't do it on a weekend. It's a traffic jam.

  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,873 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Oh, and you'll be staying right near the High Line. It's cool and worth checking out, but don't do it on a weekend. It's a traffic jam.

    One of my fav things to do in NYC. We go every time we're in the city.

    And if you're with your girl. Walk the line at night. I can't tell you how many times I've sent friends there telling them to only go at night and they always do it during the day on a weekend. The night gives it a wayyyy better atmosphere IMO.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,881 Posts
    ^^ thanks, but already gone and back. had a nice trip. largely freestyled, but ate well because of recommendations. got the authentic New York experience by getting ripped off on CL (counterfeit tickets to the jamie xx show - wooo!!). met JP and rapedonkeys at Good and bought some great tings.

    yeah, highline was super packed this time... last time (~2010) it was waaay quieter. but that's a good problem for a park, i guess!

    edit: the 9/11 memorial is really well done. shocking, eerie and beautiful at the same time.
Sign In or Register to comment.