When will Ghostface beat Action Bronson's ass?

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    CBear said:

Ghostface gets the gasface in the 2010s from me.

12 Reasons to Die is somewhat of a masterpiece to me. It's not quite Supreme Clientele level as a full on RZA-produced, Wu Tang product. But the beats (and there are both the Adrian Younge and Apollo Brown version to choose from) are nice and the storytelling is impeccable.

Totally agree. I also really dig parts of the Sour Soul album he did with the Badbadnotgood kids. Both Sour Soul and 12 Reasons have that live'ish hiphop feel (instruments, musicians, etc) that seems to go really well with Ghostface verses.

btw...if anyone REALLY wants to hate on a White dude who sounds much too much like Ghost, I suggest you direct your efforts towards Shawn Wigs:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    CBear said:

12 Reasons to Die is somewhat of a masterpiece to me. It's not quite Supreme Clientele level as a full on RZA-produced, Wu Tang product. But the beats (and there are both the Adrian Younge and Apollo Brown version to choose from) are nice and the storytelling is impeccable.

I liked the Verocai sample song, and that was about it. Overall, I feel the Ghostface albums on the whole were pretty weak. I should clarify, the production was top notch, but the raps weren't my style, personally.

I do agree that the comparison is very valid.

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    CBear said:

Overall, I feel the Ghostface albums on the whole were pretty weak. I should clarify, the production was top notch, but the raps weren't my style, personally.

I agree, and I'm a big fan of Ghost. His verses on the new BBNG were pretty disappointing (they feel like throw aways). Stuff like "(something something) list like Craig" and "bread so old it's growing mould" (I'm paraphrasing, but it's close) is exactly the opposite of everything that makes Ghostface so nasty.

That said, I'm not the biggest fan of the new Action Bronson LP either (I've only listened a couple times). Will he ever re-reach the peaks of Lecter/Chandeliers? I'm starting to have doubts!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CBear said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    CBear said:

I liked the Verocai sample song, and that was about it. Overall, I feel the Ghostface albums on the whole were pretty weak. I should clarify, the production was top notch, but the raps weren't my style, personally.

Fair enough, but I'm not seeing how Ghostface has necessarily changed up his style over time. To me, his rapping today is basically the same as it was in the 90's. I liked it then and still like it now.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Fair enough, but I'm not seeing how Ghostface has necessarily changed up his style over time. To me, his rapping today is basically the same as it was in the 90's. I liked it then and still like it now.

Maybe it's me that's grown, and I expected him to do the same. We may not always agree, but I always value your opinion and contribution to rap on this board.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CBear said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Maybe it's me that's grown, and I expected him to do the same. We may not always agree, but I always value your opinion and contribution to rap on this board.

Thank you. I sure don't expect everyone to see things the same way I do. And that's what opens things up for discussion.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I clicked on some of these vids to give him a second chance. I liked the music in most of them, but I can't get past him sounding like ghostface. It's a roadblock to me. The beats were great though.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    JectWon said:
    btw...if anyone REALLY wants to hate on a White dude who sounds much too much like Ghost, I suggest you direct your efforts towards Shawn Wigs:

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    G-Writah said:
    JectWon said:

For the last year, Every morning with breakfast he has watched his own video. After that he kisses his children and heads off to work. Or at least he pretends to. The truth is much darker.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    tech12z said:
    staxwax said:

Dr Lecter is the closest thing to an all the way bonafide classic NY rap album weve had in the last decade

Dr. Lecter over Rare Chandeliers?!

Yes Lecter is #1 imo. Id still cop a vinyl release of rare chandeliers if that ever materializes, if only for the cover.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

One of my favourites from Bronsolini.

It took me a while to get over the Ghostface similarities when I first started checking for him - when Bird on a Wire came out. I didn't really listen to him much until Blue Chips 1, and that may have been more so for the beats, admittedly. But Rare Chandeliers was a huge album to me. And now he sounds a lot different than Ghostface. (edit - at least to me... they sound different.)

I actually found myself thinking that Ghost was reminding me of Bronson on the new Sour Soul album... :O

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Aw man. Really don't wanna hate, but this shit totally sounds like someone completely adopted a style.

"The Symbol" that you posted even sounds like a RZA beat.

I mean i can totally see why this would be popular though. Beats are on point (a little more refined) and rhymes are 30% less testosterone. Which is not bad. But I just can't get over this dude's voice and cadence.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

white_tea said:

Hell hath no fury like a Wu member who feels disrespected. Action fucked up.

I love Ghost's song selection for this diss video too.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    YES!!!!!!!!

• [em]"So three days into the edit, I get a call that Ghost had had been kicked out of like eleven hotels, and I’m like, ‘Why were you kicked out?’ He’s like, ‘I don’t know man, I got fucked up, and I just start breaking shit. Can you come get me? I got no place to stay.’ So I let him stay at my house. Suddenly my phone rings, and it’s Steve Rifkind, ‘Whats going on?’ I go, ‘Nothing, I’m just bringing Ghost over my house ’cause he got kicked out of the hotel.’ Then there’s silence on the other end of the phone. I say, ‘Whats wrong?’ He goes, ‘I gotta call you back.’ Five days later, he calls me up and goes, ‘Are you okay? Oh my God, you scared the shit outta me, man. How can you let this guy stay at your house? I don’t even let these guys know where I live!’ I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.’ So a month goes by, and I would edit all day, and Ghost would just chill at my house until we finished. A month later, I’m with my girlfriend in the backyard, and the cat starts going fucking crazy and starts digging into the dirt. We dig up a bucket of fried chicken. Ghost buried a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the backyard. How fuckin’ freaky is that?"[/em]

-brett ratner (dir. of "triumph" video)

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Has to be the coldest-ever dis video that utilizes the term "grace period," no?

Definitely siding with Ghost here, although as I mentioned earlier in the thread, his latest album that I checked out from the library was none too good!

I liked Action Bronson's free tapes but the major-label debut sounded like he was forcin' a fart! Also, bigger-picture, nothing Action Bronson has ever done has approached the best of Ghostface's work, even if AB provided a funny, updated facsimile of the real deal. For someone who actually had his own show about food on Vice, he should know not to bite that hand that feeds you!

• an actually respectful and not even shook apology already issued by AB.

squashed.

Max Kellerman shit says it all, "Yo first time I heard, I was like 'Yo Ghost got some new stuff'"

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Is his apology just a tweet? Is that all takes to squash a beef.. Ghost was pretty heated.

I like AB because he sounds like ghost and has nice beats/ production. If I had to choose I'd go with Ghost all the way.. He's got a new release, haven't checked it out yet.

The real tragedy behind this is that it happened after Summer Jam 2015...could have had the first good Summer Jam drama in a decade+.

• from ABs perspective; imagine how hard it must be, as a man, to never get mentioned (almost ever) without the ghostface asterisk looming over you like the sword of damocles. id snap eventually too.

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    [em]"So three days into the edit, I get a call that Ghost had had been kicked out of like eleven hotels, and I’m like, ‘Why were you kicked out?’ He’s like, ‘I don’t know man, I got fucked up, and I just start breaking shit. Can you come get me? I got no place to stay.’ So I let him stay at my house. Suddenly my phone rings, and it’s Steve Rifkind, ‘Whats going on?’ I go, ‘Nothing, I’m just bringing Ghost over my house ’cause he got kicked out of the hotel.’ Then there’s silence on the other end of the phone. I say, ‘Whats wrong?’ He goes, ‘I gotta call you back.’ Five days later, he calls me up and goes, ‘Are you okay? Oh my God, you scared the shit outta me, man. How can you let this guy stay at your house? I don’t even let these guys know where I live!’ I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.’ So a month goes by, and I would edit all day, and Ghost would just chill at my house until we finished. A month later, I’m with my girlfriend in the backyard, and the cat starts going fucking crazy and starts digging into the dirt. We dig up a bucket of fried chicken. Ghost buried a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the backyard. How fuckin’ freaky is that?"[/em]

What's this excerpt from? Looks like something worth reading.

GFK > Bronson.

I fuck with Bronson until the Alchemist collabo album, thereafter he's a bit meh. The beats are good, but his rhymes are esoteric by the numbers - Food reference / it's me / improbable gymnastic manoeuvre into a vehicle / prostitute / it's me / weed reference / morbidly obese man having sex / it's me / Lamb cutlets / weed again / more hookers / esoteric pop culture reference / repeat

Ghost is having a late career renaissance. The 12 Reasons album, 36 Seasons, and Sour Soul are all unfuckwittable to me.

...his rhymes are esoteric by the numbers - Food reference / it's me / improbable gymnastic manoeuvre into a vehicle / prostitute / it's me / weed reference / morbidly obese man having sex / it's me / Lamb cutlets / weed again / more hookers / esoteric pop culture reference /

Fuckin hilarious.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    It's kinda weak to say something like that and then admit that you haven't listened to the new stuff!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My thread: vindicated like K
    In Canada!

to never get mentioned (almost ever) without the ghostface asterisk looming over

Shit happens when you bit somebody's style.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    [em]"So three days into the edit, I get a call that Ghost had had been kicked out of like eleven hotels, and I’m like, ‘Why were you kicked out?’ He’s like, ‘I don’t know man, I got fucked up, and I just start breaking shit. Can you come get me? I got no place to stay.’ So I let him stay at my house. Suddenly my phone rings, and it’s Steve Rifkind, ‘Whats going on?’ I go, ‘Nothing, I’m just bringing Ghost over my house ’cause he got kicked out of the hotel.’ Then there’s silence on the other end of the phone. I say, ‘Whats wrong?’ He goes, ‘I gotta call you back.’ Five days later, he calls me up and goes, ‘Are you okay? Oh my God, you scared the shit outta me, man. How can you let this guy stay at your house? I don’t even let these guys know where I live!’ I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.’ So a month goes by, and I would edit all day, and Ghost would just chill at my house until we finished. A month later, I’m with my girlfriend in the backyard, and the cat starts going fucking crazy and starts digging into the dirt. We dig up a bucket of fried chicken. Ghost buried a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the backyard. How fuckin’ freaky is that?"[/em]

I don't know where you got that vintageinfants, the original quote is here:

http://www.complex.com/music/2009/09/directors-commentary-brett-ratners-music-video-classics

and it doesn't include
    [em]I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.[/em]

How pathetic that someone somewhere decided to insert it. On some 12 year old schoolboy shit.