Old school Miami booty bass resurgence

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
One thing I picked up from that weird Hemol post from last year was a link to some of these Booty Bass resurgence videos. Synth cowbells? Count me in!

Didn't know the circa 1990 sound was back (looks like I am a few years behind, but who pays attention to Miami anyway?)

I know someone on here is all about obscure 2,000 views South Florida regional hip hop - fill me in.

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    The Strut is letting me down here.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I vaguely remember what you're talking about. Post some YouTubes.

parallax said:

Electro... bass... I feel like it's 1990.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I remember this being a 'thing' about 2006 to 2008 with groups like spank rock/bangers & cash and the baille funk thing diplo was doing.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    parallax said:

I like the sound on this, but the rapping (or whatever that noise is) ruins it. I can appreciate ignorant rhymes/delivery, but that's pretty bad.

That said, I haven't heard much of that sound since. It would seem that bad rap backed with EDM still rules the day.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, what was the last great/good bass song? i'm going to say "scarred."

parallax said:
    Grafwritah said:
    parallax said:

I like the sound on this, but the rapping (or whatever that noise is) ruins it. I can appreciate ignorant rhymes/delivery, but that's pretty bad.

That said, I haven't heard much of that sound since. It would seem that bad rap backed with EDM still rules the day.

Don't know if it's intentional or not but their rapping style sounds like a lot of those 1985-1990 groups. Not saying it's great but I think it fits into the era of the sound.

SIRUS said:
    yeah, what was the last great/good bass song? i'm going to say "scarred."

Good question. My knowledge is limited to the occasional DJ Magic Mike album.

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    My buddy Tom makes a lot of Miami Bass influenced stuff under the name Lockah and another name.

He also puts a lot of that stuff in his dj mixes, he did a mostly Miami mix for Serato recently, might be some joints you guys know in this. I think i have the tracklist for it somewhere.

The DJ Craze Bass Sessions mixtape is the best modern day look back on this sound that i have heard.

I picked up this 12" recently that had a touch of the Booty sound to it, has there been much more stuff coming out that references it?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm not so much into booty bass, but I love this kinda quad ish...

I liked DJ Magic Mike (Orlando, technically, but still) because he did the bass thing while still sampling heavily and not leaning as hard on the synth instruments. He had MC Madness on a bunch of stuff who kind of sounded like the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz to me though.

• Disco D - A night at the booty bar

and of course DJ Assault.