Good records that artists put out past their prime.

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited July 2015 in Strut Central
How about a list of records that you dig by a band or an artist past their prime. Hey they still got some gas left in the tank.
Here's one.

Some more please.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Starting with the blues lp brings many to mind.
    Muddy Waters:
    Electric Mud, Woodstock Album, Hard Again.

Almost every Miles Davis lp after Kinda Blue up to the 80s.

But with pop artist it gets a lot harder.
    Al Green Belle (I love that record.)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Neil Young, Tony Bennett, Marvin Gaye, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Q-Tip, Sade, etc.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Those Johnny Cash lps from the end of his life.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    PHryme w/Primo and Royce is excellent, probably my favorite album of the year.

DAngelo Black Messiah?

• it was one of the last things he did but i consider it career defining.

pickwick33 said:

Good to know.

P33: Hows that cd Howard Tate put out just before he died?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    it was one of the last things he did but i consider it career defining.

always a thousand times yes for that record.

This was actually an alright record

And WAYYY on the other side of things, this is a FANTASTIC RECORD. There are many more peaks and valleys in Jazz careers as opposed to rock and pop careers. Jazz is much more forgiving that way.

Laserwolf: I wasn't too impressed with that latter-day Howard Tate album. As far as the D'Angelo album (which is great, BTW), I never thought of him as being past his prime. He just took an extended break ala Donny Hathaway (who was making a lowkey comeback at the time of his death).

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Haven 't given it a listen ina minute but remember liking Bob Dylan's : Time out of Mind. Same with Tom Waits' Blood Money

Tom Waits is most always good or at least interesting.

Leonard Cohen recently mounted one of the most impressive come back tours of all time. If you have not seen footage from the tour jump on youtube. He was packing arenas with the young and old and putting on a great show. Also a song of his from 80s has become a standard in recent years.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I liked this one a lot when it came out in 1997

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Snapping said:

Very good call

• This one is not better than his 70s work but it's his best in years i'd say that
    Attached files

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I'm sure I'm given this hype on here before:

But I think hip hop examples are gonna be rare-ish and contested...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For 8th and 9th grade, I lived in Huntington Beach, CA. It was '84-'86 and TSOL was a big friggin' deal there. But it was all about Code Blue and Thoughts of Yesterday, with their original singer Jack Grisham still in the band. Nobody seemed to care much for the band's second incarnation with Joe Wood taking over singing duties. TSOL went from purer punk sensibilities, eventually delving into some seriously cheesy faux-metal, Doors-iness not much further down the line. And for whatever reasons, once I moved to Houston in '86, I would eventually come across a whole big group of surfer dudes at my school who loved the newer version of TSOL. While it was hard for me to bridge full-on punk rock TSOL with glammy Hit and Run TSOL, there was a happy medium there with TSOL's very first Joe Wood album, Change Today. The shit simply jams. Ron Emory was a beast with his almost-rockabilly, but wholly punk guitar. And damned if on his first outing if Joe Wood didn't shine as well. It's literally embarrassing to admit liking any Joe Wood TSOL within hard core TSOL circles, but I'll stand by Change Today until the cows come home.