Star Wars

2

  Comments


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My SW buddy says that this cannot be just a good film, but has to be a great film out the gate.

    I think thats putting too much on a this franchise.

    Its gonna get ticket sales, but if its great out the gate, then 8 and 9 have to be just as great or better, and that is NOT going to happen.

    I like Star Trek 2 better than 1. And will check 3.

  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Muthafuckas were excited when the Prequels were about to drop, and look at what we got?
    I dont have faith in this anymore and doubt that they are going create 3 new bangers.

    I dont fuck with those animated features either.

    I might wait for the home releases. Im sick of gambling on this shit.

    I only watched the first prequel and that was enough for me to give up on the new ones. I suppose the fact that JJ Abrams is directing this one means it probably won't be shit, but I say this not really having watched anything JJ Abrams has done.

    I sure won't be there on opening night like I was in 1999. If a bunch of hard-ass critiques give it good reviews, then I'll go check it out.

    Revenge of the Sith was the last movie I saw for a midnight opening. Not only did it sour me on Star Wars but the entire concept of seeing a movie that late at night. Seeing Anakin roasting, volcano-side, like so many hot dogs on an open fire - before he's re-introduced as one of film's great villains - and the first words out of his mouth are the jilted-booty call "Padme!" Never again.

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,690 Posts
    white_tea said:
    waxjunky said:
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Muthafuckas were excited when the Prequels were about to drop, and look at what we got?
    I dont have faith in this anymore and doubt that they are going create 3 new bangers.

    I dont fuck with those animated features either.

    I might wait for the home releases. Im sick of gambling on this shit.

    I only watched the first prequel and that was enough for me to give up on the new ones. I suppose the fact that JJ Abrams is directing this one means it probably won't be shit, but I say this not really having watched anything JJ Abrams has done.

    I sure won't be there on opening night like I was in 1999. If a bunch of hard-ass critiques give it good reviews, then I'll go check it out.

    Revenge of the Sith was the last movie I saw for a midnight opening. Not only did it sour me on Star Wars but the entire concept of seeing a movie that late at night. Seeing Anakin roasting, volcano-side, like so many hot dogs on an open fire - before he's re-introduced as one of film's great villains - and the first words out of his mouth are the jilted-booty call "Padme!" Never again.

    I loved that part cuz by then I hated Hayden Christiansen so much, it was great to see him get bbq'd.
    The trailer tells me nothing. I like J.J. Abrams. It'll prolly be ok and revive the franchise, but I don't foresee it being great. Abrams has to start from scratch. And he created Lost. 2 strikes.

  • Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    white_tea said:
    waxjunky said:
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Muthafuckas were excited when the Prequels were about to drop, and look at what we got?
    I dont have faith in this anymore and doubt that they are going create 3 new bangers.

    I dont fuck with those animated features either.

    I might wait for the home releases. Im sick of gambling on this shit.

    I only watched the first prequel and that was enough for me to give up on the new ones. I suppose the fact that JJ Abrams is directing this one means it probably won't be shit, but I say this not really having watched anything JJ Abrams has done.

    I sure won't be there on opening night like I was in 1999. If a bunch of hard-ass critiques give it good reviews, then I'll go check it out.

    Revenge of the Sith was the last movie I saw for a midnight opening. Not only did it sour me on Star Wars but the entire concept of seeing a movie that late at night. Seeing Anakin roasting, volcano-side, like so many hot dogs on an open fire - before he's re-introduced as one of film's great villains - and the first words out of his mouth are the jilted-booty call "Padme!" Never again.
    It was the Frankenstein monster-style busting out of his restraints ("Nooooooooooooo!") that really sickened me. That chapter could have have been vastly improved by simply cutting out the last 5-10 minutes.

  • J i m s t e r said:
    Industry rule #4081:
    If you see a stormtrooper with no helmet, it's a good guy.

    Exactly.


  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Industry rule #4081:
    If you see a stormtrooper with no helmet, it's a good guy.

    This.

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,509 Posts
    http://imgur.com/a/uRMnN#LqlrmBZ





























































    Dat'swutahmtalkinbowt...

  • batmon said:
    My SW buddy says that this cannot be just a good film, but has to be a great film out the gate.

    I think thats putting too much on a this franchise.

    Its gonna get ticket sales, but if its great out the gate, then 8 and 9 have to be just as great or better, and that is NOT going to happen.

    I like Star Trek 2 better than 1. And will check 3.

    This.

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,797 Posts
    "http://imgur.com/a/uRMnN#LqlrmBZ"

    chewie's bionic arm!

  • DOR said:
    Watching dude has me a little more excited.


    Thanks for the video, that made my day. This guy epitomizes my relationship with Star Wars, pretty much exactly how I reacted. So funny and energizing, I love it.

  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,862 Posts
    OK. Fuckking awesome... I'm so hyped now.


  • staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    After the first SW7 trailer I had serious doubts. This one has me a little more excited. Still assuming it will be a let down but ill see it with the kids and feed off their excitement



  • BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Seeing Chewy and Solo was exciting.
    Cool to feel like this again!

  • mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Hmm, I dunno... I just don't know...

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,509 Posts
    mattB said:
    Hmm, I dunno... I just don't know...


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

    How many passes is this gonna get? Three mediocre prequels.
    And now they gotta bring back the original cast for the old fuckers to get all nostalgic.

    Imma check this shit, but the franchise has been squeezed the fuck out for a long minute.


  • billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,729 Posts
    Hopefully JJ Abrams can redeem the brand some.

  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    batmon said:

    Imma check this shit, but the franchise has been squeezed the fuck out for a long minute.


    You're either part of the problem or part of this solution, 'Mon. Vote with your dollars if you don't think it'll be up to snuff.

    Personally, I like the energy - looks like the franchise is in much better hands than its creator.

  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,862 Posts
    batmon said:

    How many passes is this gonna get? Three mediocre prequels.
    And now they gotta bring back the original cast for the old fuckers to get all nostalgic.

    Imma check this shit, but the franchise has been squeezed the fuck out for a long minute.


    I don't really get what you're saying (besides the point about the prequels, which I agree mostly sucked). But these 3 upcoming films were always originally planned sequel trilogy. George probably deep down realized he fucked up and decided never to make them and Disney stepped in and bought the whole thing.

    It's not like you never knew these films were gonna get made. It's been in the works in one form or another for over 30 years.

    And I'm pretty sure anyone coming back is going to have very small rolls. Except maybe the droids. But what do you want? Other actors playing their rolls? And It's not like the story is supposed to take place 500 years after Jedi.


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    batmon said:

    How many passes is this gonna get? Three mediocre prequels.
    And now they gotta bring back the original cast for the old fuckers to get all nostalgic.

    Imma check this shit, but the franchise has been squeezed the fuck out for a long minute.


    I don't really get what you're saying (besides the point about the prequels, which I agree mostly sucked). But these 3 upcoming films were always originally planned sequel trilogy. George probably deep down realized he fucked up and decided never to make them and Disney stepped in and bought the whole thing.

    It's not like you never knew these films were gonna get made. It's been in the works in one form or another for over 30 years.

    And I'm pretty sure anyone coming back is going to have very small rolls. Except maybe the droids. But what do you want? Other actors playing their rolls? And It's not like the story is supposed to take place 500 years after Jedi.


    Even if they were in the works for over 30 years, I just dont get even w/ a JJ Abrams rebooting that folks besides the blind fans, would think that SW is gonna be cool again.

    Would u call the Star Trek reboot "that's that shit" or good entertainment?

    My SW buddy says if this isnt a home run out the gate, we can be in trouble.

  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This may come as a surprise, but there's also a whole new generation of moviegoers who may very well experience Star Wars for the first time in the theater, and this film doesn't necessary have to appeal to the "blind fans" still hoping to rekindle their love for adventurous late-'70s cinema (those people are, grudgingly or not, going to see it anyway), but J.J. can simply make an exciting movie that's maybe just a little bit better than Transformers for it to be a major, major box-office and otherwise success. Guessing the Disney calculus is such that they'd really have to fuck it up to not see a massive return on the project.


  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,862 Posts
    batmon said:
    DOR said:
    batmon said:

    How many passes is this gonna get? Three mediocre prequels.
    And now they gotta bring back the original cast for the old fuckers to get all nostalgic.

    Imma check this shit, but the franchise has been squeezed the fuck out for a long minute.


    I don't really get what you're saying (besides the point about the prequels, which I agree mostly sucked). But these 3 upcoming films were always originally planned sequel trilogy. George probably deep down realized he fucked up and decided never to make them and Disney stepped in and bought the whole thing.

    It's not like you never knew these films were gonna get made. It's been in the works in one form or another for over 30 years.

    And I'm pretty sure anyone coming back is going to have very small rolls. Except maybe the droids. But what do you want? Other actors playing their rolls? And It's not like the story is supposed to take place 500 years after Jedi.


    Even if they were in the works for over 30 years, I just dont get even w/ a JJ Abrams rebooting that folks besides the blind fans, would think that SW is gonna be cool again.

    Would u call the Star Trek reboot "that's that shit" or good entertainment?

    My SW buddy says if this isnt a home run out the gate, we can be in trouble.


    It depends on how you look at it all.

    Regardless, these films are going to make boatloads of money. The "Three mediocre prequels" still made $2.5 billion in worldwide box office cash. With Disney's involvement I'm not going to cast doubt on how the films will play with the youth until I see it all play out and how well done the films actually are. But I will say this... I'm around tons of guys half my age on a university campus every day. Plenty of them are Star Wars nerds in their own right. Maybe no where near my geekness. But they're there. Probably brought up on it from their dads.

    In any case. I'm not really looking at this as a reboot like Abrams involvement with Star Trek. It's the progression of the greatest space opera story of all time being put on the big screen. And I really don't think it will disappoint like the prequels did. But we'll just all have to wait to see on that one.

    I look forward to your opinion once you see it.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    I look forward to your opinion once you see it.

    After Phantom came out did you think that was a major leap?
    And then after Clone & Sith, did were you blown away?

    I dont care how many tickets it sold or how many animated spinoffs there are.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    white_tea said:
    This may come as a surprise, but there's also a whole new generation of moviegoers who may very well experience Star Wars for the first time in the theater, and this film doesn't necessary have to appeal to the "blind fans" still hoping to rekindle their love for adventurous late-'70s cinema (those people are, grudgingly or not, going to see it anyway), but J.J. can simply make an exciting movie that's maybe just a little bit better than Transformers for it to be a major, major box-office and otherwise success. Guessing the Disney calculus is such that they'd really have to fuck it up to not see a massive return on the project.


    Im not talking about tickets sales.
    Amazing Spider-Man sold tickets and introduced Spider-Man to "a whole new generation of moviegoers". As did the Riami series.
    Whatever.
    Its cultural impact was non-existent.

    Im not trying to question your faith in SW........just saying Im crazy skeptical after the last stuff.

    And please dont bring up "Wu-Tang is for the children" stuff. Avatar was "for the children" too.



  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,509 Posts
    This guy does a great job pointing out the massive flaws in Phantom Menace:


  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    batmon said:
    white_tea said:
    This may come as a surprise, but there's also a whole new generation of moviegoers who may very well experience Star Wars for the first time in the theater, and this film doesn't necessary have to appeal to the "blind fans" still hoping to rekindle their love for adventurous late-'70s cinema (those people are, grudgingly or not, going to see it anyway), but J.J. can simply make an exciting movie that's maybe just a little bit better than Transformers for it to be a major, major box-office and otherwise success. Guessing the Disney calculus is such that they'd really have to fuck it up to not see a massive return on the project.


    Im not talking about tickets sales.
    Amazing Spider-Man sold tickets and introduced Spider-Man to "a whole new generation of moviegoers". As did the Riami series.
    Whatever.
    Its cultural impact was non-existent.

    Im not trying to question your faith in SW........just saying Im crazy skeptical after the last stuff.

    And please dont bring up "Wu-Tang is for the children" stuff. Avatar was "for the children" too.



    LOL - I'm not especially "faithful" about Star Wars, even if the trailer, coupled with the ownership change, the Clone Wars series, and even the newer animated series, has piqued my interest. I guess I misconstrued your comment about your buddy saying it needed to be a "home run right out of the gate" was a reference to financial, or box office, success. I can definitely appreciate a hope for a deeper holding in the capitol-C Culture, where a home run would indeed have a more lasting impact that whatever can win the box office for the weekend.

    Also, and I'm sure I'm more kind than some of the harsher critics, but the series of films needn't a total overhaul. Most of the major issues were with incidents of poor casting (Hayden Christensen) and bad dialog (primarily via Anakin Skywalker). Cast better actors, trim the cheese, and it's right there with the the best we can hope for in mainstream sci-fi.

    As far as the Spider-Man movies, I think you're selling those short. Say what you will about them as cinema, but the success Marvel had did open the doors to much of the Marvel and D.C. titles that followed. Raimi's first one grossed like three times what Singer's first X-Men movie did a few years earlier, and Raimi's was purposely a lot more fun.




  • I thought that the prequel 3 sucked arse as much as the next man, but that doesn't alter the fact of Star Wars being the shit. To fuck a film franchise is a possibility, but Lucas created a whole world when he made Star Wars and that has been added to ever since the first film came out in far more ways than just the prequel films. In the grand scheme of things, the prequel films were an excusable blip in the face of the immense amount of other Star Wars related releases over the years.

    If anyone doubts the ability to tell stories within the Star Wars universe which are thoroughly engaging across the board, look at Knights of The Old Republic and the Clone Wars and Rebels pair of animated series. Those 2 are effectively bookending the spectrum with KOTOR serving up something even the most hardened games nerd loved and the 2 cartoons giving kids the same age as my youngest 2 sons something that no amount of Marvel-related spin offs can give them.

  • mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    mattB said:
    Hmm, I dunno... I just don't know...

    Ha, I walked into that.

    But I think Im as jaded/bitter (since the prequals) as Batmon. Even that second trailer isnt doing it for me. And trailers usually suck me in and get me completely over-hyped all the time. The Harrison Ford snippet (at the very end, which is usually the part of the trailer where you go OMFG) just didnt feel right. Maybe Im still picturing him in the Crystal Skull? Oh and the new hilted lightsaber is L.A.M.E.

  • caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    At this stage i have more faith in JJ Abrams producing a decent movie than i would George Lucas.

    b/w Chewie hasn't aged?

  • cai said:
    At this stage i have more faith in JJ Abrams producing a decent movie than i would George Lucas.

    b/w Chewie hasn't aged?


    He made a string of exercise videos in the 80's. Always took care of himself.
Sign In or Register to comment.