That's that shit I don' t like

2»

Comments

• Strange topic for a thread. Do you really want to be convinced of the merits of all the particular artists you don't like or is this just an exercise for you to affirm your strongly held opinions on rap minutiea?
    I'd rather try to sway your opinions on vegetables as you probably don't really GET the ill nuances of broccoli. You like brussel sprouts dawg?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    shawnald_reagan said:
    I'd rather try to sway your opinions on vegetables as you probably don't really GET the ill nuances of broccoli. You like brussel sprouts dawg?

I'm not trying to sound like a purist here but broccoli has been played out since the mid-90s. Not that the state of vegetables is all that exciting in the 2010s.

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    batmon said:

"Shit sounds like chicken...…"

I don't know what that phrase means, but I'm definitely bout to start using it heavy.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Appreciate the honesty but ban this cornball!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Also, D12???

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    staxwax said:
    naw I was joking. southern rap is just something I could never really get with on the whole. felt like they took those das efx crucial conflict gimmicks i never liked to begin with to another dimension. I remember bone thugs was a joke to me when they first came out. That whole style had me rolling. Its a thuggish ruggish bone still brings a smile to my face for that reason. bbq, jazz, funk, lemonade and porches, however, i fully support. And ive always been a big geto boys and (early) scarface fan.
    Seems weird that you make this comment about southern rap, and then mention three northern artists as examples of the style you don't like. I can't help agreeing with:
    HarveyCanal said:
    this is a post about you and not the actual music itself.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tech12z said:
    batmon said:

I don't know what that phrase means, but I'm definitely bout to start using it heavy.

Shit Sounds Like Chicken©

play on tastes like chicken

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm as big a jazz fan as there has ever been. Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong are perfection to me ears. But I really can't stand any of the mainstream shit that has come out since, including Duke Ellington, Charlie Christian, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Herbie Hancock, etc. If only jazz could just go back to strictly catering to my own sliver of a conception of it.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    shawnald_reagan said:

I'm not trying to sound like a purist here but broccoli has been played out since the mid-90s. Not that the state of vegetables is all that exciting in the 2010s.

Not big on broccoli - Im heavy into avocados though but the vegetable purists says its a fruit. Broccoli was invented by the family that spawned alfred e broccoli who produced all the old Bond movies - google that shit dawg

batmon said:
    tech12z said:
    batmon said:

Shit Sounds Like Chicken©

play on tastes like chicken

golden age boom b- ad classic!

Fred_Garvin said:
    Seems weird that you make this comment about southern rap, and then mention three northern artists as examples of the style you don't like. I can't help agreeing with:
    HarveyCanal said:
    this is a post about you and not the actual music itself.

How is it weird ? southern rap - the bastard devolved mutant child of shitty eastcoast and midwestern subcategories. cmon man. iron logic.

Ah i never said this post was about anything else but my own admission that im puzzled by my very consistent dislike of popular rap shit over the years. causing me to wonder.. is it me? not going on about 'the state of rap' yadda yadda - rap is just fine. plenty of stuff coming out every month that delights me.

Anyway - it probably IS just a case of aging, not partying in the right places, euroman backpacker fake purist with an ny/ec bias syndrome...
    BUT maybe I was secretly hoping for a massive outpouring of support
    'you're right staxwax! those artists are all shit - you were right all along! keep digging for diamonds! keep hope alive... etc etc

think i prefer rishans analysis - you cant expect to like it all - and, yes a large percentile of any genre of popular music will sound like shit to discerning/jaded ears anyway - soooo. Your YMCB cap disgusts me.

and now...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

HarveyCanal said:
    I'm as big a jazz fan as there has ever been. Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong are perfection to me ears. But I really can't stand any of the mainstream shit that has come out since, including Duke Ellington, Charlie Christian, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Herbie Hancock, etc. If only jazz could just go back to strictly catering to my own sliver of a conception of it.

Ha! Exactly!

I kinda wanna know when your cut-off point was w/ Southern Rap?

U enjoyed Mr. Scarface but didnt follow up w/ The World Is Yours?
    Liked Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik but hated ATLiens?
    Liked Goodie Mob first but dropped the second?

And did you shun Philly Rap in the 80's?

staxwax said:

southern rap - the bastard devolved mutant child of shitty eastcoast and midwestern subcategories. cmon man. iron logic.

See, this is exactly where you go from just a dude with particular taste in music to a dude who bathes in ignorance in order to dress up as an oft-turned knob.

'The Stanley Crouch of rap fans'

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I can always cling to liking cloud rap. So there

No im just winding you up harvey. Im sure there is lots of good southern rap shit i just dont get or know about.

The cut off point for me with scarface was probably his post the diary output. The rise of the pen and pixel stuff was another south thing i couldnt deal with. I remember checking out a master p record and just making an about face when i heard his making crack like this version of make em clap to this. The neptunes mystikal stuff was another point i stepped further away. Liked southernplayalisticcadillac music and hated atliens, goodie mob, they had a joint on the first record i liked, yeah. But im sure there are loads of gems i just dont know about or missed. That whole lil jon steez i cant fuxk with either, screaming on beats. Onyx is another group Ive always hated. Only philly rap i know is schoolly d which i like.

Worst thing for a lot of east coast heads was probably the rise of puffy and the whole jiggy era followed by ruff ryders, diplomats etc. etc. Couldnt even get with east coast rap anymore.

staxwax said:
    No im just winding you up harvey. Im sure there is lots of good southern rap shit i just dont get or know about.

That is good to know.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    staxwax said:

The cut off point for me with scarface was probably his post the diary output.

what's wrong with scarface post diary???

In all honesty those early face / geto boys records and that first outkast record just sounded like most of the west coast sound that was big then. The more they got into their own local bag, soundwise the less appeal it had to me I suppose.

This kind of recent stuff which I guess was influenced by a lot of music i couldnt get with at the time I really enjoy now - not sure if you could label this as south influenced.. more like... neo west coast?

How would you peg this?