Kip

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
edited July 2015 in Strut Central
How much do Strutteurs kip? Me, 6 ish hours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11765723/Sleep-deprivation-as-bad-as-smoking.html

I am up at half five most mornings so try and get my noggin on the pillow for 11 bells, sometimes 11:15.

I am out :snaps fingers: like that.

I did try and squeeze an extra hour awake, but I found I was nodding off at work and sometimes, fleetingly, whilst driving 60 miles home. Which isn't a good thing.

Thatcher did 4 hours. She was mad as a wasp though.

But it's also bad to get too much kip. Although I wonder at what point in my life this has ever been, or will be, an option.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I am out like that :: too

get up at 5.22, usually, asleep between 10.30 and the witching hour dependent on bar frolics, so between 5 and 7 hours.

Never sweat it though, your body makes sure you get what you need.

Plenty times stayed up through the night (no AYO, no substances) and pottered around with writing or planning or some other creative activity. Good for the psyche.

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    Usually 11:30-12:00 > 6:30 7ish.
    My daughter (3) is up at 7am like clockwork, and I am a stay at home dad so I need to be rested as well as poss. trying to balance that with music production and part time freelancing (design) makes for some weird hours and often racing brain before bed.
    I use a white noise app to help me un-focus and drown out my shitty tinnitus.

a few years ago I had pretty bad insomnia, so I kinda trained myself to tune out and relax.
    I can pretty much go to sleep anywhere, anytime... much to my wifes disdain!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Completely sober sleep deprivation actually is kind of cute, compared to even a mild hangover. Like oh, that's all you coming with, brain? Usually get at least seven hours of sleep, as I'm also as they say 'with child,' but can function (with coffee) at ~four or, sometimes less, if forced to burn the candle at both ends.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm averaging 5 or 6 hours a day. Then once every few months I'll sleep for 12 hours to recharge my batteries.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Up at 5 or 5:30, depending on when little man gets up (it's been 5 lately with him wanted to get in bed with us. FUCK. THAT.) I try to crash out at 9:30-11, depending on how wiped I am and/or how buzzed I am. Toss in getting up in the night to sort the little homie, and I average around 5-7 hours. The lady stayed up until 2:45 in the morning cooking last night though and woke both myself and Lil Coop up, and I never dropped back off, so I'm working on about 4 hours right now. Word to the espresso machine at my work that I'm about to get busy with.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I range between 5 and 7, depending on whether I have to work at night. My kids are awesome sleepers, so even when I'm up until 2am, I can count on sleeping until 7 ish or later...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    At the risk of kicking a hornet's nest: I let my daughter sleep in our bed. Of course there are drawbacks, but she's adorable, and I would bet we oftentimes get at least an hour extra of sleep out of her - she picks up on our circadian #rhythms, and if she starts to stir but sees mommy and daddy still sleeping, she goes right back to sleep. It's not like she can check the clock to see what time it is, and if she's by her lonesome, she'll wake up and naturally want to find out what's the score.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    My youngest (5) was much worse for waking up at any given hour of the night and shoving in. After 30 mins of getting elbowed I usually took the sane option and got in his bed and left them to it. At least allowed me enough kip to function. MAKE SURE NEVER TO LOOK AT THE CLOCK, otherwise, y'know, it's like telling Han Solo the odds.

He's fine now, kips through like a log.

THANK F*CK.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    After 6 weeks of back to back to back colds, my son was sleeping in our bed every night. It took me a year and half to get the lady to commit with me to get him back in. A week and half in of alternating getting up with him, she gave up, and I spent the next two weeks doing it all myself.

YOU WILL SLEEP WITH THE FISHES BEFORE YOU SLEEP IN MY BED AGAIN, SON. REAL TALK.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Night owl. Never asleep before midnight. Normally drop off around 1:30am. I go through cycles of good sleep and bad sleep depending on how relaxed I am. When I'm in a bad patch I will wake around 4am, and try to function on 3 hours sleep. This might happen for a couple of nights in a row before my body says fuck it, and I'll go to bed early and re-set my sleep pattern.
    At the moment, as teaching work is winding-down for the summer, I'm going to sleep around 1 or 2am, wake around 8:30am, and either go straight back to sleep until 11:30am, or get up, make scrambled eggs, and then go back to bed and sleep until 11:30am or noon.

One thing I've learnt is that if I get really persistent insomnia, it's because I'm not happy with something in my life (bored with my job etc), and until I address it and make positive changes, I can drink a bottle of whisky and I won't go to sleep properly. I think 4 days without sleep was my record. Changed my job, slept like a baby.

• i'm kipping at around 4 a go lately. drunk for midnight, asleep by 3, awake for water at 5, touch foot at 7. repeat.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I used to be a very productive night owl from my late 20s to my early 40s. Midnight, 1AM, 2AM, no problem and then up again 5:30 (alarm) to 5:45 (out of bed). No matter how long I sleep I always turn over and snooze for another 10-15 minutes before getting up.
    BUT it has taken it's toll and my productivity (during the day) has been noticeably impacted by it. This has hit really hard in the last 1-2 years. Unfortunately, it's difficult to kick habits and change your routine....

The story Jimster posted at the beginning of the thread was THE subject yesterday in our house. My wife is a doctor with on calls and shift work and has suffered from this for decades.

PS: I notice how many comments here make reference to your kids curtailing the your sleep (or extending it by coming into your bed). I remember a thread we had 10 years ago with pictures of our offspring. I think it's long gone with one of Raj's old servers.... Would be fun to repeat ;-)

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I usually get 6-8hrs.

Sleep is important, and for years, I was having terrible sleep because my wife, despite being in shape, snores like a fucking chainsaw and I'm a light sleeper. The woman is also a fucking blanket thief!

But I'm guilty of sleep-time crimes, too.

I drove her insane because I'm a roller and a kicker. I've slapped, elbowed, kneed, even punched my wife in the head once while completely asleep because I sometimes twist with the swiftness and she often gets biffed as a result. Woman was not impressed and would wake me with the death stare and that fucking bedhead, which made it hard to supress laughter.

So I made the initially awkward decision of sleeping in the spare room almost 2 years ago. Been sleeping great since, and it probably saved our marriage and sanity.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I'm going to sleep around 1 or 2am, wake around 8:30am, and either go straight back to sleep until 11:30am, or get up, make scrambled eggs, and then go back to bed and sleep until 11:30am or noon.

Up at Noon.
    Eat lunch.
    Siesta.
    Eat dinner.
    Drink.
    Time for bed.

I need to get back to Barcelona.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    i'm kipping at around 4 a go lately. drunk for midnight, asleep by 3, awake for water at 5, touch foot at 7. repeat.

I feel knackered just reading that.

• FeldmanFeldman 50 Posts
    parallax said:
    I usually get 6-8hrs.

Sleep is important, and for years, I was having terrible sleep because my wife, despite being in shape, snores like a fucking chainsaw and I'm a light sleeper. The woman is also a fucking blanket thief!

But I'm guilty of sleep-time crimes, too.

I drove her insane because I'm a roller and a kicker. I've slapped, elbowed, kneed, even punched my wife in the head once while completely asleep because I sometimes twist with the swiftness and she often gets biffed as a result. Woman was not impressed and would wake me with the death stare and that fucking bedhead, which made it hard to supress laughter.

So I made the initially awkward decision of sleeping in the spare room almost 2 years ago. Been sleeping great since, and it probably saved our marriage and sanity.

You got the jimmy legs

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    tis true!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My sleep schedule is all fucked up. I'm a night owl so I very rarely get to bed before 1AM and usually it's more like 2AM. I wake up between 5-5:30 weekdays, but then I have a 2 hour commute during which I usually catch another 60-90 minutes of sleep which usually leaves me in pretty good shape for a full day of work and a trip to the gym. Sleep another 45 minutes or so on my commute home and then I'm up until the middle of night again. On the weekend I sleep in until 9 or so but my wife often works late and I stay up to make sure she gets home safe so I'm usually up until 3-4am Friday-Saturday.

I've had terrible sleep habits all my adult life and I've always been able to function without much sleep so I don't worry about it. I may be taking some years off my life but they're the diaper wearing dementia years anyway so eff it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My 5-day-a-week workout schedule has made my sleeping habits very consistent. I generally get 7-8 hours of sleep a night because I go to sleep at a very consistent time each night. I need the rest to get through the 1 hour workouts. Plus, owing to the vigorous workouts, I go to sleep quickly and deeply through the entire night.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak