Boston, What's good (2015 Edition)

beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
I lurk sometimes here, or post pretty forgettable stuff, so any help could be seen as a truly selfless act.

I am hitting Boston on Thursday for a week or so to visit friends, any tips for a record nerd visiting from Scotland would be most appreciated.

I spend a lot of time travelling about Scotland anyway, so i don't mind time travelling around.

Probably gonna ditch my luggage and take records back, so some record spots would be good.

Also some nice clubnights would be good to know about, i can obviously ask google, but i figure since i would be able to direct people to things off the beaten track here, that someone here might be able to do the same.

Comments

• The vibe here is dope next Thursday - http://alillouder.com/allgood/

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    Thanks, i will most probably swing down to this if it is full of good people.

I'll be the drunken scottish guy dancing badly

• I know nothing about Boston. But I have received great recommendations from Soul Strut people in the past.

I hope you have an amazing trip. I also respect your willingness to trade luggage for records.

May the Vinyl Gods shine good luck down upon your digging adventures!!

BeatChemist said:
    I know nothing about Boston. But I have received great recommendations from Soul Strut people in the past.

I hope you have an amazing trip. I also respect your willingness to trade luggage for records.

May the Vinyl Gods shine good luck down upon your digging adventures!!

Haha thanks, the vinyl gods have shone good luck so far, and a mixture of yelp and record store guy recommendations have yielded alright food places too.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Get ready for some good 'ole New England snow tomorrow!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    beezerholmes said:
    I lurk sometimes here, or post pretty forgettable stuff, so any help could be seen as a truly selfless act.

I am hitting Boston on Thursday for a week or so to visit friends, any tips for a record nerd visiting from Scotland would be most appreciated.

I spend a lot of time travelling about Scotland anyway, so i don't mind time travelling around.

Probably gonna ditch my luggage and take records back, so some record spots would be good.

Also some nice clubnights would be good to know about, i can obviously ask google, but i figure since i would be able to direct people to things off the beaten track here, that someone here might be able to do the same.

Hey,

Make sure you hit up Nuggets Records in the Commonwealth. I had a nice come-up there in summer 2012. Have a nice trip!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:

Hey,

Make sure you hit up Nuggets Records in the Commonwealth. I had a nice come-up there in summer 2012. Have a nice trip!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thanks man, i'm about to hit that side of town, so hopefully it's open. Already spent an absolute fortune in various spots and got loads of records. Disco records are basically free here, it's great!

• just saw this sorry! I imagine you found in your ear in allston, thats the spot! get some indian buffet while your here we have a lot of solid ones, the best are in Jamaica Plain. Cheapo records in central sq is a good spot. Im playing this friday near there at ZuZu this coming friday if you're still around. I'd offer to show you around a bit but Im mixing down an LP all week so I'm trapped in the house until i finish. Kon plays at middlesex on saturdays.

Yeah, i did Cheapo, In Your Ear, Weirdo, Nuggets and a few other places. I have eaten so much food since i have been here i feel ill now, i'm staying in Jamaica plain.

I wish i could take you up on your offer, but i am having to go back to sunny scotland tomorrow to dj.

I wish i could have seen you, and Kon, that would have topped off my stay really.

I will be back with a bigger suitcase.

• Beezer,
    I'll be spinning hip hop and soul at GOOD LIFE BOSTON
    On sat jan 31st. 28 Kingston street. Hopefully see you there!

Peace, stein...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    B-bump! Here for a few days, DJing a friends wedding in Waltham(?). Hoping to check out a few of the record stores listed above, but any other suggestions? Anything cool really. First visit here.

• Weirdo is gone, unfortunately.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    Weirdo is gone, unfortunately.

man, that didn't last long. I remember selling the proprietor a few Folkways at M*** SoulOnIce's JP record sale when she was getting ready to open a few years back. Bummer.

• DB_Cooper said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Weirdo is gone, unfortunately.

man, that didn't last long. I remember selling the proprietor a few Folkways at M*** SoulOnIce's JP record sale when she was getting ready to open a few years back. Bummer.

Six years as a store, 9 in business. I sold her a bunch of Caroliner records at one of those JP sales before she opened the store, too.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    Six years as a store, 9 in business. I sold her a bunch of Caroline records at one of those JP sales before she opened the store, too.

That's actually not that bad—I tend to forget that I moved away from Boston 5 years ago. Never happy to see a store close though.