People records label

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
I've always been curious if there's any relevance to the different colored labels - either red or purple. Different pressing plants? First pressings? East coast and west coast pressings?

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    More than likely it has something to do with East/West distribution. I have 8 of the 10 People LP releases and the only red labels I have are a pair of Lyn Collins second album. The only other red label People Lps I've seen were Doing It To Death and Youngeinstein sold them.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think they just changed the label when it was time. Just like Capitol had the yellow-orange swirl on their 45s for most of the sixties, but switched to the red-orange target design at the end of the decade.

As for People, they had three label designs that I know of, and none were simultaneous. I'm guessing gray (1970), purple (1971), and red (1973).

• I've been searching the internet trying to find an image of what Peoples Records company 7" sleeves looked like, specifically for the purple label releases. Can anyone help?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've never seen a company sleeve for those.