What is the demand for sample-based hip hop now?

2»

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Samples. Still in demand.

Action Bronson is [strike]niche[/strike] white though.

Look at http://www.billboard.com/charts/r-b-hip-hop-songs

How many of those are [strike]sample based[/strike] white? [strike]Not many[/strike] None.

Fix-ed.

:-P

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Billboard?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Tangentially, Sam Cooke overcame awful production and occasionally poor material.
    Voice, soul, looks, charisma.

The truly great ones are the next nothing.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    batmon said:
    Billboard?

Yes, Billboard.

https://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1992/rap-song

EDIT: 1992 was a great fucking year. Look at that. I thought things would be good until 1997 or so, but damn, no. 1993 was good, but looks more like the dynamic was turning as early as 1994. https://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1994/rap-song I think that's when you start seeing more large chunks of the same songs/artists.

How many of those are [strike]sample based[/strike] white? [strike]Not many[/strike] None.

Fix-ed.

:-P

Yeah I wasn't really referring to backpack or throwback hip hop. Mainstream.

I can't agree with using Billbored as a gauge in '15

batmon said:
    I can't agree with using Billbored as a gauge in '15

Why not? It gauges mainstream, popular music. That's what I was referring to.

• Demand? Absolutely...samples still being on the biggest selling hip hop albums. 99% percent of the consumers have no idea what a sample is. They just know if they like it or not.

You can make a modest income as a sample based underground producer.

Will there ever be another dj shadow endtroducing? Probably not.

Peace,
    Stein...

• francois parker said:
    There is a small section of the hip hop community who favour sample based rap music, and there is product being produced for that section of the community. Mainly vinyl only stuff pressed in small qualities which is just fine as it keeps the music under the radar and even if it did get noticed by the sample police its unlikely they will bother about a 300 run vinyl pressing that hardly anyone is going to know exists.

I'm this guy^ I dropped a record last spring on wax with no barcode, no marketing or promo. We turned a profit, albeit a small one.. It was enough to make the next move.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I see what De La is doing the as the "next step"... sampling from hired guns and putting that music through the traditional hip hop sampling filter:

RAJ said:
    I see what De La is doing the as the "next step"... sampling from hired guns and putting that music through the traditional hip hop sampling filter:

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Have you seen or heard this Leon Bridges kid who's signed to Columbia? Really good voice, good-looking lad, the kind of act you could easily imagine being successful without a whole lot of effort. Yet everything about how he's being presented to the world screams, "WE'VE FOUND HIM, EVERYONE! THIS IS THE NEW SAM COOKE!" Seriously, Sam Cooke. You're really going to dump that kind of weight on a kid's shoulders without giving him the material to help carry the load? Man, that's all kinds of fucked-up. It's like when that Duffy lass came along a few years back - bottle-blonde British girl doing ersatz soul, and everywhere she got written about, some soft biff was saying "she's the new Dusty Springfield!" Was she fuck. You can pull it off just by looking the part for a while, but if you don't have sufficient material strong enough to make people forget they're not actually listening to Dusty Springfield or Sam Cooke (or Big L), then it strikes me you're pretty much on borrowed time.

^^^
    Just heard of this kid today --- lots of talent, but totally feel what you are saying here.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    There's *no* demand for sample based hip hop now because virtually nobody gives a shit if it's sample based or not.

Still demand for anything that's decent though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    just helped clear a sample for the highly anticipated Y0ung Th&g album coming out later this week and it's one of the best songs on there (though the sample source was pretty pedestrian).

make good shit, people will like it, the end

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Eric Vanderslice said:
    francois parker said:
    There is a small section of the hip hop community who favour sample based rap music, and there is product being produced for that section of the community. Mainly vinyl only stuff pressed in small qualities which is just fine as it keeps the music under the radar and even if it did get noticed by the sample police its unlikely they will bother about a 300 run vinyl pressing that hardly anyone is going to know exists.

I'm this guy^ I dropped a record last spring on wax with no barcode, no marketing or promo. We turned a profit, albeit a small one.. It was enough to make the next move.

Vanderslice! Love your videos, man. And (of course) I think your beats are ill. Been following ya' for a minute. Best of luck in your future moves. You definitely have a fan over here.

Sample heads should check him out. Plus some of his youtube vids are hilarious.
    https://soundcloud.com/vanderslicebeats