the Lanny Gordin appreciation thread

ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
edited August 2015 in Strut Central
the man's guitar playing is like crack to my ears. Just to illustrate what he can do to a song:

Antonio Carlos & Jocafi sans Lanny

plaese to share your favorite Lannyfied tunes

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    He got off to a pretty good start with his first recording.

Bonus beat: I've talked to Suely on the phone a couple times, she's super cool.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    didn't realize that Suely & os Kantikus was his first recording. The one moogman recently hooked me up with that one in a trade, which is what set me off on a Lanny kick.

Not a bad bass player either.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Talked to a few people about him in Brasil and heard some fascinating stories about him. Sergio Dias told me that his father also was a Jazz guitarist, and he owned a nightclub in Sao Paulo called the Stardust. Apparently from a young age he excelled with complicated jazz guitar modes, and he even taught a few things to a young Sergio.

He was one of the first adopters of the fuzz pedal in Brasil. This is the record I found of his when I visited Rua Augusta. You can hear Eduardo yell, "Lanny!" for the fuzz parts. That same year you had him covering Hendrix with the Beatniks.

The album that really turned me onto his guitar playing was from the first Gal Costa album. Literally oozing with his wild guitar playing. You can see why he was chosen as the main guitar player for Caetano, Gal and Gilberto's debut eponymous albums.

You can also find him on my favorite Erasmo Carlos album.

According to my friend Juka in Sao Paulo Lanny suffers from a bit of schizophrenia, but he is still playing to this day. He's notorious there for drinking Groselha (gooseberry liquor) mixed with Cachaca (Sugar cane rum). He's a brilliant and versatile guitar player who has some very memorable lead licks, fantastic chord choices, and even his straightforward playing ability is totally inspiring. Absolutely one of the most impressive Brazilian session guitarists.

- spidey

Somebody recently produced a nice little documentary on Lanny. You guys want me to translate it?

- damo

deleted

SPlDEY said:
    I almost forgot he had a track reissued by Sixtoo. Do you guys remember the Obsession comp?

Sixtoo had nothing to do with that comp, but thanks for the shout.

b/w

I posted that track above.

Horseleech said:
    SPlDEY said:
    I almost forgot he had a track reissued by Sixtoo. Do you guys remember the Obsession comp?

Sixtoo had nothing to do with that comp, but thanks for the shout.

b/w

I posted that track above.

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

I had one more interesting story about Lanny Gordin. So, I've been hanging out with Sergio Dias recently. The topic of Rita Lee's solo album came up, and I thought it would be a controversial topic to discuss with him. However he was pretty open about the album. The music label was trying to come up with a trick to have Rita Lee leave the Os Mutantes. They told the band that they were putting together a musical starring Rita Lee called, "Build Up."

Arnaldo would co-write the soundtrack and it would feature the rest of Os Mutantes as the backing band. Sergio knew that something shady was going on, and he clearly didn't want Os Mutantes to split up as a group. So he didn't want to contribute to the album, and they replaced him with Lanny Gordin. He wasn't too happy about that of course, and when the album was released they dropped the whole idea of making it a musical and made it Rita Lee's Debut solo album.

A dirty trick indeed, but the album sounds fantastic. Despite it being a commercial failure. Listen to Tempo Nublado at 23:02.

- spidey