True Detective

Comments

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Watched Cold in July a couple of nights ago. I loved it. Great music too.

• season two looks like a scenery chewing bad impression of the first. i'm already depressed.

losing cary fukanaga as DOP is the death rattle.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but every single person in that trailer was melanin-challenged! Where does this season take place, Argentina??

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    It's based in California

I'm not expecting it to be as good as the first season, but i'll hold off on calling it worthless based on a 2min teaser with no speaking parts.

• It wasn't the most exciting teaser trailer ever was it??

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ketan said:
    Where does this season take place, Argentina??

Please dude, they can't rock Bolo Ties nonironically in Argentina.

Apparently John Travolta wasn't available, so they had to settle for Colin Farrell.

discos_alma said:
    ketan said:
    Where does this season take place, Argentina??

Please dude, they can't rock Bolo Ties nonironically in Argentina.

Ha! You're right, it must be set in America... Vince Vaughn doesn't have *that much* range. But it also must be on some sci-fi ish to be all white folks...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't know, guys, I was pretty geeked about the trailer - seedy cops, settings that ranged from the down and dirty to the far reaches of wealth, the nods to Mann's diner scene in Heat, the dude at the end in the mask, brass knuckles? I'm always fascinated about the Expectations Game but for "True Detective," again, seems like it will a solid cop TV show with tons of L.A. noir allusions. I don't think I'll be disappointed but not necessarily setting it up to be China Town either.

Not sure if you were reading off my posts, but I'm totally psyched! I'm just weirded out that there's apprently only white people in the new season.

• mods: please lock this thread forever.

i want no discussion of season 2 to ever take place.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Lol. Anyone that thought it would be even close to season 1 was kidding themselves. Plus it's the first episode so you have to give it time to develop. It may not get better but we will see. I didn't think it was as bad as everyone is saying but it did have some eye roll moments. It feels like a Tarantino joint with the over the top style.

Haven't watched it yet. I might wait a few eps to dive in.

"t feels like a Tarantino joint with the over the top style."

The first one was really OTT too in terms of the writing... tho darker/less comedic material than Tarantino. But Woody and Wooderson excel at hamming it up.

The writing team is the only thing that stayed the same for Season 2, right? So I'd expect the acting and direction to feel different.

I won't spoil it since you haven't watched but you'll know what I'm talking about when you hear some of the lines and see a couple particular scenes. once again not saying it is terrintino but if you go with that over the top style it's a little more fun.

The biggest fault for me was trying to put too much into one episode. Woody and Mathew gave such high calibre acting your not going to get that again.

• It was better than I had expected once I had seen the cast a few months ago.

Theme music was fucking atrocious. The song being sung in the bar was way more suited.

I liked it but, again, my expectations were not in the stratosphere. Pizzolatto, IMHO, is somehow toeing the line between being way too pretentious and laying down the camp, like it's too serious but also a big joke. That's what I'm telling myself, at least. If anything, I'm watching it to live vicariously through Det. Velcorro and his generous pours of teh Blue Label.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I think there were too many characters introduced in one episode. The characters weren't introduced well or given much back story. Not enough time to do it well.. Also three story archs starting at once, nagl.. Start with one good one.. Who are you and why do I care was in my head much of the time. Took two tries to get through the episode.. errr

I'll give this season a shot cause I loved the first. Hopefully the mystery/ detective work is good and watchable. The characters/ acting/ dialog so far is weak..

Colin Farrel talking to step dad and son scene.. WEAK
    Rachel McAdams is hawt, that's something positive.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Beatsoup said:
    I think there were too many characters introduced in one episode. The characters weren't introduced well or given much back story. Not enough time to do it well.. Also three story archs starting at once, nagl.. Start with one good one.. Who are you and why do I care was in my head much of the time. Took two tries to get through the episode.. errr

my thoughts exactly. like waaayyyy too much thrown at the audience for one episode. I honestly had a hard time figuring out who is doing what and why...

I have a sneaky suspicion this is going to be on some M.Night Shamalamma Ding-Dong style....where first season/movie was good, and the remaining where just shells of the original....with dumber and dumber plot lines/twists.

hope next few episodes reel me back in...

If that is indeed the case, I cannot wait for Nic Pizzolatto's Lady in the Water!

• the three best things about true detecive season one were
    the acting
    the slow-burn nature of the story
    the director of photography

three notes on season two
    hilarious over acting
    extraneous details about character and story line coming hot and heavy
    amatuerish framing, pacing and overall camera usage.

jlee said:
    Beatsoup said:

my thoughts exactly. like waaayyyy too much thrown at the audience for one episode. I honestly had a hard time figuring out who is doing what and why...

I have a sneaky suspicion this is going to be on some M.Night Shamalamma Ding-Dong style....where first season/movie was good, and the remaining where just shells of the original....with dumber and dumber plot lines/twists.

hope next few episodes reel me back in...

It seemed like they just needed to cram everything in so they could have the scene at the end where they all stand in a circle and stare at each other. Heck that could have been the first scene and then spend 3 episodes telling each of their stories.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    well, that was a bit more interesting....

still up in the air how this season will pan out, but the second episode definitely felt more "real detectvity" if you will.

• jlee said:
    well, that was a bit more interesting....

still up in the air how this season will pan out, but the second episode definitely felt more "real detectvity" if you will.

as in, now there is the actual possibility of a story?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I was reading some stuff last night and that big ending was probably not what it seemed. The shocker is just a temporary one, as the previews for upcoming episodes show a continuance.
    I'm trying not to spoil.

I started liking it more last night. I feel like this season could be good. Maybe more of a typical TV show, but that can be good too.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I was reading some stuff last night and that big ending was probably not what it seemed. The shocker is just a temporary one, as the previews for upcoming episodes show a continuance.
    I'm trying not to spoil.

Lemme guess, dude had a vest or it was rounds of rock salt...I had a feeling that was going to be a fake situation. If it was a true murder (in that show) it would have been way bloodier.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Agreed ^^^^. This is also wisely playing off the John Snow insecurity from GoT.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    discos_alma said:
    Agreed ^^^^. This is also wisely playing off the John Snow insecurity from GoT.

Also, if dude lived....he 'bout to get raped on tape.

EDIT: I bet that's how he wakes up...all tied up in some crazy sex situation....maybe a goat head on him , or something.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Well, the upcoming preview shows him walking in a new scene. And some official says one of my guys got "shot" , which doesn't mean dead.

I would have been down for the full deal.

Yeah, no way he gone, girl - otherwise he'd be biggest first-act knockoff since, who, Drew Barrymore in Scream?

I actually didn't even see that scene, yet, after falling asleep maybe 30 minutes in.

Getting better already. The first episode was too busy. Hopefully it falls into the True Detectivly stride now.

• jesus christ.