Digging at Thrift Shops

2»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i got an arm full of wicked jazz a few weeks ago. the best part was this other collecter showed up right after me and was probably bummed out. i was smiling for the rest of the day.

charlie parker, sonny rollins, john handy, cannonball adderly...

it was a good dig. 14 records for $9. you cant go wrong. good digs.

Yep. One thrift store that was coming up with loads of stuff was the Salvation Army in Richland, Washington. I don't know who was dropping the records off, but it was a lot of soul and a few weeks before their close, some hip-hop. I had found a Bobby Byrd 45 on Smash ("I Ain't Got Nobody") and thought wow, this doesn't pop up every day.

But it's not about any of the stores around here, but some of the outlying areas. I don't know about anyone else in smaller cities/towns, but country music is king, as well as all of those Mantovani albums. But you go enough times, take chances, and there's always some good stuff.

When there is a bunch of jazz, I'm generally taking them all if I have enough with me.

• Its hard to come out with some rare jointz for me, but I always can pick up some funny ish.

I came out with doubles of "Automatic" by the Pointer Sisters last week . I got my dancers on lock with those jumpoff's..

whats good Rusty. dope to see you posting here mayne.

peas.

• Anybody coming up at Thrift Stores anymore?

Seems like 4-5 years ago I was coming the fuck up and now... I haven't had a decent thrift store find in maybe a year. I recently hit up 7 thrift shops in Virginia and found zilch. What gives?

When were you in VA and what part?

VA/DC/MD thrifts are few and far between pulls. You find way more round these parts if you expand your horizons and think of *ahem* other places.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    Everybody who owns old records thinking they're sitting on a gold mine
    that Seinfeld where Newman and Kramer are all keyed up about the old mans crappy record collection was on last night...

that old dude had cold chillin 12" sleeves in his collection.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    thrift shops = xian paradise

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Its hard to come out with some rare jointz for me, but I always can pick up some funny ish.

I came out with doubles of "Automatic" by the Pointer Sisters last week . I got my dancers on lock with those jumpoff's..

peas.

Shhhhh Delay will beat me if he knows Im posting on his junks.. ha ha

DS'ers are bumming me out these days, Gusto all the focus on BS and House is getting a lil

• Its hard to come out with some rare jointz for me, but I always can pick up some funny ish.

What's going on Rusty, this is Kevin from Northern VA aka that guy who came by to talk bout DC groups. Hit me back sometime man, we should talk some more. Have fun here on the strut

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Anybody coming up at Thrift Stores anymore?

Absolutely!

I'd say that at least a 1/4 of my favorite and most desirable raers come from thrift stores in the past two or three years. Everything from Wilson Simonal's "Pais Tropical" LP for $.50 to Marlena Shaw's "California Soul" 45 for $.25 to a white label UK pressing of Fela's "Upside Down" for $.80 to entire mid-90s hip-hop or early chicago house collections, to weird 60s/70s psyche, euro-disco, etc. etc. The list goes on.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    thrift shops = xian paradise

Especially St. Vincent de Paul.

peas.

Shhhhh Delay will beat me if he knows Im posting on his junks.. ha ha

DS'ers are bumming me out these days, Gusto all the focus on BS and House is getting a lil

damn, i can't even log into that jonks anymore.

• i visit st vincent du paul 4 times a week.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I actually just had a great find in Santa Barbara that I was actually gonna make a post about as soon as I upload the AUDIO. Its a recording of a comedy roast made at the Sportsmans Lodge in the San Fernando Valley for the comedy writing team, Wedlock and Snyder. Wedlock and Snyder were Jack Benny's primary writers and started with him in radio. They also wrote for Bobe Hope. (Of course, this record is a private thing, white cover, stamped title, and from what I can tell from the recording was only given out to the members who were there.) This is old Hollywood jewish humor at his best. A total stage night. Jack Benny even gives a pretty dirty roast. Anyway, look for this post coming soon. If you're into comedy, jewish comedy, the valley, hollywood history etc., this thing will blow your mind.

Why am I advertising a future post? Cause its that good, dont miss out!! $$$

• Well in Toronto things are shit. Plan and simple.
    Just imagine an entire country's collectors condensed into one city and that pretty much sums up this place.

Content/ Estate Sales and Personal Ads on the other hand have yielded great finds.
    Most recent: Jazz Soul Of Little Stevie .35 cents

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    A total stage night.

I just wrote this and I dont know what it means. Sorry to waste your time.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I come up at thrifts, but more often I get records to trade in to real record stores for credit, rather than for myself.
    I do always find a few things to keep, tho - just a couple of weeks ago I found a Cecil McBee "Mutima" and this awesome early 70's LP of Cuban folk songs of "revolution" that featured one track of a full-on Gil Scott Heron rip-off that was dope & had a cool poster, both at the Salvation Army. It seems I either find a bunch of still sealed so-so records, or a bunch of dope records that are too trashed to even invest fifty cent on.

It's all about yard sales for me. I just score and score and score and score at those bad boys...

• I come up on good stuff... not the obvious ones, but still some heat. I bring a lunch to work every day and go to the thrifts instead of eating out. There's 5 within a close enough proximity to work that I can get back in plenty of time. Even when I don't come up on anything, it's still better than work.

2 Greyship Daviz 12's in 6 months... nothing to complain about.

DJ Ferrari

I don't believe you. I think you're going to have to give the addresses of said Peninsula thrift stores so I can make double and triple sure every week that they have heat. STRICTLY FOR RAER VERIFICATION PURPOUSES ONLY!

the thrifts for me are okay. I mean I'm not pulling any heavy soul or jazz pieces. but it's good to me for oddball ezlistening,international, and kids records with samples. Nothing really heavy but good sample/break tape material.

If no records I just dig in the clothes section right afterwards

• I've all but given up on thrifts. Firstly cuz most of the ones around me have phased out records completely, or nearly so. (have one box there that hasn't been refreshed in 6 months) Secondly my time is short, so I don't have an extra 10 hours a week or gas $ to spend driving to and from places to get a single record or two (if that) I'm really into. I can't compete with the old record douds (aka ORDs) who can go every single day. It's cool for kicks, but I never get my hopes up.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I just hit up the Thrift Store in Virginia on Rt-50 and Glebe yesterday, which used too have mad records, and there was nothing. Its like someone is filtering out all good stuff. Sucka's

i've come up there in the past, but that was when i was working like two blocks away and checking pretty regularly on breaks, which seems to be the only way to do it these days. the other goodwill up the road is the worst. as are all the thrifts going out 50. but central nj thrifts make northern va thrifts look like christmas. it's sick out here.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I don't believe you. I think you're going to have to give the addresses of said Peninsula thrift stores so I can make double and triple sure every week that they have heat. STRICTLY FOR RAER VERIFICATION PURPOUSES ONLY!

No no records in the peninsula... south bay Not that it's a huge difference and all, but rest assured there is definitely not heat every week. I can still count on one hand all the real heat I've found since I moved down here 6 or so months ago and I go just about every day. There's plenty of random shit though that keeps it interesting. Lots and lots of disco and modern soul 12s if you're into that kind of ish. Stay in the city, it's more fun.

DJ Ferrari

• I don't believe you. I think you're going to have to give the addresses of said Peninsula thrift stores so I can make double and triple sure every week that they have heat. STRICTLY FOR RAER VERIFICATION PURPOUSES ONLY!

No no records in the peninsula... south bay Not that it's a huge difference and all, but rest assured there is definitely not heat every week. I can still count on one hand all the real heat I've found since I moved down here 6 or so months ago and I go just about every day. There's plenty of random shit though that keeps it interesting. Lots and lots of disco and modern soul 12s if you're into that kind of ish. Stay in the city, it's more fun.

DJ Ferrari

dude i live in san mateo. I guess I've found my "diggin nemesis". but yeah man I've found some decent 12's and whatnot. they seem to be from local dj dudes collection. I don't go past redwood city.

• In the past I have came up on mad raers but recently it's a bit well I haven't really been hitting them like I used to. I used to go all over in 2 days but now it's just not enough findings. Last find was this and it wasn't in that great condition not too bad though.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    but central nj thrifts make northern va thrifts look like christmas. it's sick out here.

i've gotten some decent stuff this summer here in mercer.. but you're right for the most part. they are pretty terrible.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I've all but given up on thrifts. Firstly cuz most of the ones around me have phased out records completely, or nearly so. (have one box there that hasn't been refreshed in 6 months) Secondly my time is short, so I don't have an extra 10 hours a week or gas $ to spend driving to and from places to get a single record or two (if that) I'm really into. I can't compete with the old record douds (aka ORDs) who can go every single day. It's cool for kicks, but I never get my hopes up.

I wholeheartedly agree.

when i'm on the road i stop and those off the road thrift shops. More for the fun of it than any expectations. But in New Orleans, the thrifts are hardly worth the time. Better luck picking up the phone and making some calls.

• I just hit up the Thrift Store in Virginia on Rt-50 and Glebe yesterday, which used too have mad records, and there was nothing. Its like someone is filtering out all good stuff. Sucka's

i've come up there in the past, but that was when i was working like two blocks away and checking pretty regularly on breaks, which seems to be the only way to do it these days. the other goodwill up the road is the worst. as are all the thrifts going out 50. but central nj thrifts make northern va thrifts look like christmas. it's sick out here.

Not much turns up there, least not often, cause one of the main sorting station guys there is a collector and sells anything semi interesting.

• definitely still hittin' up thrift stores all the time...it's always hit or miss but i really love digging in thrifts because it's such a level playing field.

two days ago i found my the one record that's been at the top of my want list for about 4 years now! actually my friend found it diggin' next to me and he let me have it...it's this really rare nyc 80s no-wave dubby club track by Silicon Soul called "who needs sleep tonight".

you'd think nyc-area thrifts are picked over...and they are...but shit pops up. the trick is going to the outter boroughs and also diggin' mid-day during the weeks when normal people are working.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Shit is still out there. I came up last Thursday with a grip of OG Bluenotes and about 40 late 80's to early 90's hiphop 12s for 19 cents a pop.

Don't give up!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts