TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ha, you bet it's connected. I believe the phrase, rendered a la deutsche, might be kunt-struckhen.

Welcome back Junior, yes flat is finished and residence has been tooken, come visit when the pull of Albion gets too strong.

Recommend you not to make a heart-tug Brit mix, but follow the Euphoric Strolling playlist template with liberal sprinkling of KPM bubbling bass classics, EZ funk string extravaganzas and Edward Woodward ersatz J. Barry wall of sound post-war brass bombs.

As for XTC, was playing the singles collection as an aide to ironing last week, and feeling it. Random flashbacks to pudding basin bassist haircuts, Andy Partridge meltdown stories, and pooh-poohing their LPs.

Talk Talk...
    Earlier stuff to synths poppy, later stuff to maaaaad, leaving s golden era of precisely one 45, Life's what you make it.

Apologies to the many fans of their freak out period.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    All I recall is "Making Plans For Nigel" and "Senses Working Overtime" from TOTP and early secondary school builders-radio memories. The two are kind of intertwined, as getting into music as a kid was like a right-of-passage towards... I dunno, getting that bit cooler?

Unfortunately, the primary music-way tribes in our neck of the woods at that time were "Mod" (The Jam, 2-Tone and dem) or Heavy Rock (Sabbath, Priest, Zep), both of which, thanks to a strong recognisable dress code, drowned out any subtler voices.

I was aware of Chic and Motown but there wasn't a Local Black Experience for me to relate to. Full on grown-folk dressing-up Saturday Night Fever disco palaver was not happening in Widnes, that's for sure. It may as well have been happening on Mars.

There was a faint hint of Ted Revival, and a lingering odour of punk, but as adoption of their dress codes risked severe beatings by the larger tribes, their impact on me was reduced. Your Ziggy Stardust types wouldn't have got out the front door without a kicking. I guess these kind of constraints forged the likes of Morrisey and other shoegaze torchbearers to hone their lyrics from the safety of their bedrooms.

In such simple times, nascent tastes were shaped by what the top 40 contained. We weren't old enough to go to gigs in London town and be part of any kind of bleeding-edge fashion scene. The pigeon holes were few and seemed easily defined, so regarding XTC - they'd be in the Buzzcocks, Rizillos, Stranglers, Dr. Feelgood etc. box - I guess kind of punky new wave (?). Any more nuanced terms were not on my radar. Notice how American stuff wasn't really that relevant to us.

But I guess somehow new-wave begat new romanticism and the playing field was levelled in the mid-80s for the likes of men wearing makeup (Oakey, Duran, Japan and dem) and it being acceptable to dress how the f*ck you wanted without anyone batting an eyelid. The influence of Hip Hop and Electro also blew the choices for young people wide open.

My folks tell me that this is progress and that it was worse in their day, because everyone dressed like miniature versions of their parents. Nowadays, the parents are dressing like the kids.

• J i m s t e r said:
    All I recall is "Making Plans For Nigel" and "Senses Working Overtime" from TOTP and early secondary school builders-radio memories. The two are kind of intertwined, as getting into music as a kid was like a right-of-passage towards... I dunno, getting that bit cooler?

Unfortunately, the primary music-way tribes in our neck of the woods at that time were "Mod" (The Jam, 2-Tone and dem) or Heavy Rock (Sabbath, Priest, Zep), both of which, thanks to a strong recognisable dress code, drowned out any subtler voices.

I was aware of Chic and Motown but there wasn't a Local Black Experience for me to relate to. Full on grown-folk dressing-up Saturday Night Fever disco palaver was not happening in Widnes, that's for sure. It may as well have been happening on Mars.

There was a faint hint of Ted Revival, and a lingering odour of punk, but as adoption of their dress codes risked severe beatings by the larger tribes, their impact on me was reduced. Your Ziggy Stardust types wouldn't have got out the front door without a kicking. I guess these kind of constraints forged the likes of Morrisey and other shoegaze torchbearers to hone their lyrics from the safety of their bedrooms.

In such simple times, nascent tastes were shaped by what the top 40 contained. We weren't old enough to go to gigs in London town and be part of any kind of bleeding-edge fashion scene. The pigeon holes were few and seemed easily defined, so regarding XTC - they'd be in the Buzzcocks, Rizillos, Stranglers, Dr. Feelgood etc. box - I guess kind of punky new wave (?). Any more nuanced terms were not on my radar. Notice how American stuff wasn't really that relevant to us.

But I guess somehow new-wave begat new romanticism and the playing field was levelled in the mid-80s for the likes of men wearing makeup (Oakey, Duran, Japan and dem) and it being acceptable to dress how the f*ck you wanted without anyone batting an eyelid. The influence of Hip Hop and Electro also blew the choices for young people wide open.

My folks tell me that this is progress and that it was worse in their day, because everyone dressed like miniature versions of their parents. Nowadays, the parents are dressing like the kids.

I don't have much to say other than I identify with and appreciate this post. Especially the School/radio memories. I was in junior school around that time though.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ha, yes, there is always a Damen involved somewhere. Yep still in the medical business - got out and took a job in digital marketing as a stop gap option while reviewing my choices. Discovered that was a whole nother level of soul destroying bleakness and have now gladly returned to the world of health, though this time working for the American dollar. In euros. Which is kind of a loss all round.

M*rk sorry to hear you are suffering - if it makes you feel any better I spent the first week here proclaiming how well I now felt out of the London smog before coming down with a snot gushing disease whose phlegm filled sniffles I have been haunting people on the commute with ever since. I also believe in many ways you were the initial abandoner, foregoing city life for some remote countryside which I wager takes longer to get to from London than Germany....

Congrats on the apartment Skel, good things come to those who wait and invest early, I would very gratefully check out the pad when I am in the neck of the woods. Appreciate your thoughts on the XTC boys and also the journey down the memory lane Jimster, despite you blatantly being born in around 1985. They are a weird group, I was listening to their big three albums and they would just sort of pass by before something like Nigel, No Thugs In Our House or Language In Our Lungs came on and earwormed straight into my brain. My own early days were filled with The Wall and The Beatles depending on which parent had control of the player and I only really started discovering music when Adam Ant turned up. I haven't stopped being dandy since.

Speaking of which, the guy in the shop was playing Human League's cover of Loving Feeling which then led me to try and recall an early song of theirs my friend had on single. All I seem to recall was that it was a post apocalyptic theme, maybe a b-side?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ah, found it, it was the Dignity Of Labour EP. Oh Oakley, what could have been.

Pleased to report that I generally avoided two many morose playlists on the way out of London - no doubt in part to always kind of feeling like a stranger on these or any shores anyway. In actual fact I went on a dedicated hunt around for as much cheap North West Rhine vinyl as I could find which, considering where I was moving to, was not the sharpest move I've made.

• Class Of 92(whole doc)

Watched this last night finally.
    Enjoyable watch but I would have liked to have seen more people speaking on them/that time.
    Tony Blair was every bit as irritating on this film as he was back then...popping up suddenly, latching onto the famous with nothing to add really.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

If Man U had stuck with Moysie (like they promised they would!) then I could probably bring myself to watch that, but as Van Gaal is threatening a resurgence it doesn't feel safe yet.

Canada.

• Duderonomy said:

If Man U had stuck with Moysie (like they promised they would!) then I could probably bring myself to watch that, but as Van Gaal is threatening a resurgence it doesn't feel safe yet.

I think Van Gaal is getting an easy ride from the fans. United aren't doing much better than last season under Moyes, plus they had no Europe or League Cup to deal with. He has spent a load of money and they are far from cohesive. Blokes reputation precedes him big time in my opinion.

Bit like his hair and forehead then

• J i m s t e r said:

Canada.

hey, we're trying okay

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Canada.

hey, we're trying okay

• Very happy right now.
    Big win over Arsenal today.
    The teams average age was 23.5.
    Two consecutive London Derbies where we put in a lot of hard work and were confident. Didn't lay down...we wanted it more.

Big month for us coming up.

Spurs were deserving winners. Arsenal missed Alexis and the intensity he brings, I'm not sure that Ramsey is fully fit yet and Walcott definitely wasn't ready for that game.

Harry Kane had a blinder. I was expecting Spurs to score and then Kane got that brilliant header. Damn.

Man if I could get Harry Kane to pick me 6 lotto numbers right now I'd be all over it.

Hahah, yeah, he's on a hot-streak.

Model Ariany Nogueira on the impact of modern technology: “Social media has changed our game. Footballers still marry respectable ladies, but now they also pursue the more exotic ones online. You know, every day I’m surprised by my inbox.”

Is that what she calls it?

Duderonomy said:

Hahah, yeah, he's on a hot streak

I'll say. The lad could fall into a barrel full of football presenters and come out with Gabby Yorath clamped round his nuts.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    let us take a moment to appreciate this kid, obviously the weekend's greatest hero:

[removed][removed]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Well. ok. :lush:

• Good game.
    Gutted to have that sack of shit score the winner.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A proper little goldmine of Liverpool-related live tapes and other things here, mainly from the punk/post-punk era. A few Patti Smith shows from 1976 as well.

Thanks Doc, will be hitting that up.

Bunnymen reminded me of this 1982 flyer, which I observed last week whilst confirming "Now Is The Time To Forget The Whimpering Child and Become The Warrior" was a real band name and not a figment of my imagination. Note the frankly bumbaclark keyboard rendering... UNLESS HOWARD JONES INDEED HAD SUCH A DEVICE.

I've noticed that I'm not seeing images properly on teh Strut - a browser problem? Everything seems to get cropped.

b/w

Skel, what's going on with Greece? I think that in the long-run they will be best served by defaulting and leaving the EU. Ill-informed as I am, I distrust the banks and the governments and quantative easing, I haven't even read the sordid details of the HSBC money-grubbing*, but I'd want out of the whole mess if I was Greek, accept the painful short-term, and become a very cheap holiday destination in the long-term.

*will the UK banks ever be held to account/strung up by the balls?
    :balla:

L*o, it's a big image but Firefox resizes it accordingly - dependent on your browser, YMMV.

I have paid for flights to a Greek island this summer... Here's to hoping man can eat, drink and be merry errnight and still have change from a fiver. There has to be some payback for sh!tting into a hole and wiping your Todd Rundgren on paper towels that can't be flushed thanks to Minoan-era plumbing.

BONUS BEAT: The Smell of the Paper Towel Bin

Although things might be different now they have had their nose in the EU trough for a while?

Real Gloabtrotteurs to speak on it.

Been to Rhodes and it was fully-plumbed from what I remember. Also, they served Swordfish in every restaurant I ate at.

RE: browsers. I'm

I have to use the major 3 browsers (ie, ff and chrome) for test purposes. It's a shame MS and Google are competitors because they seem to go out of their way to f*ck each others products off when co-existing on the same box. I am FF mainly because the AdBlock plugin is so good.

Good to hear the Greaks have stepped up their #2 game. Plan is for Santorini. Looks nectar in the pics. Only grey cloud is no work beyond end of the month, so far. Perhaps, as the flights are paid for, we can just kip in the caves and scrounge swordfish scraps.

Or have the Albanians got that game on lock? WMIC.

• Chelsea fans making this as appropriate as ever...

Anyone watch City/Barca?

Frustrating one to watch. I can see why MP went 442 because he'd been accused in the past of showing Barca too much respect. But taking the Barca approach of "This is how we play and YMD" isn't going to work unless you are better than your opponent. Even before this kicked off, no-one could genuinely think City were a better side than Barca.

Fact is they have they best midfield in the world. The only tactics that are going to work, it seems to me, are ones that do not engage their midfield. That leaves two approaches:

1) Park da bus, 11-Spartan style AKA The Mourinho. To be fair, MP stated from the first day on the job that he would play attacking football after Mancini was accused of being "Too Italian". It's just not in his repetoire. But JM has got past Barca every time using this approach, by frustrating them forward and catching them on the counter. JM also signed great back fours at Chelsea, unlike City, and they also had Drogbreath who won everything in the air, which suited...

2) Play long ball or wing/cross. It's not City's forte as their wingers aren't brilliant and the one "Big Man" is as consistent as a 20-sided die. But it did appear to work in the 2nd half and opened up the kind of opportunity City scored from.

Long ball/bus parking is often seen as an admission of futility or lack-of-ideas, but against a superior opponent, you have to be smart - damage limitation and maybe frustrate them into a mistake. It's simply a case of one side being better at football than the other, and how you deal with that.

There is no shame in being smart, the only shame was that it took two goals to make MP change his mind. City can surprise away, but I think it's too big of an ask unless everything goes right for City and it all goes wrong for Barca.

I saw the second half and thought it tedious. I hate the Barca style, bores me to tears.

Neither Man City nor Arsenal can ever win this thing in their current guises.
    For city it's about getting a manager who exudes confidence and balls; for Arsenal its about embracing again that Vieira Petit ugly side.
    Both need new management.
    The lad at Brentford, or Bournemouth.