Milwaukee Summerfest 45

2»

Comments

• The drums were on a comp.
    Don't know the name of the comp but I have seen/heard it 1st hand.

After the drums some bassline/keyboard comes in or something.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't believe it's a local band. Chuck Colbert is listed as the songwriter, and he's definately not from Milwaukee.

Didn't know if he was in the actual group or not. I've never read any information about the musicians themseves (link, please?) I wasn't trying to start some big beef-a-roni thread - just the facts, folks.

• The 45 has no band listing, no local musicians participated in the making of the 45 as far as I know. It's basically a library cut. It was an assingment for a studio. Probably in Chicago. Although Colberts from Louisiana.

Brent

• Sounds like a great read Phill...but Amazon has it as 'currently unavailable' - any info on when it's being released?

'Til then I've got to finish 'Can't Stop, Won't Stop,' which has been quite good so far.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The 45 has no band listing, no local musicians participated in the making of the 45 as far as I know. It's basically a library cut. It was an assingment for a studio. Probably in Chicago. Although Colberts from Louisiana.

Brent

Thanks.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I've known about this record for a number of years but never found a copy. Hopefully this thread will turn some up. I do have it on cd that a friend made for me. As far as the Marley story, i was told that BIZ had the record and gave or brought it to Marley and showed him the beat and put him up on it etc. Now here is the REAL question! Where are the pianos from at the beginning of the video when they are walking into the saloon???????? Alkaholics used them. Don't tell me Otis Redding either!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Sounds like a great read Phill...but Amazon has it as 'currently unavailable' - any info on when it's being released?

Wish I could tell you, hommie... I got the v.i.p. hookup so mine came a little early, but I'd assume that it's gonna be out very very soon. A lot of good details on the makings of most of the greatest golden era rap albums. There's still a lot of unanswered questions if you want to get all nitpicky, but overall it's a must-read for any rap history buffs who wants to know a little bit extra about hip hop's greatest (IMO) era.

Man, there's a LOT of Hip Hop history books out right now that I need to get... "Can't Stop Won't Stop", the book with all the old old school photos and the Kool Moe Dee "There's A God On The Mic" book too.

• Man, there's a LOT of Hip Hop history books out right now that I need to get... "Can't Stop Won't Stop",

Highly recommended!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Where are the pianos from at the beginning of the video when they are walking into the saloon???????? Alkaholics used them. Don't tell me Otis Redding either!

"Chest Fever" by The Band? I always thought it might be...

• Thanks Phil! I'll just keep checking back at Amazon. You're right - there a lot of good hip-hop books out right now. That Kool Moe Dee one should be worth a read. I recently read 'Yes Yes Y'All: An Oral History of Hip-Hop's First Decade' which was really good too, and had a lot of old fliers and other images.

Good stuff!