RIP BB King

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central
Man... I think there was a time where you thought this guy would live forever. I was never a fan, but I can appreciate this legacy.

RIP

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    He sure had a run... over 50 LP's. Dude was timeless.

RIP

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont own any of his records, but dude was on tv all the damn time when i was growing up.
    He was on countless variety shows, talk shows, award shows, music videos and guest appearances on sitcoms n shit.
    Never heard his music on the radio or on my family stereo but was instilled by others that dude is a legend.
    And every time dude popped up, folks still be like "Awwww Sheeeeiitt..........that's BBKing w/ Lucille!"

Rest

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    the formula got real boring imho (guitar solo, verse and chorus with zero guitar, guitar solo, rinse repeat) but the man had great vibrato. i remember seeing him wring tortured notes out of lucille as a kid and just be mesmerized..

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    RIP

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    the formula got real boring imho (guitar solo, verse and chorus with zero guitar, guitar solo, rinse repeat)

Can't you say that for most Blues?
    Yeah, never was a big fan. But I think I have an old record on Crown which I like.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Now I understand why there were so few posts to my appreciation thread.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the formula got real boring imho (guitar solo, verse and chorus with zero guitar, guitar solo, rinse repeat)

NO. HELL NO.

rock in peace, BB (and Laserwolf, I got your back on this one!)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I am saddened to see that Mr. B.B. King has passed. I join LaserWolf and Pickwick as big fans of his music. He brought blues music into mainstream consciousness and influenced countless artists who followed him. Rest in peace, Mr. King, your legacy is indeed secure.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

pickwick33 said:

NO. HELL NO.

Well it's pretty damn close

Some people just don't understand.

One thing BB often had was a band that raised and fell with his solos.

BallzDeep said:
    pickwick33 said:

NO. HELL NO.

Well it's pretty damn close

Well, you're on the outside looking in anyway. Blues isn't your thing, so you're obviously not the last word.

Damn.....now The Blues is passe?

SMH

What the?
    I like Blues a lot.
    Now, is it my "thing"?
    Uh, no?

Just saying, Blues is very formula.
    You really saying I'm alone in thinking this?

BallzDeep said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Yeah, never was a big fan. But I think I have an old record on Crown which I like.

You like blues a lot even though you think it is boring?

I like Beer alot but when i go out to drink I never order it.

I meant - can't you say the formula applies to most Blues, not just BB.
    Not necessarily all Blues is boring.
    But yeah, I love the classic Chicago stuff, the old Delta stuff.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I've always found his musical influence over other musicians kinda fascinating. They probably had no problem knowing they were a better guitar player than King. But they would never be BB King. And that was ok.

To me, his voice and soul have always been his main instrument. The guitar was just a vehicle to bring it to others. It's the combination of the whole package IMO.

And I have no issue with anyone who doesn't feel anything from it. Like a painting, it either hits you and you feel something, or you don't. There doesn't need to be an over analyses of it all.

BallzDeep said:
    What the?
    I like Blues a lot.
    Now, is it my "thing"?
    Uh, no?

Just saying, Blues is very formula.
    You really saying I'm alone in thinking this?

It's all in how you use it. You can sleepwalk through the old familiar twelve bars, or you can do it once more with feeling. To be frank, I've heard B.B. both ways, but his inspired moments far outweigh his off-days.

BallzDeep said:

Name a Genre that doesnt have a formula?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:

Musique concrete?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Always liked the other two blues King's better but BB's influence and legend is undeniable.

Whether it was his radio show in the early 50's in Memphis, owning his own record label in the mid-50's (Blues Boy Kingdom) to turning on an entire generation of hippies on to the blues, Blues Boy King was bigger than life.

To hear him tell the story of playing at the Fillmore for the first time is to understand a sea change in American music and America itself.

R.I.P.

He is also one of the FEW black bluesmen from his era, apart from Albert King, that held on to his black fan base and his new white crowd simultaneously. Muddy and the Wolf were basically white attractions after, say, the mid-sixties. Bobby Bland and Little Milton, on the other hand, held on to their 'hood cred till they died. B.B. and Albert always did remain popular with both crowds.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    batmon said:

True.

"Genre" is another way of saying formula.

Reggae is all formula.
    House? untz untz untz...
    etc.

Anyway, as others have said, I don't own anything by BB King, but I respect the legacy.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Nobody loves me but my mother, sometimes I think she's jivin' too

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    RIP BB King

I poasted this in the appreciation thread (thanks Lazerwolf for IDing it for me BITD), and it's a constant that I go back to regularly:

• Two of BB's daughters are now claiming he was poisoned.