Foxcatcher

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
Anybody see this? See Avatar.

There's a decent copy with Arabic subtitles floating around the interwebs.

I thought it was fucking awesome and Oscar worthy. The Du Pont dynasty is my new found obsession basically because they are inbred drug addicts who feel they are above the law based on wealth.

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    That video is facemelting.

• amazing film, best i have seen in many months. strange and subtle. carrell is a revelation in that role but the others actors are great too. many memorable scenes and lines, but one that sticks out is when mark is negotiating "spousal support" for his brother. so heavy.

anyone else check this one yet, screener copies on the torrents?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I don't doubt that it's a great film but I think it would just creep me out - reading the actual story already did.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I remember when this happened, and wanting the inside scoop.
    I need to see it.

• jimster, the sub-text in the movie is essential.

lazer - the movie doesn't give any obvious or literal explanation for what happened but it is all there in said subtext.

i want you dudes to watch this thing so we can discuss the ambiguities...

• Would you recommend reading the back story before or after seeing the film?

• just go in cold and report back with your thoughts...

• ok I'm gonna have to watch this now...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanks for the tip, I probably would have missed this. Great film. Some moments were so ripe with awkwardness, they literally had me squirming in my seat...

Amazing work by all three lead actors.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    finally watched this. it was strange how it moved between being droll and pensive. carell does an interesting impression of du pont.

it covers a long period, and i didn't love how it was constructed/edited in that respect.

the ending was shocking.

crabmongerfunk said:

i want you dudes to watch this thing so we can discuss the ambiguities...

my wife swears that during that one brief scene where carell and tatum have a nighttime wrestle, there was some hanky panky going on.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Check this on Netflix.... great documentary on the paranoid coke head John Dupont and his pet poverty stricken wrestler friends.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    RAJ said:

Check this on Netflix.... great documentary on the paranoid coke head John Dupont and his pet poverty stricken wrestler friends.
    That was an interesting, but tough watch. I feel for all the people involved. 

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Back when the shooting happened I was really fascinated. Wondering what was going on in the world of the super rich.
    So when the movie came out I wanted to see.
    Took me a long time, saw it last summer.
    Not a fun movie, the whole thing is sickening.

The repressed homosexuality that Ketan's wife noted is certainly there.
    Raj, thanks for the documentary, been meaning to watch that.

The most surprising thing is that he was not able to avoid jail.
    I guess that is the point of the whole story, despite his wealth he was unable to buy athletic prowess, true respect, friendship, love and in the end freedom.