good tippers

Comments

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    I'm sorry, I'm obviously going to be in the real minority here, but I feel absolutely no obligation to tip. If the server has been decent then I'll be more than happy to tip well but if they have generally been a bit useless and no help I don't see why I should pay them money to have moved my food from one part of the room to another.

Hasn't helped in London where barmen expect a tip for everything from pouring me a beer to passing me a bowl of olives.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ironic given the old joke that "Tipping is not a city in China" but in China, there actually is no culture of tipping.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

and re: FRENCH people.... most europeans suck...

PAGING FISHMONGERDUDE

whereas Brits will often leave you assed out...

other good tippers:

dizzee rascal (he was with his manager and his manager tipped really well, so i count him, as they were together at the time...)

, much?

working class brits made well can be great tippers, but your average bloodless middle class brit is the service industry's nightmare...

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i lived in the uk for a few years and was told by native brits that you don't tip cash at bars and pubs and that the thing to do was to buy the pourer a drink. mind you, that was the east midlands and not london...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Famous people I've been tipped by...

None were cheap...but the last one...annoying.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Who is this?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hahaha...

Harry Goldenblatt from Sex and the City

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Piven, annoying? Quelle surprise.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Good Tipper:
    Gza

Ok Tippers:
    ?uestlove

Bad Tipper:
    Jim Jones

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    If I'm going to be at a club/bar for the night I always tip $20 on the first drink....it will be repaid to you over the course of the night and you'll get top notch service.

You know, I've heard conflicting reports on this method. A lot of dudes swear by it, but I've talked to some bar folks that say that it can be a source of anxiety, like, "Okay, twenty bucks right off the top--what's this guy gonna want? Is he gonna think he's 'in' now or something?" I think a lot of spots deal with enough big-tipping dickheads that this kind of flash can, at least initially, make them suspicious even of well-meaning dudes like yourself.

Myself, I just tip like forty to fifty percent on every drink, and make sure to drink a whole lot.

And I'd agree with what Hook_Up said: no fucking poor-mouthing. If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to go out to drink/eat, straight up. Either go someplace cheaper or stay the fuck home.

I have a question for the people, though: How do you tip for take-out? Do you tip at all? Similarly: When you're in a tip-driven spot like a cafe, but you're not buying anything that requires any preparation--just like some bottled water or some pre-wrapped something out of the cold case (not that I would ever go out like that myself, you understand)--what's the move? I chopped this up with the one JRoot some time back, but I don't think we reached a concensus.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I have a question for the people, though: How do you tip for take-out? Do you tip at all?

I usually throw a buck or two in the tip jar.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    elephant still chilling in the corner of this thread.

• ok, so you're at a NBA game or something waiting in a 20 minute line for a $10 beer.. tip?

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    get a big, flatpanel HDTV

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If I'm going to be at a club/bar for the night I always tip $20 on the first drink....it will be repaid to you over the course of the night and you'll get top notch service.

You know, I've heard conflicting reports on this method. A lot of dudes swear by it, but I've talked to some bar folks that say that it can be a source of anxiety, like, "Okay, twenty bucks right off the top--what's this guy gonna want? Is he gonna think he's 'in' now or something?" I think a lot of spots deal with enough big-tipping dickheads that this kind of flash can, at least initially, make them suspicious even of well-meaning dudes like yourself.

I've been on both sides of the bar, and yeah, there are some big tipping dickheads. But if you tip up front, don't act like you own the place or the bartender is indebted to you, and then leave a decent tip at the end of the night, it pays off.

Especially if it's a place you are going to frequent.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    ok, so you're at a NBA game or something waiting in a 20 minute line for a $10 beer.. tip?

HAIL NO

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have a question for the people, though: How do you tip for take-out? Do you tip at all? Similarly: When you're in a tip-driven spot like a cafe, but you're not buying anything that requires any preparation--just like some bottled water or some pre-wrapped something out of the cold case (not that I would ever go out like that myself, you understand)--what's the move? I chopped this up with the one JRoot some time back, but I don't think we reached a concensus.

Yeah, as much as I consider myself a good tipper in a sit-down restaurant and/or
    bar situation, there are certain places where tipping seems to be expected these
    days that I just don't get ... and generally don't tip. I mean, the pizza spot
    where I get a slice for takeout, the coffee shop where I get poured a cup of
    drip coffee ... the tip jars on the counters of these spots confuse me. Don't
    get me wrong, I'll usually toss the coins in there from my purchase, or maybe a
    buck if the people were helpful and/or friendly, but I'm not tipping no 25% on
    a cup of Starbucks coffee ... and don't even get me started on the tip jars on
    the counters of corner stores/bodegas ... I'm tipping you for WHAT, again??

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    doesn't hurt to ask, right?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Yeah, as much as I consider myself a good tipper in a sit-down restaurant and/or
    bar situation, there are certain places where tipping seems to be expected these
    days that I just don't get ... and generally don't tip. I mean, the pizza spot
    where I get a slice for takeout, the coffee shop where I get poured a cup of
    drip coffee ... the tip jars on the counters of these spots confuse me. Don't
    get me wrong, I'll usually toss the coins in there from my purchase, or maybe a
    buck if the people were helpful and/or friendly, but I'm not tipping no 25% on
    a cup of Starbucks coffee ... and don't even get me started on the tip jars on
    the counters of corner stores/bodegas ... I'm tipping you for WHAT, again??

I think a lot of these situations are "what the fugg, maybe someone will put some money in the jar"...I dont think the employees expect you to tip in these situations...when I was working the door at this club here in town, I would put out a tip bucket for the hell of it...I didnt expect anyone to tip, but a ton of people would throw their change from paying the cover charge in there...wasnt odd to make an extra $20-$25 a night just by putting it out there.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

^^
    Famous person I've made breakfast for.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

^^

Famous person I've made breakfast for.

So, it was that good of a date, huh?

Jokes aside...did you work in a kitchen? Or do you?

did (formerly kitchenknight on here... gareth = king arthur's kitchen knight)

Worked as an artisan baker (and occasional line cook, when I needed a few months to act like a drunk and not wake up at 4am). Best job I'll ever have, though I had to get out... It was either commit or quit, and I quit.

I tip well. I agree with everyone here that everyone should be forced to work in a kitchen. My kids will be forced into this.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    did (formerly kitchenknight on here... gareth = king arthur's kitchen knight)

Worked as an artisan baker (and occasional line cook, when I needed a few months to act like a drunk and not wake up at 4am). Best job I'll ever have, though I had to get out... It was either commit or quit, and I quit.

I tip well. I agree with everyone here that everyone should be forced to work in a kitchen. My kids will be forced into this.

Awesome. I've been out of the Soulstrut loop since I've been in school. I'm learning that I love the baking side...actually both sides.

It is a disgrace how people treat servers as well...I've dealt with it many times and have fantasies of what I would do--but never do it.

Let me say this. it does cut both ways... The last bakery I worked in, the customers and servers seemed to be in a battle to the death over who could be the most gigantic asshole. Our customers were terrible, but damn... the service did NOTHING to help the situation.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    In Holland the service can get really bad. Long waits, arrogant personell, crap food etc etc.
    I usually deduct money from the bill.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    james said:

Big Chan and I were just having a similar conversation last night. I would say I tip very well and don't mind excessivly tipping when the service calls for it. I will usually tip a couple bucks on to-go orders only if A) they went out of their way to provide me with extra sauce, napkins, even an insightful conversation or B) I'm a regular. If it's a spot I probably won't be going back to and the service was next to nonexistent, no tip.

The other day I ordered a $8 burger & fries 'to-go' [no tip] from a spot I'll probably never go back to and the cashier lady (owner I'm assuming) basically told me she was doing [em]me[/em] a favor by [em]not[/em] charging a tip to my order. As if that's even legal?

:oof:

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    For sit down meal service:
    0% if it's bad
    20% if it's decent
    25% if it's good
    33% if it's memorable

For takeout:
    0% if I'm not a regular and don't plan to be
    10% if I'm a reg

For delivery:
    20% always
    25% if weather is shitty

• same rules apply on bills >$300 ???

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    How does everybody feel about tip jars on the side of registers at pizza joints?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    RAJ said:
    How does everybody feel about tip jars on the side of registers at pizza joints?

I used to treat it the same as with coffee shops - if it was my regular spot I would tip sometimes, but no tip if it was a one-off visit. The coffee shop tip jar always confused me though because I would have a coffee shop next to whatever place I would be working that I would go to 2-3 times a day, so no way was I going to tip for every coffee I bought. Instead I would throw a few bucks in the jar every once in a while, but sometimes I would feel like I was the asshole regular that never tipped. But I always made sure to give a nice tip (around 30%) at my regular bars and restaurants. Here in Brazil there's just a straight up service charge at every restaurant (I think it's something like 8%), makes life much easier although I miss buy-backs at bars.