Finds

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
waltz for debbie is a vg dupe up for trade/sale...holler

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The Last bookstore in LA and a few on Ebay. Like an idiot I passed on a clean David Porter for 8bucks, and later picked it up for 20. David Axelrod is dope. Norman Connors is real dope. I thought I had enough of the heavy bass/rhodes fusion shit, but gave the Buster Williams a try. It's good. For me, the Starship Orchestra record produced by Norman Connors is the winner out of the 80s soul bunch. The man can't do no wrong it seems. "Scandalous music for nice girls". come on man....

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Not pictured is Fireballet "Night On Bald Mountain" on Passport and some rap 12"s (Jazzy Jeff "The Magnificent", Dred Scott, Funky Aztecs, Y'all So Stupid, Sound In Color w/ Mumbles & Cut Chemist, Black Mafia)

I visited an antique shop and found five 16mm reels which originated from a mom-and-pop film production company in Pasadena (on the corner of Washington & Hill, to be exact) circa mid 50s-early 60s. I did a little research and found out that the owner, William E. Brusseau, was involved with Christian missionary work ("Skid Row Stopgap" is about helping the homeless in Memphis. One unlabeled can is "Journey Into Darkness" about aid workers in Sudan), the Pasadena Rose Parade (the guy I bought these from was talking my ear off about people constantly asking him to sell the footage of the parade's Walt Disney memorial from 1967, who he always turns down) and even directed a film ("Sea Of Souls" which was filmed in Japan). I don't know what "Kiss, Kiss and Flowers" is, but it could be something related to the now defunct French airline UTA (addressed to their downtown office somewhere around Grand Ave.) "Tokyo After Dark" (there were lot of Asian-themed films around that time, now that I think about it). can be seen streamed on Netflix or Amazon.

And he threw in this for a dollar

• Pretty sure its an og. I looked up the old "Spot the Reissue" thread but still not 100%.

Yellowed cardboard, 1101 on vinyl 1102 on cover, yellowed innersleeve, paste on back cover, LW and backwords Rs in the deadwax. Thick impression that runs through the Duane logo on the vinyl label. Can anyone help on this? For $5 it was worth the shot.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Treehouse said:

Pretty sure its an og. I looked up the old "Spot the Reissue" thread but still not 100%.

Yellowed cardboard, 1101 on vinyl 1102 on cover, yellowed innersleeve, paste on back cover, LW and backwords Rs in the deadwax. Thick impression that runs through the Duane logo on the vinyl label. Can anyone help on this? For $5 it was worth the shot.

Looks legit, congrats!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Nice finds Yuichi. That Axelrod slays for sure, from run in to run out. As does that Buster Williams. And the Bev and Duane is no slouch either... killer Detroit soul sounds.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Darn you web site!
    My whole long finds post disappeared.

img src="tapes 038" alt="" />
    Mostly rap cassettes out of an estate years ago, just out of storage.
    img src="posters 028" alt="" />
    4 on bottom left are new to me. All out of Seattle.
    img src="O'Jays" alt="" />
    Ohio Lakeside Express changed their name to Lakeside when Solar signed them.
    img src="Buddy Miles posters" alt="" />

Sorry about the random html code. I am not having a good day posting to the strut.

• Thrift/flea market finds from the past few weeks:

James Knight is in solid shape despite the cover.

• Electrode said:

I just found a record with that Record Connection sticker too haha. Was that a big place?

• damn, bob. where do you live?

BallzDeep said:

I just found a record with that Record Connection sticker too haha. Was that a big place?

I don't know. I assume it's this spot in Ephrata, PA, near Lancaster.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    damn, bob. where do you live?

forreal...those are ridiculous thrift/flea finds for 2015

Tree's $5 Invaders is pretty damn impressive, too.

• stratasphere said:
    Treehouse said:

Pretty sure its an og. I looked up the old "Spot the Reissue" thread but still not 100%.

Looks legit, congrats!

very strange, i don't believe the original came in shrink wrap...

Lots of stores did their own shrink wrapping.

Often on returns.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    milliondollars said:
    stratasphere said:
    Treehouse said:

Looks legit, congrats!

and I think it's been reissued again quite recently, but I've no idea if it's as good a reproduction as the previous one

• milliondollars said:
    stratasphere said:
    Treehouse said:

Looks legit, congrats!

I know of about half a dozen OGs that have turned up in shrink (there's several on popsike), so it almost certainly was. The copy pictured here is OG.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Copped these reissues at a thrift. Almost passed on 'em but saw that it was from '81 and out of Compton? Had to be funky, and it was. Anyone know the story about these reissues? A lot of the ended auctions state 'em as "digitally remastered". The Greatest Hits has a bunch of the Star Birth artists on it. Solid stuff.

photo 2015-02-08 22.50.30_zpsyjkjsk99.jpg
     photo 2015-02-08 22.50.51_zpsnhilbput.jpg

Glam Rock acetate^^^^^

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

wow

LaserWolf said:
    Glam Rock acetate^^^^^

Nice. That's one of ten which were pressed.

From last week. The two on the right are Copperpenny and Loadstone.

And this sealed

The wiki might be a little confused.
    Or this might be something else.
    Wiki talks about a pressing of 10 45s with 2 songs.
    This is a one song 10" acetate.

It occurred to me that it could possibly be an acetate done for the 2005 reissue.
    But I doubt it.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Electrode said:

That Carlos Malcolm is so good. I pick it up every time i see it.

^Some of these were just caused they were sealed.

Rita Graham is wonderful, never had it before, Karie Hillery was sealed for $1, turns out it is sought after private press soft rock, Melvin Sparks sealed, but not bargain priced.

Mid 80s eurodisco.

Rock

Jazz

Marlon McClain hometown hero

• nice haul laser!!!! you're going to have an excellent weekend.

Forgot to mention, Eugene Record Show haul. The Eurodisco and a few others were from the Eugene Goodwill.

I'm off again this weekend to buy more, back East in the Old West.

I left Annie behind, but was happy to snag 2 clean AEIOUs.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Happy March everyone. These were all pulls from the hood over the past few weeks. (xcept the Steve Reid, he was mailbox)