When will Ghostface beat Action Bronson's ass?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
I don't know why the internets rides so hard for this Ghostface sound-alike. And why hasn't Ghost stepped up and dissed this dude yet? Ghost used to diss people on records for biting his style.

What am I missing here?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm specifically calling for violence.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I think if it was ever going to happen, it would have already.

I've disliked the last few projects of his, and the whole Vice Magazine marketing really annoys me so I try and avoid it. I had basically written Action off but must admit I'm enjoying his new album. None of the singles have grabbed me on their own, but listening to the album, it works. Best thing he's done since the Rare Chandeliers project with Alchemist IMO.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    First time i heard Bronson I thought it was Ghost !
    He was a breath of fresh air in the beginning. Jazzy samples, witty lyricism.
    But like so many rappers these days has suffered by putting out too much content. I don't have the time to go through all his mix tapes just to find the one or two songs that are great.
    He's still more interesting than ghost in 2015

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bronson is dope. Fall back.

• Reynaldo said:
    Bronson is dope. Fall back.

this.
    Action's voice vaguely resembles Ghost. Nothing about his delivery/lyrics is even close. Yall probably the same dudes who thought Droog was Nas. Oh btw, Action's output in the last 5 years is infinitely better than Ghost, who keeps phoning it in release after release.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    kicks79 said:

thats like beating someone in an internet argument, there is no real winner
    his shit is just short of lowest common denominator dumbed down shit, I'm not surprised he hot on the street right now with the vice crowd.

the_dL said:
    kicks79 said:

thats like beating someone in an internet argument, there is no real winner
    his shit is just short of lowest common denominator dumbed down shit, I'm not surprised he hot on the street right now with the vice crowd.

TRIPPIN'. I fusking hate Vice but Bronson is one of the funniest, cleverest and most self deprecating lyricists on the scene right about now. Not digging his flow, subject or persona is one thing, but dumbed down shit ? nah man

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

I ride for this.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

I ride for this.

Fantastic Harry Fraud beat but being sonned by RiffRaff on his own track is pretty much where I hold the guy esteem wise.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    staxwax said:

That freestyle is horrible though.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I really enjoy this episode of 'Fuck, that's Delicious':

Also dig this video (minus the singing...singing is eh'):

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

I ride for this.

First off is that Simon Rex in that video?

Secondly, I actually like Riff Raff in this song... still think he looks like a transgender Cameron Diaz.

:icegrill:

• Yeah that is Simon Rex aka Dirt Nasty..

Alchemist with the Posse On Broadway reimagining.

• Spot on with the Riff Raff/Diaz lookalike.

Bronson could be Ray Winstone's younger brother too.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I was not aware of Action Bronson until this thread.

He looks like someone who has eaten Tumblr.

That thought alone is, with a vice-like grip, preventing me from pressing play.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Fools are trippin in this thraed. AB has gotta be the most entertaining act in the game right now. Great taste in beats, clever rhymes, great flow. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ^^^^ That beat....

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I checked out Ghostface's latest album from the library a few weeks ago and it was terrible. Unfortunately for Ghostface, if it's a debate about who's penning the most compelling Ghostface-style rhyme in 2015, it's probably Bronsolino.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Suuuuch a dope beat, such a silly video :lol:

white_tea said:
    I checked out Ghostface's latest album from the library a few weeks ago and it was terrible. Unfortunately for Ghostface, if it's a debate about who's penning the most compelling Ghostface-style rhyme in 2015, it's probably Bronsolino.

Sleep is the cousin of death mayne - Ghost has recently dropped a trilogy of albums all with different live instrumentation outifts and they are all off the goddamn chain

as for AB - heres another Harry Fraud production - if you liked Bird on a Wire - this had me appreciating wiz khalifa for the first time ever

and if you arent feeling any of the below - you are in the wrong genre with teh raps

Dr Lecter is the closest thing to an all the way bonafide classic NY rap album weve had in the last decade

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I checked out Ghostface's latest album from the library a few weeks ago

I don't know why this tickles me so much.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    until dude drops a iron man or supreme clientele, then how is this even a conversation?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    until dude drops a iron man or supreme clientele, then how is this even a conversation?

ha ha. so, is dr lecter THAT good?

i don't think action bronson is a bad rapper... but it feels like he's always rapping about the same topics in the same way (that eau de ghost deini). he's almost a cartoon, whatever that even means.

like on that earl joint i posted in the rap thread, earl is way more immediate and interesting. i'm entertained by action but it's kinda throwaway.

EDIT: and i'm not even saying that his cadence sounds like ghost's is a bad thing. very few rappers have unique voices/flows.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    staxwax said:

and if you arent feeling any of the below - you are in the wrong genre with teh raps

i like these. i'm glad i'm in the right genre.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    staxwax said:

TRIPPIN'. I fusking hate Vice but Bronson is one of the funniest, cleverest and most self deprecating lyricists on the scene right about now. Not digging his flow, subject or persona is one thing, but dumbed down shit ? nah man

I wont pretend to be across his whole catalog, and after hearing the first couple of things I certainly haven't gone out of my way to check anything he has done, but this came on in the car on my way home this morning and I thought I'd give it a shot, I like the beat but I still cant hear what everyone else is hearing, maybe I'm just getting too old, but this sounds pretty generic/bottom of the barrel to me. Its possible its just not the sort of thing that appeals to me, I can pick up he has a sense of humor in his lyrics which I truly appreciate and I'd really like to have my opinion changed on him. I have heard his live shows are great, but thats from people that like his music so maybe I need to see him live to work it out?

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    staxwax said:

Dr Lecter is the closest thing to an all the way bonafide classic NY rap album weve had in the last decade

Dr. Lecter over Rare Chandeliers?!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Most of the tracks you dudes posted sound like Ghostface to me. Heavy heavy "influence".

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've checked every GhostFace album in the 2010s and they've all got the delete. Action Bronson on the other hand has had lots of staples that have stayed in regular rotation, Especially Blue Chips 1 & 2. I was really excited for the badbadnotgood ghostface collab and it just didn't work for me. The production was good but it didn't jive with with the raps and didn't seem cohesive. I think it was a positive move for badbadnotgood in terms of exposure, but not a good album overall. I still need to listen to it a couple more times.

Ghostface gets the gasface in the 2010s from me. Action Bronson is making moves, making me laugh, and making me nod my my head.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CBear said:

Ghostface gets the gasface in the 2010s from me.

12 Reasons to Die is somewhat of a masterpiece to me. It's not quite Supreme Clientele level as a full on RZA-produced, Wu Tang product. But the beats (and there are both the Adrian Younge and Apollo Brown version to choose from) are nice and the storytelling is impeccable.