Game Of Thrones

1235»

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    discos_alma said:

fixed

Maybe the guy is a good DJ? Sounds like he was doing this before GOT made him famous, so this isn't your usual case of celebrity DJing.

Since the episode 1-4 leak I've been avoiding all online discussion in case of spoilers... I'm up to episode 2, enjoying it very much.

Anyone got a safe DL for episode 2 ?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Shaimless plugg: My mate Bob has the packaging artwork gig

http://beautifuldeath.com/

More here

https://robertmball.wordpress.com/

So we're past the leaks, is it ok to talk about the show? Episode 8, epic epic fight with White Walkers.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The last episode was great. The previous 7, not so much so.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Okem said:
    The last episode was great. The previous 7, not so much so.

Agree most of this season has been inconsistent

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They've veered off fairly heavily from the source material this season and I think the show has suffered because of that. It's like the whole season has simply been laying the foundations for the big payoff of the last few episodes. Which should be great though. But it's kinda lost it's way a little imho. In the books Martin goes to huge lengths to give the characters concrete motivations for their actions, they're not just randomly doing stuff for the sake of plot advancement.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    My wife got me watching this and overall it's pretty good compared to a lot of TV. I agree it's all over the place. I can't be bothered to pay attention to every character and story line but I've watched the last episode a couple times just because the second Half is so good as far as fantasy action adventure goes.

Spoiler alert

And now we are back to the never ending story with child prostitution and child murder. I get they want to show how bad the Middle Ages were but it's still a fantasy show that shouldn't go overboard with that stuff.

Okem said:
    They've veered off fairly heavily from the source material this season and I think the show has suffered because of that. It's like the whole season has simply been laying the foundations for the big payoff of the last few episodes. Which should be great though. But it's kinda lost it's way a little imho. In the books Martin goes to huge lengths to give the characters concrete motivations for their actions, they're not just randomly doing stuff for the sake of plot advancement.

Mmmm, this explains a lot. Wondered why it felt unfocused compared to the previous season. I suppose it's time constraints/demands that have prevented them sticking closer to the books?

volumen said:
    Spoiler alert

And now we are back to the never ending story with child prostitution and child murder. I get they want to show how bad the Middle Ages were but it's still a fantasy show that shouldn't go overboard with that stuff.

Yeah, 'cos it isn't happening now. Right.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Okem said:

Mmmm, this explains a lot. Wondered why it felt unfocused compared to the previous season. I suppose it's time constraints/demands that have prevented them sticking closer to the books?
    It's an odd one because the first book came out back in 95/96 iirc and in a few short seasons the TV show has now caught up, and in some ways, over taken the books. The main plot taking place now is from the last of 7 books. If the next book doesn't come out before summer 2016, and there's a chance it might not considering how slow it's been in the past, then the show will well and truly overtake the books. People will be pissed (as the Americans say).

The books have way more detail, even more characters, etc. The show has taken a big knife and hacked away at the story until the barebones are left. Once you cut out this and skip over that, you soon end up with gaping wholes and end up having to tie ends together in as tidy a way as possible. Shot cuts like that are never going to as satisfying.

Some of the book's storylines needed to be cut for sure, it just would've bored TV viewers. I imagine a lot more was cut because of budgetary constraints, but unfortunately it will also have been because the inevitable pressure to dumb down everything. Gotta keep the casual viewer happy.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

Who in the hell is that Lannister gold knight guy that spooked Arya in the Bravos brothel from the last episode (S5-9)
    I don't recognize him, but he must be an important character.

Duderonomy said:

Okem said:

volumen said:
    Spoiler alert

Yeah, 'cos it isn't happening now. Right.

I knew someone would try to say that. Just cuz stuff happens doesn't mean a show needs to over do it with horrible stuff. SVU is the same thing. Just making money of exploiting misery and feeding into humanities perverse side.

djtopcat said:
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

Who in the hell is that Lannister gold knight guy that spooked Arya in the Bravos brothel from the last episode (S5-9)
    I don't recognize him, but he must be an important character.

Kind of. Hes basically a loser knight that just appears occasionally. The kind if characters that make it hard to keep up with the show. I think he fought with arya fencing coach when the take over happened in the first season and now arya wants revenge. I think.

It's really a shame that Martin is basically just winging it as he goes now. The books were much better than the tv show imo
    I understand about time constraints etc but there's a few things left out in the show that were great in the books. ie: Lady Stoneheart aka the vengeful ghost of Catelyn Stark.

Personally I think Martin got in way over his head, there's way too many loose ends to tie up all over the place now and he's running out of time. It works in the books, but there's just too many story lines and characters to keep up with in this tv series. Time for another mass character bloodletting :P

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Gold Cloak is indeed the guy who killed Arya's fencing coach and a person from her revenge list. He was Joffrey's thug knight, he was the one who abused Sansa at his King's command and was also seen testifying against Tyrion.

George does not write the TV show. He has written a couple of episodes, they are generally written by random writers under the direction of the show runners. He doesn't control the TV show's direction and has had to more recently distance himself from the show so he can concentrate on finishing the latest book.

• Okem said:
    The Gold Cloak is indeed the guy who killed Arya's fencing coach and a person from her revenge list. He was Joffrey's thug knight, he was the one who abused Sansa at his King's command and was also seen testifying against Tyrion.

Not a Gold Cloak, Ser Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard.
    This season took a while to warm up but it got good.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Okem said:

Not a Gold Cloak, Ser Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard.
    This season took a while to warm up but it got good.

Ah now I remember he was the thug knight who punched Sansa in the gut for Joffrey!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    boo at the ending. Felt like this was the worst season so far. Lots of wasted time on storylines that could have been covered in just 1-2 episodes. Perfect example was the Stark girl Sansa. She travels around with Little Finger, gets married off to abusive husband, can't escape and then does. Did that really need to be dragged out in so many episodes???

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I guess I would tend to agree ^^^^

Big takeaway was the episode Sansa was bent over the table on her wedding day. The masses really criticized the show creators heavily but what was surprising was how hard those two dudes pushed back. It all makes sense now, given the sheer volumes of sexual violence, nearly all of it against women, contained in the balance of the season. It is indeed still a great show, but some of the choices on how much time to focus on certain things are not so much puzzling as simply ill advised.

Biggest gripe for me was the several scenes they spent on Stannis' potential change of heart, in becoming a warmer, more sympathetic figure - and then he goes and sacrifices his daughter anyway. That's just bad writing, b!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    yeah the show runners fucked up this season without a doubt. If the amount of complaining on the internet is anything to go by, I'm guessing the DVD & BluRay sales will be well down for this season. I think most people will continue to watch because it's still a great show, but they seem to be doing their best to ruin a fantastic story. If the next book isn't out by summer 2016, I imagine hoards of viewers will give up on the show, leading to the internet exploding in true Snape Kills Dumbledore fashion and actual blood may be spilled.

Back to the show. Pretty much every big change they made this season was for the worse. The Sansa storyline was just ridiculous from the getgo. SO lazy. Dawn was just a big waste of time and really poorly written. None of the character's legends were in anyway lived up to. Stannis was meant to be the greatest military commander in the 7 kingdoms. Barristan Selmy was meant to the greatest fighter in the realm and the Unsullied worth ten men in battle, yet they're brushed aside by some small ragtag group. Littlefinger, one of the shrewdest characters going, who has spent his entire life lusting for Catelyn Stark, building an empire to prove he is good enough for someone like her, even killing the fucking King to get the next best thing going.. Only to then, for no reason what so ever, give her away to a known psychopath to get raped. dumb. Then throw in some superfluous love stories that simply waste time and bring nothing to the plot. Ratchet the cruelty and gore up to 11 cause that's what viewers have come to expect, right? Drop characters in and out of geographical locations and storylines without a thought for motivation or geography. Little finger goes from Winterfell to Kingslanding in a night for no real reason. Jamie and Bronn simply walk armed into the inner sanctum of the Dawnish royal gardens. The Northern snow is impassible but half my army has somehow run away and Davos can make it to the Wall with ease. Varys pops up in Meereen at the perfect moment to help his buddy. Get on a boat at Hardhome to sail south, but go to shore before the Wall and walk all the way back to Castle Black along the northern side of the Wall, with the White Walkers right there. Dumb, dumb and dumb.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Hey so for someone that wants to start reading where series 5 left off, which book is the most appropriate to pick up?

Years ago I read the first two but ground to a halt in the middle of the third as pretty much all the characters I was interested in suddenly weren't covered anymore.

That last episode was easily the best in the series. I love how Varys has set himself up with the same job he had in Kings Landing.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The show has pretty much caught up and in some places overtaken the books now. The last book ended in pretty much the same way as this season for most of the major characters, Stannis & Arya's storylines are more advanced in the show.

Book 3 is a little meandering, iirc apparently it comes from George writing too much material for the second (or maybe 3rd) book and ending up making it two books divided by characters. The next two books are much better, although the whole Dawn plot-line has always left me a little cold.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    The cgi during the dragon riding was piss poor. Looked like a video game

jjfad027 said:
    The cgi during the dragon riding was piss poor. Looked like a video game

Shark-jumpeth?
    Episode 8 was brilliant. Overall, feel the season was a big let-down after how good season 4 was. I miss Hound & Arya.

***SPOILERS**

No way in hell the writers are going to kill off their most popular character! Women will drop from the viewing demographic like flies if they don't bring him back in season 6. Lol

The question is how is Jon Snow coming back? Also I don't think Brienne killed Stannis. They would have emphasized it with gruesome detail.

Here are my theories how Jon will be brought back listed from most likely to least.

1) Melisandre uses her Lord of Light mumbo jumbo to resurrect him from the dead
    Why else did she return to Castle Black after Stannis' army was massacred? Maybe she realizes he is the savior of prophecy not Stannis.
    2) Jon wargs into his Direwolf Ghost as he's dying. The only problem with this scenario is the fact that doesn't the Direwolf have to be at least near him? Maybe I missed something but Ghost was up in the keep somewhere right? Also for him to be his Wolf character the rest of the series seems stupid.
    3)Jon is turned into a whitewalker by the whitewalker king (not sure of his name?)
    I'll be very disappointed if they go this route.
    Can't wait for S6! BRING IN LADY STONEHEART Benioff!!

New trailer for season 7 out. Not sure I want to watch in case of spoilers. They have a lot to pack into 7 episodes.