Game Of Thrones

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Walking Dead, otherwise known as "standing around arguing."

I can't stand that shit.

don't forget wall-to-wall 1:1 pep talks (i.e. "we're gonna make it...." "don't give up.....")

My girl is really into this show. All I see when I watch it is one endless argument, repeated ad nauseum, about who should be allowed to join their camp/group/mission, who should be allowed to leave their camp/group/mission, and under what circumstances. That's it. Repeated episode-in and episode-out with the occasional poorly-choreographed "fight" scene.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Walking Dead, otherwise known as "standing around arguing."

I can't stand that shit.

don't forget wall-to-wall 1:1 pep talks (i.e. "we're gonna make it...." "don't give up.....")

My girl is really into this show. All I see when I watch it is one endless argument, repeated ad nauseum, about who should be allowed to join their camp/group/mission, who should be allowed to leave their camp/group/mission, and under what circumstances. That's it. Repeated episode-in and episode-out with the occasional poorly-choreographed "fight" scene.

It's like Pinter or Beckett, man. With zombies thrown in.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i am by no means a fantasy guy, but GOT really exceededexpectations. i would say yestrdays episode was the strongest tv moment since stringer bell or omars death in the wire a few years back.

edit: forgot about breaking bad.. well anyway it was just a huge momet for me. well done hbo.
    oh and throwing around the word "gay" is super NAGL

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I didn't mind the conversations and they had some great zombie moments which is why I said it made a comeback. What you're complaining about was the downfall of Season 2, but not an issue for me in Season 3.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The best thing you can say about The Walking Dead is that its fans don't seem to demand too much - give 'em zombies and they're cool. If the terrible writing wasn't insulting enough, the fact that they have a show to talk about the show seals the deal. It's a great premise and there's some decent characters but the creators don't seem to want to do anything with them. I've been hoping since the god awful finale to the first season (even excusing the poor special effects in that CDC 'plosion) to have at least a little color dabbed in about, I don't know, how the outbreak started and what's happening in the rest of the world. I seem to remember a helicopter flying past at some point in this past season and then nothing was ever said about it again.

white_tea said:
    The best thing you can say about The Walking Dead is that its fans don't seem to demand too much - give 'em zombies and they're cool. If the terrible writing wasn't insulting enough, the fact that they have a show to talk about the show seals the deal. It's a great premise and there's some decent characters but the creators don't seem to want to do anything with them. I've been hoping since the god awful finale to the first season (even excusing the poor special effects in that CDC 'plosion) to have at least a little color dabbed in about, I don't know, how the outbreak started and what's happening in the rest of the world. I seem to remember a helicopter flying past at some point in this past season and then nothing was ever said about it again.

that chopper belonged to that little army contingent the colonel wiped out didnt it?

staxwax said:
    white_tea said:

that chopper belonged to that little army contingent the colonel wiped out didnt it?

Yes

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    staxwax said:

So, just to understand correctly. Make joke and post article on actors with different accents. Only to big up another show with actors from across the UK, Australia, etc with different accents?

Yeah the fictitious accents in Vikings are pretty weird too, some kind of faux scando-english vibe going on.

What's the complaint? Don't we all know that everything fantasy and historical is British!?!?!!! But really this is a sign of the Anglophiles that make a lot of these movies. Whether it's 300 or Lord of the Rings or that Rome series that was on HBO everyone from the ancient world whether made up or based upon history has an English accent on U.S. TV/movies.

as the man said:

Like most fantasy television shows, Game of Thrones is largely populated by English actors speaking with English accents. This is because Americans are still unconvinced that England is a real country, and associate English speech patterns with kings and magic and sorcery and frequent stabbings.

Its just that GOT takes it up a notch, grouping different fake and real accents together to have fake kingdoms corresponding with fake accents etc. its a little ott / grating.

I want a swords and sandals/sorcery show with Texan accents, god dammit!

And... a show where the zombies are the good guys....

BOOM

let it sink in.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Alien was a good movie. Predator was a halfway decent movie. But if you were still strapped in up to the point of Alien vs. Predator...yikes.

Just saying, I'm pretty sure we're just around the corner from...Sworded British accent vs. Zombie.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Predator was a dam near perfect movie if not the greatest Sci-Fi action movie ever made.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    staxwax said:

Like most fantasy television shows, Game of Thrones is largely populated by English actors speaking with English accents. This is because English actors can act

BOOM

let it sink in.

Fixed.

• when it comes to GoT all i can hear is my sister's voice in my head (she's a hardcore fan from jump):

"they ALL die joel. all of them".

[/spoilers]

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

i knew there was a reason i didn't like him.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    edith head said:

i knew

DOR said:

^^ this is hilarious ^^

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    one of the greatest things ever

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    one of the greatest things ever

i would love to watch that.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Best series so far?

• It seems some people have not liked this season so much, as there were too many characters, not enough action and the main characters were killed off.

I completely disagree. I loved this season. My favorite thing about this show is how thoughtfully it shows not the battles, but the talk and scheming leading up to them. And this season had a lot of scheming and character building going on.

Awesome show, can't believe we'll have to wait a year for a new season.

• double poast.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Yeah I thought it was a strong series, and the pacing was good, I'd say better than last. There was less filler, particularly where Danaerys' storyline is concerned.

Also I've heard a few people being down on the last episode, which was always going to be anti-climactic, but I thought it set things up nicely for the next series. I've had to start reading the books to cope with the loss.

Season 1 was great - sex imp stole every scene (the all Dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes line was c-c-c-cold, ice cold), season 2 had too much "Yes my Khaleesi" business and the shadow of Ned Stark's death hung over it like the Red Wedding will over season 4 (how can that be topped for shock value in season 4?). Each season slowly builds up a rapport with new characters, and then you're left wondering which ones are gonna kop it. One of my favourite things in season 3 has been the relationship between the young Stark girl and The Hound (he's become her Dire Wolf). She's an Oliver Twist kind of story, but with Dickens you kind of new Oliver would eventually be safe, but with Game Of Thrones I'm not so sure. 2 has been the weakest season, 1 got me hooked, 3 I think they really found their stride. Can't wait for 4. But I'm not sure I want to spoil things by reading the books.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There is A LOT in the books that understandably doesn't make it into the show, so they're well worth reading IMHO. If you start at the beginning and work your way up to the red wedding you won't spoil anything and that will take long enough to get through. Best not to hurry through them anyway, because you may have to wait till next spring for season 4, but the next book you'll be waiting a lot longer for.

There definitely seems to be a consensus that book three (the story we're half way though in the show) is the best so far. Books 4 & 5 tell the story of the same time period, but from separate character's perspectives. Book 4 is probably the least popular of the lot because new characters feature heavily and the more popular ones don't. I think the show is going to combined them to get around this, otherwise I think they would've lost a lot of casual viewers. So season 4 will be the rest of book 3. Seasons 5&6 will be books 4&5, so in three years they'll have caught up with the books. I don't know what happens then. Martin has taken about 5 years, respectively, to write the last 2 books, and that was before he stated writing for the show as well. So he might have the next one about ready to go when the show catches up. But what's touted as the final book, surely won't be ready for many years, a situation that the tv show won't be able to abide. There is also the fact the Martin is getting on years and would be 76 by the time he concludes his epic tale, at the rate he's working. He has apparently told the shows producers key plot elements, so should he not be able to finish writing the books they can finish the show, but he's also said he'd refuse to let anyone else write an ending for the show. There's going to be some kind of impass for sure.

The HBO throne has become iconic. And well it might. It???s a terrific design, and it has served the show very well???Everyone knows it. I love it. I have all those replicas right here, sitting on my shelves. And yet???it???s still not right. It???s not the Iron Throne I see when I???m working on The Winds of Winter. It???s not the Iron Throne I want my readers to see. The way the throne is described in the books.. HUGE, hulking, black and twisted, with the steep iron stairs in front, the high seat from which the king looks DOWN on everyone in the court???my throne is a hunched beast looming over the throne room, ugly and assymetric???

The HBO throne is none of those things. It???s big, yes, but not nearly as big as the one described in the novels. And for good reason. We have a huge throne room set in Belfast, but not nearly huge enough to hold the Iron Throne as I painted it. For that we???d need something much bigger, more like the interior of St. Paul???s Cathedral or Westminster Abbey, and no set has that much room. The Book Version of the Iron Throne would not even fit through the doors of the Paint Hall.

That???s the Iron Throne as painted by the amazing Marc Simonetti (and if you haven???t gotten his 2013 Ice & Fire calendar, better hurry, the year???s half over) for the upcoming concordance, THE WORLD OF ICE & FIRE. It???s a rough, not a final version, so what you see in the book will be more polished. But Marc has come closer here to capturing the Iron Throne as I picture it than any other artist to tackle it. From now on, THIS will be the reference I give to every other artist tackling a throne room scene. This Iron Throne is massive. Ugly. Assymetric. It???s a throne made by blacksmiths hammering together half-melted, broken, twisted swords, wrenched from the hands of dead men or yielded up by defeated foes???a symbol of conquest???it has the steps I describe, and the height. From on top, the king dominates the throne room. And there are thousands of swords in it, not just a few.

This Iron Throne is scary. And not at all a comfortable seat, just as Aegon intended.

Look on his works, ye mighty, and despair.

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/07/the-iron-throne-that-george-r-r-martin-envisioned-for-game-of-thrones-is-terrifying/#ixzz2c39qloWA

It's baaaaaaack... Arya & Hound :killin_it:

who left the dead girls at every mile marker on the road that the blonde chick is marching on with her army?