Finds

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Nice ones LD. I recently had the Klaus Schulz X, enjoyed more than a lot of his stuff. Underrated Blues Magoos. Did St Clair Pinkney produce that one?

Versalles Orchestra has a great cover of Ritchie's Lady. Cool record.

First one is the Falconaires with a great cover of GOOMLW.

I had no idea Johnnie Pate was recording jazz lps in the 50's. Dennis Moorman on India Navigation is solo piano. Nina Simone 2 record set on Trip. Trip was a great reissue label, subsidiary of Pickwick.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
     photo 20150305_204505_zpse4pr1ltb.jpg
     photo 20150305_204612_zpslyndxmlq.jpg

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    A few come-ups from a record fair in Fort Lauderdale that Blue Note Bob put on
    Attached files

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Nice ones LD. I recently had the Klaus Schulz X, enjoyed more than a lot of his stuff. Underrated Blues Magoos. Did St Clair Pinkney produce that one?

WRT the Schulze these two Lp's are really dope, agreed. Often I feel something is lost in translation with him, but these tow I can get into. The Blue Magoos is produced by Bob Wyld. Magoo: what a crazy name, my mom used to date a guy called Magoo.
    That Akilah you found has got to be one of the top green label Prestiges: I gotta pull it out and give it a spin this weekend. Def my fav Sparks LP.

What's the Annette Peacock like Yuichi? I need that Tjader, keep thinking it's just around the corner...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    What's the Annette Peacock like Yuichi? I need that Tjader, keep thinking it's just around the corner...

Honestly, I haven't listened to it in full yet. I bought it on the eccentricity of youtube clips that are up.

Update: Annette Peacock "X-Dreams" is on some spoken word-prog-fusion-blues ish. Really good stuff.

That Tjader's cool, but not worth the $20 or whatever it's going for now. I prefer his more mellow stuff.

• Been a really fruitful month in the field with work taking me to lots of different Australian cities for a dig. Highlights so far would be unearthing a (admittedly worn) copy of Renee Geyer's Australia-only 45 "Be there in the morning/Stares and whispers" ($3) plus the Moir Sisters' Lost Somewhere Beyond Harmony LP ($1) with the gorgeous "Good Morning How Are You" on there.

The following are among the LPs I copped today in Brisbane for a couple of bucks each. Mostly Australian stuff (the 45 is Renee Geyer's The Restless Years) save for the sealed Renee Galland LP. Save for one tiny mention on cdandlp.com, there's nothing out there about Sings For You. Anyone know anything about it?

Attached files

• PS the hotel I'm at has a slow connection so images taking a while to load, but it's nice to see so many people coming up with some scores!

• minimini 879 Posts
    Some highlights from last few weeks

• grebgreb 32 Posts

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    greb said:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

I've been enjoying the hell out of the Paul Humphrey this weekend. Nice to have the extended, bass heavy version of "Cheeba Cheeba" on that Harlem Underground with "Ain't No Sunshine". And in true Winley fashion, the cover is hand pasted over a 12" single hole jacket. Flight is an absorbing, Waxidermy-approved prog fusion pop one-off on Capitol.

• Some killer finds in this thread.

Havent went digging in a while and this week turned out pretty good. Incredible bongo band was 10$ and the rest around 4-5$. 12" are:

Demo-Barry - City Funk
    Nigel Martinez - Behind my back
    Projection - Lovestruc
    Exp Express - Express yourself
    Weeks & Co - Rock your world

haven't had that much time/money to really go looking for records lately, but these are some things I've picked up over the past several months:

Skowa & A Máfia - their 2nd LP, slightly hard to find. Slightly cheesy late 80s funk/boogie
    Golden Boys '75 - has some nice tracks and this classic jam

the two JB de Carvalho are well produced afro-brazilian religious records, the black cover one has some nice grooves. He added some melodic elements to this type of music, and was sort of the bridge between traditional religious music and what guys like Jorge Ben would record later in the 60s.
    The Ronnie Von is kind of disappointing, like pretty much all of his stuff.

finally found these early Caetano for cheap. They're not hard to find but they're usually pricey.
    Cátia França is northeastern mpb, I always like that stuff.
    Nana Caymmi is her traditional downer self except for the nice version of Cala a Boca Menino

The Paulo Diniz has arrangements by João Donato, it's pretty chill. Got it mostly to complete my collection of his 70s output.
    Same goes for the Gal Costa, although you can't really go wrong with her and this one has this classic.
    Lágrima Ríos was in a pile of Uruguayan tango records and I picked it up only because the songs were all labeled as candombe. It's a nice enough record:

Night Owl Record Show finds.
    Per usual I did not have much time to dig.
    Got a sealed Clash and sealed Neil Young Decade.
    Big stack of jazz 45s including Bob James Mardi Gras promo with out the bells.
    The best 45s I think are the Donald Byrds, Elvin Jones Midnight Walk has a great groove.

Ppadilah I always love seeing your finds.
    Saw a few very nice Brazilian records at the Night Owl, but prices are even higher here. Picked up Elis Regina Em Pleno Verao.

"Afro-brazilian religious records" I love that scene in Black Orpheus.
    Outside of Folkways and Nonsuch (that may have been from further North) I never see any.

LaserWolf said:
    "Afro-brazilian religious records" I love that scene in Black Orpheus.
    Outside of Folkways and Nonsuch (that may have been from further North) I never see any.

there's farily wide range of that stuff here. I try to pick them up whenever I see them, they're usually cheap and turn up in packs, I assume from people who had a few of them and sold them off all at once. JB de Carvalho is more studio produced, while there are others that are closer to field recordings. JB was also pretty prolific, apparently he started recording in the 30s but the LPs I usually find are from the 60s and 70s. I'm still learning what's good and what isn't in this genre, but our man moogman is the expert in this stuff.

Ppadilha your finds make me want to take a trip south... such a different lot of records to sift through and so many gems.
    A few records from a small dig of a dudes basement who'd been sitting on them so long all he thought was down there was Pat Metheny. (he had plenty, it's true) Lot's of 80's ECM , but he did have a couple of Tapscott's which he sold for peanuts. I'm really enjoying the Orsted Pedersen LP as well. Ventu Sol was a loooongtime want, lovin it. (did not come from dudes basement: mailinbox)

and last but not least one of these suckers finally freed up and I jumped on it.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    and last but not least one of these suckers finally freed up and I jumped on
    Great find! Looks super clean too.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Adcom GFP-710 Preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 Amp
    PSB Image B4 compact bookshelf speakers

The Adcom gear was from a Goodwill auction. They came with the original manuals and purchase receipts in a folder along with some nice cables. The speakers were from a local shop on clearance. They were their demo models that had only been used a few times and are hardly broken in yet.

There were some Sonus Faber Concerto speakers at the same Goodwill auction that went for $890 that were originally paired with this system. I was hoping to buy it all but didn't want to spend that much on the speakers, even though it was a good deal for them.

• black renaissance?!!?? a for real copy? Did you have to shell out?

Yeah man a for real true blue OG!!! I've been hunting that fucker since before I can remember, but never even seen a copy for sale. Lars had it (recordmania), for 4 1/2 c notes which I thought was fair considering its mint. Lucky I had delayed paying my taxes and was feeling baller! It slays the luvnhaight reish. I think there's a more recent japanese reish that probably took more care, though I haven't heard it.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Jeff Lorber has a tight rhythm section and IIRC, dude on the left is a proto-mulleted Kenneth G.

Yeah Kenny G played with Lorber. NWesteners. Pleasure were from here too.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Jeff Lorber has a tight rhythm section and IIRC, dude on the left is a proto-mulleted Kenneth G.

Very interesting! I actually picked up Kenny's 1983 Kashif produced LP last month. It was pretty dope.

Is there an a official cut off point, or date for when Kenny G transitions from redeemable 80s jazz-funkiteer to the Michael Bolton of jazz?